McDonough poll

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think of Ryan McDonough?

Love him! Easily the best GM we have had since Lance Blanks.
3%
Like him. Seems to be getting it.
17%
Poor-to-mediocre GM with room for improvement.
63%
#McDoOUT
17%

Total votes: 30

jonh

Re: McDonough poll

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:29 pm
Yup. BTW, I've enjoy your recent flurry of posts. You must be getting a little sleep. Family in town? ;)
I'm always here on the site! I read it several times per day. I just don't always have anything novel to say. But I've been a bit fired up lately, mostly with concerned-to-negative thoughts on our current roster. :-)
If there was a like button for a post, I would use it on this post.

Cap

Post by Cap »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:39 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:54 pm
I’ve been reading complaints lately about McDonough lovers. Just wondering how many there are.
You aren't going to find much love around these parts.
McD lovers are like the Illuminati. Just because people complain about them doesn’t mean they exist.
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am
I am just having a hard time seeing the minutes available if everyone is healthy, and that doesn't keep these guys happy, especially Warren who is established and years left on his contract.
I think Ariza and Anderson understand that they are veteran placeholders on a young rebuilding team. JJ and TJ will play, and will start if they earn it. Bender and Bridges will play if they earn it. The A’s fill in the gaps.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 am
I would really like to add a "Like" button to this site. I have tried installing a plugin to do it, but it didn't work. I may try again at some point. I think it can be done, but it's not trivial.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am
He's swung and missed a few times for sure. I'm sure we could make a list of biggest missed and missteps. I hope that he's learned from his mistakes, but I'm worried about having so many wings that will need playing time. Even though Anderson is a little bit of an upgrade to Chriss as far as spacing and fit with Ayton and Booker, he doesn't help the log jam at SF. In fact, he makes it worse as Ariza was going to be the starting PF and now is pushed back to the SF. I'm sure we'll see Ariza at PF quite a bit, but now his minutes at SF have increased. The only thing I can say as far as being positive about it is that having multiple SFs with position flexibility and defensive switchability is seen as a positive in the NBA nowadays. I am just having a hard time seeing the minutes available if everyone is healthy, and that doesn't keep these guys happy, especially Warren who is established and years left on his contract.
It's a very valid concern. I'm waiting to see how it plays out. Not even sure what the roster is going into the season yet. Not sure what Anderson has left or if there is any truth to him starting. Might have just been a way to dump Knight while picking up Melton. My understanding is we should hear something about Melton's contract in the next couple days.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 pm
jonh wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 am
I would really like to add a "Like" button to this site. I have tried installing a plugin to do it, but it didn't work. I may try again at some point. I think it can be done, but it's not trivial.
For an example, check out:

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum ... ix-suns.7/

Not sure if they're using the same software or not.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don't think it's possible to rate McDo as an independent entity. Over the years I've decided that as long as Sarver is around there's no way this team will achieve the type of heights that I as a fan aspire for. McDo has proven that, in certain instances he's able to make the best of terrible situations (Dragic trade, Markieff trade -- only the trade, not the fact that he had to be traded in the first place); on the other hand he tends to outsmart himself in other situations (Knight trade, Chandler signing). He's an average GM who could possibly have blossomed into something great if the team situation isn't so toxic, but we will never know.

So I went with the poor to mediocre option too.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I voted #McDoOUT with heavy emphasis on the Knight/Lakers pick trade. I just feel like that was such a clearly bad move, that I think 95% of the posters on this board never would have made that trade. And I just think that you have to be better than a bunch of fans on a message board.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

in certain instances he's able to make the best of terrible situations (Dragic trade, M******f trade -- only the trade, not the fact that he had to be traded in the first place)
He put himself in those situations.

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 am
in certain instances he's able to make the best of terrible situations (Dragic trade, M******f trade -- only the trade, not the fact that he had to be traded in the first place)
Of course, and I'm not absolving him of those situations. But viewed independently he was able to extract more than most (at least more than I) had thought possible, so that's a plus, and there are plenty of other minuses to his name.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:19 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 am
Of course, and I'm not absolving him of those situations. But viewed independently he was able to extract more than most (at least more than I) had thought possible, so that's a plus, and there are plenty of other minuses to his name.
I agree he made the most out of a terrible situation, but I don't think it was a net positive. Meaning, digging a 10 foot hole but making an 8 foot ladder isn't helpful. He is a net negative.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I"m not arguing this point, nor saying that I like McD as a GM. Simply listing some positives that I have seen over the years that can exclusively be charged to him. In terms of the negatives, I cannot always say that those issues are entirely due to him as I'm always suspicious of the Sarver factor. Maybe I'm overthinking it tho.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm
I"m not arguing this point, nor saying that I like McD as a GM. Simply listing some positives that I have seen over the years that can exclusively be charged to him. In terms of the negatives, I cannot always say that those issues are entirely due to him as I'm always suspicious of the Sarver factor. Maybe I'm overthinking it tho.
I see your point about Sarver. And I don't disagree. But my view is that he has a job to do, and his job is the same no matter who the staff is around him, below him, or above him. I think we have all had to manage our boss at times in our lives, and this is a job where that is a huge part. The 'influence without authority' should probably be #1 on the skill set you need to be a good GM in any sport.

pickle

Post by pickle »

You are right, but I've seen some extremes in my working career and in this case think that Sarver is not someone that can be managed, period.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 am
You are right, but I've seen some extremes in my working career and in this case think that Sarver is not someone that can be managed, period.
They may be the case, and I have seen it too. But wouldn't that support the case that McD hasn't been good in his job? The root cause doesn't matter.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

pickle wrote:
Sarver will always be Sarver. Best case he sells to the next great owner. 2nd best case, his other businesses keep him busy and he lets someone else run the team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 am
pickle wrote:
They may be the case, and I have seen it too. But wouldn't that support the case that McD hasn't been good in his job? The root cause doesn't matter.
Would you say the troops we sent into Vietnam were bad at their jobs, or would you say they were set up to fail by mismanagement at the top?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hoping Sarver sells is a waste of time. We can only hope he continues to evolve as an owner and lets the basketball people do their jobs while not meddling. Colangelo wasn't always the Godfather that he is today. He once tried to coach the team.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 am
Colangelo wasn't always the Godfather that he is today. He once tried to coach the team.
Twice actually, but on both occasions it was on an interim basis after the HC was fired mid-season,

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:37 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 am
pickle wrote:
Would you say the troops we sent into Vietnam were bad at their jobs, or would you say they were set up to fail by mismanagement at the top?
I would say that nearly everyone forced to go fight in a war against their will, will be bad at it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Colangelo knew basketball, and was always the final say on BBall decisions. Very few owners will be like him.

Sarver doesn't need to be a hoops guy, but he does need to be a good business guy. He needs to know how to hire and manage leaders, recognize value, and lead toward the big picture without getting distracted. He's terrible at all of those things.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan