Suns Preseason News 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns Preseason News 2018

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Or a Kidd.

Cap

Post by Cap »

We don’t need a Nash or a Kidd. We need someone much younger.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Dragic is not Nash. Not even close. I like dragic, his 2013-14 year here was really fun and the last good team we Suns fans had, but I think that's mislead a lot of people on here.

Jrue Holiday is a lot better than Dragic and a lot younger. Dragic would be simply a 2 year stop gap that would be old and finished when our young core is ready to contend. And he'd take us completely out of the FA running next off-season.

Everyone thought jrue was overpaid when he signed his contract, but he's definitely been worth every penny. He's young enough to actually be the veteran leader in his prime when our young core is ready to contend. So his contract isn't a negative, because he's better than anyone we'd sign next off-season anyways. He's elite defensively, and defends both backcourt spots. He can play on or off the ball, can run the offense, can shoot. He's got no weaknesses. We'd be lucky to have him.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I agree that Jrue would be a great fit, but I can't see a scenario where he's available this season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am
We don’t need a Nash or a Kidd. We need someone much younger.
Younger than a Kid(d)?!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Jrue would be a nice fit, but unrealistic. Dragic is better, because he could be only 1 year money.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

There's no way dragic doesn't pick up his option.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:17 am
Dragic is not Nash. Not even close. I like dragic, his 2013-14 year here was really fun and the last good team we Suns fans had, but I think that's mislead a lot of people on here.

Jrue Holiday is a lot better than Dragic and a lot younger. Dragic would be simply a 2 year stop gap that would be old and finished when our young core is ready to contend. And he'd take us completely out of the FA running next off-season.

Everyone thought jrue was overpaid when he signed his contract, but he's definitely been worth every penny. He's young enough to actually be the veteran leader in his prime when our young core is ready to contend. So his contract isn't a negative, because he's better than anyone we'd sign next off-season anyways. He's elite defensively, and defends both backcourt spots. He can play on or off the ball, can run the offense, can shoot. He's got no weaknesses. We'd be lucky to have him.
I like Jrue but I wouldn't trust him to lead a team and make others better. Jrue is a lot better as an individual player, but I like Dragic's experience and playmaking for this younger group more. It's all moot anyway because Jrue isn't getting traded.

Also, who are these FAs we're signing next year? Still haven't seen anyone list FAs we actually have a realistic shot at signing. Here's the list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2019/

Point Guards:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents ... int-guard/

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 pm
There's no way dragic doesn't pick up his option.

yep. and we have been pretty consistent with the approach of only taking on money for this year (even going so far as to get Anderson to lower his guarantee, making him a good candidate to stretch) so we can offer a near max contract next year for the right player.

The problem is that we can't attract top-tier talent unless we over-achieve this year. And we likely won't do that without a good PG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I doubt we are serious contenders for any of the big names: Klay, Durant, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie, Kawhi. The next tier is possible. Guys like Tobias Harris and Kemba Walker. I don't really see khris Middleton leaving Milwaukee, but he'd be obtainable if things went south.

There is a solid restricted class at pg of Delon Wright, Tyus Jones, Terry Rozier, and DeAngelo Russell. Spencer Dinwiddie is unrestricted.

Thad Young, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio, Nikola Mirotic are all unrestricted as well and could fill holes.

If we strike out and just want to roll it over, a guy like Darren Collison, Pat Beverley, or Rajon Rondo could sign for a 1 year deal.

We could also try to sneak a non PG restricted player : Kristaps, Myles Turner, Justise Winslow, but those seem unlikely.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't want us overpaying for unproven RFAs like Wright, Jones and Rozier. And yes, all those guys are unproven as starters and making others better. No interest in Russel. Dinwiddie can't exceed expectations in BK.

Rubio is maybe the only guy I could see us pursuing and coming here, and ironically, playing up as a Nash-like acquisition. It's such a McD and Sarver move that you know it won't pan out. And Rubio still can't shoot.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm
Was Boris taken 4th in the draft? I can't remember.
Yes. That's why I made the comp. There's nothing more important when looking at player development than draft position.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:14 pm
I doubt we are serious contenders for any of the big names: Klay, Durant, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie, Kawhi.
They don’t really seem to fit except for Durant (who would fit anywhere) and Kyrie, who is committed to staying in Boston.

Assuming we’re building around Booker-Jackson-Ayton, we need a PG and a stretch 4 to complete the starting lineup.

Maybe we can use our cap space to pick up some pricey talent from a team that needs the cap room because they are a legit destination for those big names.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:21 pm
I wouldn't want us overpaying for unproven RFAs like Wright, Jones and Rozier. And yes, all those guys are unproven as starters and making others better. No interest in Russel. Dinwiddie can't exceed expectations in BK.

Rubio is maybe the only guy I could see us pursuing and coming here, and ironically, playing up as a Nash-like acquisition. It's such a McD and Sarver move that you know it won't pan out. And Rubio still can't shoot.
Depends on the price. I think wright could come on a decent deal. Say Kawhi decides to stay. Are they really gonna pay big money to a PG when they already have lowry and van Vleet? Same with Rozier, I think Boston would balk at a decent offer considering he'd never be more than a backup there.

However, if the offer is a good one, those teams might match with the intention of trading them at the deadline.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:14 pm
I doubt we are serious contenders for any of the big names: Klay, Durant, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie, Kawhi.
They don’t really seem to fit except for Durant (who would fit anywhere) and Kyrie, who is committed to staying in Boston.

Assuming we’re building around Booker-Jackson-Ayton, we need a PG and a stretch 4 to complete the starting lineup.

Maybe we can use our cap space to pick up some pricey talent from a team that needs the cap room because they are a legit destination for those big names.
Ya I think it's likely Kemba is at the top of our list. Unless we add a PG before the off-season. In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if we offered Harris a big deal at the opening of FA.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Harris at a max deal to play PF would be awful. Mirotic wouldn't be terrible if the money is right. I'm not cool with Kemba at 30mil or whatever the max numbers are. He's not a good fit next to Booker IMO.

If things go south for Toronto this year and they decide to really break things up, I'd carefully consider Lowry for another year after this one. But Dragic would still be my first choice.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't necessarily think Kemba and Harris will command max offers. They'll probably want them, but there's enough actual players that deserve max offers that I don't think Kemba and Harris will get them. But they could.

If we can land a PG this season, going after Harris could make a lot of sense. Mirotic could be very nice too. Neither rebound well, but next to Ayton that might not matter.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/duanerankin/status/1049122214031884289

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm
Was Boris taken 4th in the draft? I can't remember.
21st pick
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:57 pm
I don't necessarily think Kemba and Harris will command max offers. They'll probably want them, but there's enough actual players that deserve max offers that I don't think Kemba and Harris will get them. But they could.

If we can land a PG this season, going after Harris could make a lot of sense. Mirotic could be very nice too. Neither rebound well, but next to Ayton that might not matter.
My point guard targets remain the same: TJ McConnell, Spencer Dinwiddie, Malcolm Brogdon.

We don't need to break the bank for Kemba. He is a good player, but I don't see him agreeing to a reasonable. Paying Kemba Walker $25 million or more a season is a subscription to Mediocrity Monthly.

I like Tobias Harris, but he isn't a very good stretch 4. He doesn't rebound and doesn't offer anything on defense. He is more of a small forward.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.