Devin Booker underwent hand surgery and is out six weeks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Devin Booker having hand surgery and is out indefinitely

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 pm
Total bullshit. He had a boxers fracture repaired it sounds like. He injured it punching something or someone, very little doubt about that.
Did I miss something in the news on this? I thought it said "fifth metacarpophalangeal joint" surgery. Isn't that likely to be ligament damage there? Or some type of capsule damage? Is there a medical term I missed that highlighted it as a fracture?

Split T

Re: Devin Booker had hand surgery and is out six weeks

Post by Split T »

No, he was just guessing a boxers fracture as that deals with the same joint.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think saucy is a physician, which is why I was asking.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

http://arizonasports.com/story/1661825/ ... ckup-game/
“As you guys know he did have the injury late last year,” McDonough said, referring to a lingering issue for Booker during the end of the 2017-18 season for which he missed the final 12 games. “There were no symptoms over the summer. The hand died down, it calmed down a little bit, it looked good, there was nothing structurally wrong with it.”

The GM went on to explain that in recent weeks, the Suns have had members of their NBA roster in the gym for workouts and pickup games. That’s when the swelling happened.

“Just in one of those games, the hand swelled up,” he said. “There was no trauma that we could see — it wasn’t like he hit it or jammed it or anything stood out unusually while he was playing. The hand just swelled up.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ESPN was on where I was eating lunch with the sound off but closed captioning on and whoever was talking was talking about what a veteran move it was and how he was able to skip training camp and preseason and wait to get paid. I think he was talking out of his ass. The Booker I (think I) know wouldn't do that. Maybe the contract thing but would he really wait that long afterward to get it taken care of? I tend to believe Occam's Razor and that it just recently swelled up and needed to be taken care of. End of story.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Booker, with a new coach and system in place and talking of wanting to make the playoffs, would do that. Veterans have done stuff like this before, pretty sure Pippen and Shaq had minor surgeries taken care of right before training camp during their careers.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don' think Amare was ever cleared to play in training camp after 2003.

All the reports about Book are that he's the hardest worker and most demanding guy on the team even in practice, so I don't think he planned this to miss camp. I do think he's been ignoring his discomfort and still needs to learn when to listen to his body and get things taken care of.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Re: Devin Booker having hand surgery and is out indefinitely

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:57 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 pm
Total bullshit. He had a boxers fracture repaired it sounds like. He injured it punching something or someone, very little doubt about that.
Did I miss something in the news on this? I thought it said "fifth metacarpophalangeal joint" surgery. Isn't that likely to be ligament damage there? Or some type of capsule damage? Is there a medical term I missed that highlighted it as a fracture?
Nah, you didn’t miss anything. Honestly just me jumping to conclusions. That’s the most common injury at that site. See it weekly. It could very well be a ligament injury if he got the finger caught in a jersey or swapped at by another player, it’s just less likely than other fingers because of the size more likely one of your other fingers would get hit first.

McD was adamant today it’s something that just swelled up over time without obvious incident so I don’t know. They never gave any specifics about what was damaged, only the joint involved. Very suspicious. You never hear a player had knee surgery, they are always specific about what was done.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oh noes! And the trouble continues...

https://twitter.com/KTAR923/status/1039643246698196992

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Failing to appear in court for a speeding ticket? When you have a $156M contract and get a speeding ticket, you pay it. Why fight it?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Traffic school online. Never leave home. No points. Not that I would know...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm
Traffic school online. Never leave home. No points. Not that I would know...
When you’re that rich, why bother?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

All conjecture at this point but it sounds like Booker was being a dumbass.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:14 pm
All conjecture at this point but it sounds like Booker was being a dumbass.
Only the baseless conjecture is making it sound like that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't get why a subset of folks here are deciding (based on, as far as I can tell, zero evidence) that Booker injured himself by doing something stupid like getting into a fight or falling off a bike. Why assume the worst about a guy who has in general been a high-character player? Why not take the word of the player, the GM, and the team? Isn't the simplest explanation probably right here, that he just felt pain when trying to play games? What is the point of concocting a baseless theory about Booker being a troublemaker who broke his hand doing something bad?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 am
I don't get why a subset of folks here are deciding (based on, as far as I can tell, zero evidence) that Booker injured himself by doing something stupid like getting into a fight or falling off a bike. Why assume the worst about a guy who has in general been a high-character player? Why not take the word of the player, the GM, and the team? Isn't the simplest explanation probably right here, that he just felt pain when trying to play games? What is the point of concocting a baseless theory about Booker being a troublemaker who broke his hand doing something bad?
It is the way of the board, Marty. :P ;) No good thing is allowed to come to the Suns. OGW inhabits all. Ayton is lazy and can't play defense.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 am
It is the way of the board, Marty. :P ;) No good thing is allowed to come to the Suns. OGW inhabits all. Ayton is lazy and can't play defense.
In fairness, over the past eight years or so, assuming the worst has been a fairly reliable guide to the truth.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'll just say it.

I kind of wonder whether people would assume Booker got into a fight or trouble etc. if he were white.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 am
I'll just say it.

I kind of wonder whether people would assume Booker got into a fight or trouble etc. if he were white.
Or if he hadn’t recently gotten into a fight on video.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 am
I'll just say it.

Or if he hadn’t recently gotten into a fight on video.
This.