Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Post by Wormwood »

And Pelton gives us a C- (C minus)

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Wormwood wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:14 am
Warren is toast. He's gone for another PG.
Trading away our second highest scorer makes me nervous.

SDC

Post by SDC »

milos is doable. i wonder if lin can be acquired from atlanta

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:28 am
FWIW

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1035481730214449152

I don’t get it
Don’t trade your only starting pg until you have another.

it kills our leverage when seeking a decent pg and we may be left with a gaping hole at pg. it’s the reverse order of how it should be done. Like when we signed chandler before Aldridge
Maybe McD wanted to do this in case his trade of knight fell through and we had another disgruntled pg yet again.

We still have log jams though. Anderson will want minutes
And even if you are high on Melton ( I don’t know his game very well), we still have two rookie pgs to develop.

Hope they get something done before camp. Would be nice to start the season without the dread of roster imbalance hanging over us yet again

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

If someone would have offer me the chance to pull off a trade, or wait for either Chriss or Knight to develop into something valuable, I just would have asked for two things: No dead or longer years salary coming our way, and No picks going out. So I can't complain on a sincere manner, wanting to win a trade were you basically are doing pure and plane dumping is excessive. Could we have done better? ALWAYS.

I hate Chriss "game" and overall self entitlement attitude (True Morrii heir), to the point that just reading about him was getting to my nerves, was glad that summer league and the offseason strongly signaled that he was not part of our plans and were keeping him out of harm's way. It also solves the self inflicted problem of having TWO players penciled as "our PF of the future", NOW it's Bender's turn to take a leap to justify that label , I has been on Bender's Island every day since draft day, but year three must be bring a clear improvement. (Looking for a "Joe Jhonson out of Penny's shadow and mind games" kind of growth, in a off the court).

Regarding Knight, Hope was the word to describe him, so I think at the very least I will enjoy that I won't have to keep reading hate-posting toward the guy everytime frustration boils, and this year will come with plenty days like that, and there is a new open field for the "Scapegoat of the season hat"

Anderson shouldn't be the starter, I even think that if we manage his minutes carefully, we can develop some value to a contender at the tradeline (that was the plan with Knight anyway) and make a neutral dump again. We were forced with Brandon to push the envelope, our wings army spare us from that pressure with Ryan. Knight's presence also have us in a akward situation, because bringing another PG or trying Shaq, Okobo or any player on extended minutes would reflects horrible on his already dead value. And now we have this Melton guy (never heard of him) to work a 3 headed PG by comitee aproach, with young, hungry players trying to stick into the league. Knight was a "head too big" to combine with Okobo and Shaq.

I don't see us as an appealing destination next summer, so I would be fine with shopping this year and into the season to get quality players under contract -even 2 years short- to gap the bridge into the next gen team (Booker, Ayton and whoever makes the leap). Dragic would be great.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:43 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:28 am
FWIW

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1035481730214449152

I don’t get it
Don’t trade your only starting pg until you have another.

it kills our leverage when seeking a decent pg and we may be left with a gaping hole at pg. it’s the reverse order of how it should be done. Like when we signed chandler before Aldridge
Maybe McD wanted to do this in case his trade of knight fell through and we had another disgruntled pg yet again.

We still have log jams though. Anderson will want minutes
And even if you are high on Melton ( I don’t know his game very well), we still have two rookie pgs to develop.

Hope they get something done before camp. Would be nice to start the season without the dread of roster imbalance hanging over us yet again
If you first bring on board whoever you want, you land in a "New PG", Knight, Okobo and Shaq situation from wich start negotiations to ship out Brandon... it would have killed our chances of trading Knight as well. Sometimes you have to pick your poison, and this way, at the very least we cleared the house and can use our rookies on full display if "New PG" delays to arrive. In fact, your proposition is closer to a "signing chandler before Aldridge" situation, where we end up with dead weight after being caught in the middle of a two step move

Also consider that it could be lip service and spinning to keep the regular crowd engaged. Saying "We are going into the season with a 3 headed rookie PG to fight for a playoff spot" does not sounds as good as "We are looking for a Veteran PG to fight for a playoff spot".

"Suns are intent on making a playoff push this year", is already far fetched, no matter who is at PG (Perhaps Chris Paul)
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

dragic is coming back

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1035554511954366465

Nice little wrinkle here

Split T

Post by Split T »

As for what we target in the PG market. McD has actually been pretty smart this off-season and targeting players who defend and/or stretch the floor around Booker/Ayton. They've been targeting specific skills and outside of landing a star (Lillard and maybe Kemba, although I would be unsure about Kemba) I'd be very surprised if we went after a PG who doesn't fit that mold.

I would hate a move for Schroeder.. But he already got moved to OKC, so I think we're safe there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1035555334277005312

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

getting both dragic and milos would be a dream scenario for igor

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Why the Phoenix Suns traded Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight to Rockets
Greg Moore, Arizona Republic

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 154321002/
Looks like the Suns gave up on Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight, reportedly trading them to Houston for Ryan Anderson and De’Anthony Melton, right?

But isn’t it more likely that this is about the offensive system Phoenix wants to run under Igor Kokoskov next season – and money?
Chriss, a traditional power forward, just didn’t fit Kokoskov’s system.

Kokoskov won a European title with an uptempo, 3-ball reliant attack.

That calls for a stretch four, which would mean more time for Dragan Bender, who hasn’t proven he’s ready to contribute big minutes for a playoff contender.

Here’s where Ryan Anderson fits in. He’s a stretch-four, a career 38 percent 3-point shooter, and at 6-10, 240, he’s every bit as beefy as Chriss and can defend the post while committing just 3.5 fouls per 48 minutes. Plus, he’s a proven veteran.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

cj > lillard

Split T

Post by Split T »

The dragic-Igor connection would be fun, but dragic isn't the same dragic as 13-14. He's over 30 and has started the downhill trend. I think making a move for him would be pretty shortsighted and unwise. If it's for Ryan Anderson? Sure. If it's for TJ+Troy? Pass.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 am
dragic is coming back
Where did you see that? Link?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 am
SDC wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 am
dragic is coming back
Where did you see that? Link?
I took it as Wishful thinking.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am
The dragic-Igor connection would be fun, but dragic isn't the same dragic as 13-14. He's over 30 and has started the downhill trend. I think making a move for him would be pretty shortsighted and unwise. If it's for Ryan Anderson? Sure. If it's for TJ+Troy? Pass.
Dragic would make us competitive and serve as the floor general that Kov needs. I agree that the price is key. What in between deals would you also aprove? Chandler and Daniels?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure, Chandler and Daniels would be fine. Just not gonna pull from our core/youth to trade for dragic. (Booker, Ayton, Jackson, Bridges, Warren, Bender, Reed, Okobo, Melton, 1st round picks are off limits)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Possible PG targets:

Vet placeholders:
Goran Dragic
Darren Collison
Pat Beverley
Mike Conley
TJ McConnell

Up and coming backups:
Delon Wright
Tyus Jones
Spencer Dinwiddie
Tomas Satoransky
Terry Rozier
Cory Joseph
Malcolm Brogdon

Dream Target:
Markelle Fultz - I think he's going to have a big, big year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd happily take Dragic back, but I don't think he would ever want to play here again. Plus I'm not sure what asset Miami would want for him.