Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Post by Split T »

I'd definitely give the bucks their pick back for Brogdon, but they wouldn't trade him for Bledsoe. Don't think they trade him now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Slightly disconcerting that Brogdon's assists dropped this past season (from 4.2 to 3.2) despite his minutes going up (from 26 to 30 mpg). I didn't watch almost any Bucks games last year, so I dunno if he was just used differently or what.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... dma01.html

I have also heard us attached to rumors about TJ McConnell. Slightly better assist numbers and also better shooting percentages, though in fewer minutes (22 mpg).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ntj01.html

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 pm
Slightly disconcerting that Brogdon's assists dropped this past season (from 4.2 to 3.2) despite his minutes going up (from 26 to 30 mpg). I didn't watch almost any Bucks games last year, so I dunno if he was just used differently or what.

Just Bledsoe coming in and taking over more ball handling duties

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:28 am
I don't think the Suns make this trade unless they believe Shaq Harrison is a better option for the starting pg than BK. That doesn't mean they aren't still shopping for a starting pg. Harrison is so intriguing for this team though.

1. When he was on the court last year for the Suns, he was a difference maker. He impacts the pg position like PJ Tucker impacts the forward position.
2. His defense and hustle are phenomenal.
3. He is a good passer, not great but good.
4. He is a top level athlete with speed and hops. He also has great size for a pg.
5. His motor is tops.

His problem is his shot. He shot in the low 20's from three last season. But don't look now, he shot 44% from three during summer league (he only put up 9 but still). If he can put up 35% or so from three when he is open, I do not see why he might not be our best option to start at pg--even among many of the players we are talking about trading for.
I could see this and word is that Shaq shot very well at another NBA skill camp after summer league. I think the thing that I'm most worried about with Shaq is his ability to get the ball into the post, but that might be a little of both Ayton and him getting the chemistry down. Besides, young players don't learn how to pass into the post anymore. It's just not part the the game growing up.

I really see the Suns improving a lot on both offense and defense this year. I know a lot of smart basketball people and comically puzzled and laughing at the roster construction, and mostly because of the PG position. I still think that McD makes a move for a starting PG, but we will find out that the young guys are going to be able to play and defend.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gambo says we've discussed Cory Joseph, Pat Beverley, and Spencer Dinwiddie

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:37 pm
Gambo says we've discussed Cory Joseph, Pat Beverley, and Spencer Dinwiddie
Not shooting the messenger here, but I don't like any of those guys. If our targeted veteran PGs are that marginal, we might as well just use the existing marginal PGs we already have. Or run point Booker, or whatever other foul experiment we may have planned.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Beverley would be a 1 year place holder. I'd be a little worried he's not the same player, but if he can be the defensive hound that shoots 40% from 3 that he was in Houston, I'd take him.

I'm pretty meh on Joseph.

Dinwiddie is interesting, he's got size and playmaking. Not sure how he is as a defender and his shot isn't as good as I'd like, but there's something to like there. I think he'd cost more than the other two though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I like Dinwiddie. A little too much ball-pounding for a PG but he’s very solid.

The Nets have 3 PGs, so he’s gettable.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Dinwiddie is a top level passer, poor shooter, and average defender.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dinwiddie is fun to say, isn’t it? Dinwiddie, Dinwiddie, Dinwiddie.

Here, take a toke.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Dinwiddie--Beverly----Joseph would be my order.

I love how Dinwiddie takes care of the ball and obviously his size for the position. His contract status is tricky, though. He'll become an UFA, but the team can negotiate an extension.

Beverly has the cache as the ultimate 3D point but health is not proven. Joseph is all around reliable, doesn't excel at anything and is probably over his head as a starter (I'd rather have Collison but I guess so would Indiana, unless they wanted to give the starting spot to Holiday right off the bat).

Would also call Minni about Ty Jones (but I've read they want to actually increase his role) and even CLE about George Hill (under contract for '19-20 at 19M but only 1M guaranteed).

In any case, just don't spend the MIL on a rental.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In any case, just don't spend the MIL on a rental.
This is my concern. We're going to give up something of value for another backup PG. Last week McD was supposedly targeting Lillard, Kemba and Rozier but probably got laughed off the phone by the other teams. Now he's calling about backups and a guy coming off microfracture surgery and a torn meniscus. Beverly was cleared in June but microfracture alone is no joke. He also hasn't exactly been an ironman during his career either. This a position McD puts us in too many times. Keep the picks, bring Chalmers or Jack in and call it a day.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 am
...bring Chalmers or Jack in...
Ugh. Somebody has to be willing to give us something better for one or two seconds. Otherwise I think I'd just go with Canaan and the kids.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 pm

I have also heard us attached to rumors about TJ McConnell. Slightly better assist numbers and also better shooting percentages, though in fewer minutes (22 mpg).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ntj01.html
That’s easy. Brogdon played more minutes at the sg position alongside Bledsoe.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:21 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:28 am
I don't think the Suns make this trade unless they believe Shaq Harrison is a better option for the starting pg than BK. That doesn't mean they aren't still shopping for a starting pg. Harrison is so intriguing for this team though.

1. When he was on the court last year for the Suns, he was a difference maker. He impacts the pg position like PJ Tucker impacts the forward position.
2. His defense and hustle are phenomenal.
3. He is a good passer, not great but good.
4. He is a top level athlete with speed and hops. He also has great size for a pg.
5. His motor is tops.

His problem is his shot. He shot in the low 20's from three last season. But don't look now, he shot 44% from three during summer league (he only put up 9 but still). If he can put up 35% or so from three when he is open, I do not see why he might not be our best option to start at pg--even among many of the players we are talking about trading for.
I could see this and word is that Shaq shot very well at another NBA skill camp after summer league. I think the thing that I'm most worried about with Shaq is his ability to get the ball into the post, but that might be a little of both Ayton and him getting the chemistry down. Besides, young players don't learn how to pass into the post anymore. It's just not part the the game growing up.

I really see the Suns improving a lot on both offense and defense this year. I know a lot of smart basketball people and comically puzzled and laughing at the roster construction, and mostly because of the PG position. I still think that McD makes a move for a starting PG, but we will find out that the young guys are going to be able to play and defend.
Learning to pass into the post has to be easier than improving your three point shot. Besides, I want Booker making that entry pass.

I would rather have Harrison that Corey Joseph.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

McD on the trade:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1661947/ ... ets-trade/

Pretty much says Chriss and Knight didn't fit in with how Igor is going to want to play offensively:
“A big part of it, not only with Marquese but with Brandon as well — with Igor Kokoskov and his staff coming in, they have new philosophies,” he said. “They have a very high-level offensive system that I think our fans will really enjoy watching because it’s pretty impressive and has proven to be effective over time.

“That being said, the pieces have to fit the system and there has to be a role in the system for certain players, and if there’s not a role, we look externally to see if there are players we can bring in to fit the system and play a role better.”
He likes Anderson's shooting ability, Melton's two-way potential. Says Okobo has "looked terrific" in pickup games, Harrison and Canaan played well last year but they all lack experience so they're on the look out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Is he saying, look, I liked the guys, but the coach said they wouldn't fit?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He's saying, Our new system requires high bball IQ.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:11 am
He's saying, Our new system requires high bball IQ.
And ball movement.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/AZSports/status/1039876030717034496

"We see more than the public does." Hmm.
"Be Legendary."