McDonough poll

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think of Ryan McDonough?

Love him! Easily the best GM we have had since Lance Blanks.
3%
Like him. Seems to be getting it.
17%
Poor-to-mediocre GM with room for improvement.
63%
#McDoOUT
17%

Total votes: 30

Cap

McDonough poll

Post by Cap »

I’ve been reading complaints lately about McDonough lovers. Just wondering how many there are.

SDC

Re: McDonough poll

Post by SDC »

the poll should be whether he stays or goes

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:08 pm
the poll should be whether he stays or goes
It is. #McDoOUT means he goes, now. Anything else means he stays, at least for the moment.

I thought that was clear. Am I misusing the hashtag?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't see how anybody can realistically go above "Poor-to-mediocre GM with room for improvement". One may "like" him but it's way too early to be saying that he's "getting it". On the other hand, your highest choice, "Easily the best GM we have had since L___e B____s", is misleading. A rock would easily be the best GM we've had since Lance "Fill In The" Blanks.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Also, is there any question that James Jones is next in line if McDonough is let go?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m Lukewarm on McDonough, but we also have to acknowledge that a lot of his decisions are strongly influenced by either Sarver’s directive or his budget.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I went with "Like him." I don't think he is great, but I think he has made several savvy moves and drafted generally well. I think his biggest flaws are that he overthinks things and is too much of an analytical / "asset manager" type of GM who thinks about players' advanced ratings and perceived value more than how they actually form a team. The "Like" option I chose is a bit too kind relative to how I feel about McDo, but I didn't want to choose the "poor / mediocre" option because it seemed too harsh to me.

To put it another way, I am not at all eager to get rid of McDo. I think the guy who follows him is highly likely to be significantly worse. James Jones? Give me an effing break! I wouldn't trust him to GM our D-League team. I think there aren't very many truly great GMs / FOs in the league, and that compared to a lot of teams we are lucky to have McDo as our GM. I think he has significant room for improvement, but we could be doing so, so, so much worse.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:30 pm
I went with "Like him." I don't think he is great, but I think he has made several savvy moves and drafted generally well. I think his biggest flaws are that he overthinks things and is too much of an analytical / "asset manager" type of GM who thinks about players' advanced ratings and perceived value more than how they actually form a team. The "Like" option I chose is a bit too kind relative to how I feel about McDo, but I didn't want to choose the "poor / mediocre" option because it seemed too harsh to me.

To put it another way, I am not at all eager to get rid of McDo. I think the guy who follows him is highly likely to be significantly worse. James Jones? Give me an effing break! I wouldn't trust him to GM our D-League team. I think there aren't very many truly great GMs / FOs in the league, and that compared to a lot of teams we are lucky to have McDo as our GM. I think he has significant room for improvement, but we could be doing so, so, so much worse.
You make a good point that there should be a choice in between 2 and 3. I'd probably go with that.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

3 said poor to mediocre. I think mediocre describes how I feel he's been

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:06 pm
Yeah, but "X to Y" is a bad poll choice. "Poor" is very different from "mediocre." There should have been two choices.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Yeah, but "X to Y" is a bad poll choice. "Poor" is very different from "mediocre." There should have been two choices.
Yup. BTW, I've enjoy your recent flurry of posts. You must be getting a little sleep. Family in town? ;)
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:25 pm
Split T wrote:
That's true

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:30 pm

david griffin could take over for mcdo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm somewhere between poor to mediocre and McDoOut. I don't think there's that much room for improvement. I think he's just a bad GM who has no feel for how to put a team together and isn't that great at evaluating talent.

James Jones is absolutely being groomed for the job. Sarver went with a young, cheap, first time exec from a winning FO with McD and next he'll go with a young, cheap first time exec who's a former player from winning teams. Because prospective FAs are going to line up to take a meeting with James Jones on July 1st.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 am
I'm somewhere between poor to mediocre and McDoOut. I don't think there's that much room for improvement. I think he's just a bad GM who has no feel for how to put a team together and isn't that great at evaluating talent.

James Jones is absolutely being groomed for the job. Sarver went with a young, cheap, first time exec from a winning FO with McD and next he'll go with a young, cheap first time exec who's a former player from winning teams. Because prospective FAs are going to line up to take a meeting with James Jones on July 1st.
I went with out because I can't take "poor to average" as a single space on a poll about performance. But I am in the same place as you. I always wonder about owner meddling, but I still can't believe Ryan is having these stupid personnel issues this long into his career.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's tough to rate McD anything other than poor when the goal of sports is to win. If he really is playing the long game and the Suns are deep in the playoffs a few seasons from now, we can change how we rate him then.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:54 pm
I’ve been reading complaints lately about McDonough lovers. Just wondering how many there are.
You aren't going to find much love around these parts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:29 pm
Yup. BTW, I've enjoy your recent flurry of posts. You must be getting a little sleep. Family in town? ;)
I'm always here on the site! I read it several times per day. I just don't always have anything novel to say. But I've been a bit fired up lately, mostly with concerned-to-negative thoughts on our current roster. :-)

SDC

Post by SDC »

mcdo is sam hinkie. trust the process.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's swung and missed a few times for sure. I'm sure we could make a list of biggest missed and missteps. I hope that he's learned from his mistakes, but I'm worried about having so many wings that will need playing time. Even though Anderson is a little bit of an upgrade to Chriss as far as spacing and fit with Ayton and Booker, he doesn't help the log jam at SF. In fact, he makes it worse as Ariza was going to be the starting PF and now is pushed back to the SF. I'm sure we'll see Ariza at PF quite a bit, but now his minutes at SF have increased. The only thing I can say as far as being positive about it is that having multiple SFs with position flexibility and defensive switchability is seen as a positive in the NBA nowadays. I am just having a hard time seeing the minutes available if everyone is healthy, and that doesn't keep these guys happy, especially Warren who is established and years left on his contract.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass