Devin Booker underwent hand surgery and is out six weeks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Devin Booker had hand surgery and is out six weeks

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:56 am
Never liked Simmons. Think he's a smarmy douche who got too big for himself. Now he's trying to stay relevant in a sense. If he would've stuck to the fanboy angle he would've lasted longer, but he took/takes himself too seriously.

With Booker- I'm sure if we had a competent, experienced GM and were winning the past few years, McD could've sat Booker down and explained the cap ramifications and laid out a plan for his extension plus free agency. Maybe Booker would've understood and trusted the FO. But it doesn't seem like McD communicates well (the Ulis thing) and Booker probably doesn't have a lot of confidence in the org in general from his time here so getting the extension done on our part was the sound move.
Say that Babby picked Draymond Green instead of Kendall Marshall and then McD traded down and got Giannis and Gobert the next year, picked TJ and Gary Harris the next year, then still got Booker in '15 and hired a competent coach like Igor(I have a lot of faith in the guy right now, can you tell?). Also, instead of keeping Bledsoe around, he does what INF was suggesting and trade him while his value was huge and he didn't create a logjam at PG, he could still sign IT. Does the Booker still draw a ton of hate from the national media and NBA math guys surrounded by these guys? We certainly wouldn't talk about how crappy McD has been. Hindsight would be amazing.

Dragic/IT
Booker/Harris
Giannis/TJ
Green
Gobert
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Say the actual Sun turned into a person and donned a Suns Jersey, that would be great too

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Say the actual Sun turned into a person and donned a Suns Jersey, that would be great too
:lol:

Haha... I get it...
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'll admit it, I get way to offended when Booker gets underrated or crapped on by the national guys and fans of other teams. I certainly hope that Devin gets at least as offended and determined to prove them entirely wrong this season and the rest of his career.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:00 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Haha... I get it...
He'd be the greatest Sun of all time!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 pm
I'll admit it, I get way to offended when Booker gets underrated or crapped on by the national guys and fans of other teams. I certainly hope that Devin gets at least as offended and determined to prove them entirely wrong this season and the rest of his career.
That's one of the great things about Booker. He plays with a chip on his shoulder.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:00 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Haha... I get it...

Booker is the only thing that has been right for this team basically since Nash left town and Dragic was traded. He is the least of my worries and he deserves every cent of that max deal.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hermen wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:42 am
Even then they can sign the contract and force their way out anyway. Or just take less money with another team. It's not easy (and probably should not be done anyway) to keep players where they don't want to be.
Yeah, slavery is bad haha. Money (big chunks of it) is one fair way to convince people to do things. At some point, most can't refuse an offer good enough. Currently, as pointed by 'bazz, money is not allowed (de facto, as rules are per CBA) to be a real factor once you reach a given status.

Superbone

Re: Devin Booker underwent hand surgery and is out six weeks

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/ImPatBurke/status/1042953799902449664

https://twitter.com/ImPatBurke/status/1042953825546461185

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Kellan Olson has a strong belief that is all a lie and Booker hurt himself doing something stupid. Wonder if we will ever know.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:12 am
Kellan Olson has a strong belief that is all a lie and Booker hurt himself doing something stupid. Wonder if we will ever know.
Seems to be a pretty common belief. People also keep assuming it's a broken hand. Was there ever even anything that came out confirming what the surgery was for?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1039272936711094272

Some have noted you get this kind of injury hitting something, but other basketball players have had this same injury falling down, hitting their hands on something or doing knuckle push ups (KLove).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:18 am

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1039272936711094272

Some have noted you get this kind of injury hitting something, but other basketball players have had this same injury falling down, hitting their hands on something or doing knuckle push ups (KLove).
That is misinformation. You have 5 fingers. It is highly unlikely to fracture the fifth doing knuckle pushups because it doesn’t protrude like the others. Just make a fist and look at your own knuckles. Your pinky knuckle is tucked back and not a pressure point.

Now, in that quote he only mentioned the location of injury, not if it was a fracture of the bone or injury to the ligaments surrounding. Makes a big difference with regards to mechanism.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You're quite the expert on knuckles and knuckle pushups. Have you done them? Fists are round. It's pretty easy to shift your weight and lean to the lower part of your fist - the outside - as you're doing the pushups and getting more and more fatigued. It also depends on the placement of your fists, ie, vertical or horizontally placed.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 am
You're quite the expert on knuckles and knuckle pushups. Have you done them? Fists are round. It's pretty easy to shift your weight and lean to the lower part of your fist - the outside - as you're doing the pushups and getting more and more fatigued. It also depends on the placement of your fists, ie, vertical or horizontally placed.
No but I see these injuries every day. Kevin Love did not fracture his fifth metacarpal. It was his third that was the problem which again anatomically makes sense and is what we see.

The only recent fifth metacarpal fracture I could find was Rondo in Boston, and guess what they made up a bogus story about him falling in the shower and nobody bought it and there were articles about the medical community being skeptical. It’s just not an easy joint to fracture in a fall or otherwise because it’s small and tucked away, you’re much more likely to fracture your wrist or other metacarpals in an injUry unless you directly strike something with that joint.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:12 am
Honestly, who cares.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If you're interested, The Timeline podcast did an interview with a hand surgeon about the injury.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I mentioned this earlier today in the Offseason News Thread but I guess nobody wasn't really too interested in listening to Thunder Dan sigh lol. Anyways here's Devin

https://www.nba.com/suns/video/2018/09/ ... de-10#gref
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm interested. Love Majerle. Just can't do it until later.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 am
No but I see these injuries every day. Kevin Love did not fracture his fifth metacarpal. It was his third that was the problem which again anatomically makes sense and is what we see.

The only recent fifth metacarpal fracture I could find was Rondo in Boston, and guess what they made up a bogus story about him falling in the shower and nobody bought it and there were articles about the medical community being skeptical. It’s just not an easy joint to fracture in a fall or otherwise because it’s small and tucked away, you’re much more likely to fracture your wrist or other metacarpals in an injUry unless you directly strike something with that joint.
Unless it was a ligament issue, correct? Seems like it would be extremely rare to need surgery at that joint for something other than a fracture, if you got it hitting some thing/one. Is that fair?

Again, I wish they reported on what surgery was performed, instead of just saying where. It would be like saying "Lebron James had thoracic surgery today" without saying what they did.