Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:46 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:31 pm
Of course, I'm just responding to the people who think we have too many PG's. We just have too many 3rd string pg's
My point isn't that we are "set" at PG or that we shouldn't try to acquire a good starting PG. My point is that I don't see why McDo bothered to sign like 4-5 PGs who are all so limited, mediocre, flawed, and marginal. Canaan? What's the point? Canaan and Harrison? Why? Then also drafting Okobo?
And also acquiring Melton? And we're also considering point Booker? And we're also trying to trade for Beverley or Jones? Why? That's not a coherent plan. That's just throwing feces at the wall and seeing what sticks. You don't win like this.
Harrison and Canaan are non guaranteed deals, what's the harm there? You thought drafting Okobo was a mistake? Should we have drafted another wing? It's unfortunate that we don't have a starting level PG, but there's nothing detrimental about having 4 pg's. Like I said earlier, we have 17 players on the roster, at least 1 position will have 4 guys on the depth chart.

And the point is we need a PG, we drafted Okobo and traded for Melton as future investments. They're not ready to play right away so we're trying to find a vet that can hold down the fort until they're ready. Canaan is a non guaranteed deal who is insurance in case we can't find that vet PG. Harrison is just a end of the bench situational guy who's worked hard and shown enough defensively to get a roster spot. I really don't see how that's difficult to understand. Say we land someone like Beverley and cut loose Canaan, would a Beverley/Okobo/Harrison/Melton depth chart be confusing?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mario Chalmers is out there as a FA.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I like this trade more and more as time has passed. Simply put, it's salary neutral and Anderson>>Knight and Melton>>Chriss.

The media made it seem like we were taken advantage of, but I think we took advantage or Morey's desperation to get rid of Anderson. Knight's knee clean-up (which the Suns knew about at the time of the trade) and McDonogh's "we see things that the public doesn't" comment reinforce that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think the issue here is Houston is always in the spotlight, so the national media has been very aware of the Anderson contract situation and how untradeable he is. We're after thoughts and Knight especially as he didn't even play last year. The media has forgotten that Knight was much worse than Anderson the last time he played and just as untradeable.

Unless Knight bounces back, he's gonna prove to be just as untradeable. Houston essentially saved a few million dollars to take a chance on Chriss and give up Melton.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm definitely happy with the trade. Didn't seem like Chriss was resilient or mature enough to overcome little hardships or setbacks. Both Knight and Chriss seem like really good dudes, but neither have really helped on the court. I think that Anderson can at least be as good as Mirza Teletovic was. Melton idk, but a lot of draft guys loved him for his length, defense and feel for the game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we should cut Canaan and maybe Harrison. We already have 2-3 other PGs on the roster. I'd rather see Okobo and Melton get those minutes anyway.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm
I think we should cut Canaan and maybe Harrison. We already have 2-3 other PGs on the roster. I'd rather see Okobo and Melton get those minutes anyway.
Why so down on Harrison?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:39 pm
King, Daniels and Canaan are waiver material.
I think King can become a very valuable role player.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 am
The media made it seem like we were taken advantage of, but I think we took advantage or Morey's desperation to get rid of Anderson. Knight's knee clean-up (which the Suns knew about at the time of the trade) and McDonogh's "we see things that the public doesn't" comment reinforce that.
I really like getting Melton, but Anderson was pretty much one of the most untradable players in the league. Probably only Joakim Noah had less value. We can say he is better than Knight, but that's because Anderson wasn't a Sun last year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am
Unless Knight bounces back, he's gonna prove to be just as untradeable.
I still think we could have started Knight, had him put up some numbers, and dealt him for an expiring contract.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure it was possible. It was also possible he struggled and we had to just eat his salary. I feel like Anderson is just as likely to produce enough to be tradeable for an expiring. His contract is worse, so that makes it a little tougher, but that's why we got Melton in the deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
What happens if Okobo and Harrison aren't ready? You can't just plan on rookies drafted in the 2nd round to take all the pg minutes. If they prove worthy, sure, give them the minutes, but you need someone that you can rely on. Canaan isn't anything special, but he's competent. And if Okobo or Melton are better, just bench Canaan and play the rookies. I see zero downside to Canaan on the roster.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:20 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 am
I really like getting Melton, but Anderson was pretty much one of the most untradable players in the league. Probably only Joakim Noah had less value. We can say he is better than Knight, but that's because Anderson wasn't a Sun last year.
This trade doesn’t happen without Anderson adjusting his contract. And if their 19-20 contracts are equal, how is Anderson less tradeable after their respective last 2 seasons (solid and functional for RA, awful and unavailable for BK) and with Knight coming into this season gimpy?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Anderson does still have the bigger deal this season and we only get the savings next year if we release him. So if you actually want Anderson to play next year, you'd have to pay him the full 21 million. At least that's how I understood it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think Knight's cleanup procedure is that big of a deal. He is still younger than Anderson. And Anderson's contract adjustment only matters if a team is willing to eat $15 million. Otherwise, as Split said, his deal is still larger than Knight's.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Why so down on Harrison?
I actually probably like Harrison best of the 4 PGs we have. I think I would have kept Harrison and Okobo and not signed Canaan and not traded for Melton. But I'm not sure because I haven't seen much of Melton yet. I guess my earlier post meant that now that we're in the situation we are in, Canaan and Harrison are the ones we can get rid of the easiest. I don't fully believe in any of these guys as starting NBA PG material.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If you're interested in hearing a solid breakdown of De'Anthony Melton, the first half of the most recent solar panel podcast has a rockets blogger(I think) who watched everyone of his summer league games.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's ok to go into training camp with a few marginal pg's on the roster. They can fight for the roster spots we have, and we can stay flexible in case a trade come sup.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Anderson does still have the bigger deal this season and we only get the savings next year if we release him. So if you actually want Anderson to play next year, you'd have to pay him the full 21 million. At least that's how I understood it.
We do have the option of releasing him and then signing him to a more reasonable deal. I would think that is an option.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is that possible? Can you waive someone, have their dead money on the cap and sign them again? Not sure that's allowed. Plus, we only save 6 million by releasing him. You're just cutting into that by signing him again.