Devin Booker underwent hand surgery and is out six weeks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Devin Booker had hand surgery and is out six weeks

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 am
I don't get why a subset of folks here are deciding (based on, as far as I can tell, zero evidence) that Booker injured himself by doing something stupid like getting into a fight or falling off a bike. Why assume the worst about a guy who has in general been a high-character player? Why not take the word of the player, the GM, and the team? Isn't the simplest explanation probably right here, that he just felt pain when trying to play games? What is the point of concocting a baseless theory about Booker being a troublemaker who broke his hand doing something bad?
It is the way of the board, Marty. :P ;) No good thing is allowed to come to the Suns. OGW inhabits all. Ayton is lazy and can't play defense.
In fairness, over the past eight years or so, assuming the worst has been a fairly reliable guide to the truth.
This is the saddest and most true thing on this site today.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 am
I'll just say it.

I kind of wonder whether people would assume Booker got into a fight or trouble etc. if he were white.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

I kind of wonder whether people would assume Booker got into a fight or trouble etc. if he were white.
Or if he hadn’t recently gotten into a fight on video.
+1

Cap FTW

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

I wonder why being white or black has anything to do with it? I kind of wonder why that would be your first thought.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

I wonder why being white or black has anything to do with it? I kind of wonder why that would be your first thought.
Because every unconscious bias study ever done on race perceptions shows you that people assume negative connotations based on darker skin color.

I don't think that is the case here, since cap pointed out there literally was a video of him getting into a fight.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wait...he's black?!?!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

Probably the same reason black guys get shot by the police and white guys don't.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

Probably the same reason black guys get shot by the police and white guys don't.
Seems to me the black guys who get shot by cops don’t usually look like Devin Booker.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

[youtube][/youtube]
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm really not worried about Devin
I think the biggest concern would be contact on the hand which obviously isn't gonna hinder his conditioning or anything like that
I'm guessing he should probably be able to shoot with a splint or something before he scrimmages so not like he gonna just be helpless. If it was his thumb or index finger I would be bummed
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

I'm sure every one of them were being upstanding citizens too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

I'm sure every one of them were being upstanding citizens too.
Not every one of them, but certainly a lot of them.

This discussion may be due for a move to the Politics folder.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 am
I don't get why a subset of folks here are deciding (based on, as far as I can tell, zero evidence) that Booker injured himself by doing something stupid like getting into a fight or falling off a bike. Why assume the worst about a guy who has in general been a high-character player? Why not take the word of the player, the GM, and the team? Isn't the simplest explanation probably right here, that he just felt pain when trying to play games? What is the point of concocting a baseless theory about Booker being a troublemaker who broke his hand doing something bad?
Because patterns of injury matter.

There are certain fracture patterns that are common.

Fall on an outstretched hand is the most common cause of a distal radius fracture (colles or Smith fracture). Incredibly common injury suffered in people falling off hoverboards, snowboarding, football, etc. it is rare to see such a fracture in a patient who DIDNT have a fall by such mechanism.

There are certain fractures in children (posterior ribs, scapula) that are highly suspicious for child abuse because they are seen very rarely otherwise.

A broken 5th metacarpal is most COMMONLY as a result of punching. It is very rarely seen otherwise. Of course, could have been a ligament injury but that’s also rare at the 5th metacarpal. So you think it’s unreasonable to assume that based on the shady way this news was broken, no specific new injury was mentioned, and the type of surgery was not mentioned, to presume that he must have the most common injury at that site and by far and away because of the most common mechanism?

Please.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

Give me a fucking break with this Mori. This was a really ignorant statement. I want an apology.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:35 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'll just say it.

Give me a f*** break with this Mori. This was a really ignorant statement. I want an apology.
Amen

This the the same guy that calls me out for disagreeing with some posters on this board just because I disagree with their opinion on McDonough. It appears that some can disagree with things some can't. Some can speak their mind however the wish, some can't.

Then the chief policeman for the board, Bone, gives a weak response. If I or anyone else would have said that, we would have been banned.

I remember Bone calling me out when I suggested that Alex Len was a BWS. He suggested that I could be banned for that statement. How could I be so rude. That kind of talk was not welcomed on this board.

Fight the good fight Sauce. I have not always agreed with you on things but I have always enjoyed your takes.

No need to ban me. I am going to take a vacation from the nonesense.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Training camp can't come soon enough.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Shall we avoid going at each others' throats? Save the anger for the true enemy...the Lakers. Or perhaps Sarver.

As much as I would normally agree that black folks get a rough deal, in this case I do agree that an apology might be warranted. To me, Booker's white without a tan, and black with a tan. Just because he's black at the moment doesn't erase his peripheral participation in the Ulis incident -- and the fact that he's been hanging out with the Kardashians. That's as big of a black mark on him as any.

So, let's just agree to disagree about whether the Suns ought to start or trade Warren instead of opening this can of worms.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hadn't seen that there was a video of Booker getting into a fight. If so, that completely changes my take, and I retract my statement about his race being a factor.

I retract it, but you guys demanding an apology won't receive one. You can be big kids and handle somebody saying something wrong and then taking it back. Don't get indignant about it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 am
I retract it, but you guys demanding an apology won't receive one. You can be big kids and handle somebody saying something wrong and then taking it back. Don't get indignant about it.
Works both ways. You were by your own admission wrong, and people understandably took offense from your comment. You can be a big kid and apologize.

Apologizing doesn’t mean admitting you’re a bad person. You just made a mistake. Say sorry and move on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:14 am
This the the same guy that calls me out for disagreeing with some posters on this board just because I disagree with their opinion on McDonough. It appears that some can disagree with things some can't. Some can speak their mind however the wish, some can't.
It was for you being disrespectful and name calling and you know it. It had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion.
JustWinBaby wrote:
I remember Bone calling me out when I suggested that Alex Len was a BWS. He suggested that I could be banned for that statement. How could I be so rude. That kind of talk was not welcomed on this board.
Then you have a faulty memory. Show me the evidence. You probably called somebody a pussy. For the record, I don't think Len is a BWS. He moves pretty well at his size and is athletic.
JustWinBaby wrote:
No need to ban me. I am going to take a vacation from the nonesense.
Good idea. Come back when you can have a discussion without being inflammatory.
"Be Legendary."