Game Day (Preseason): Breakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-1), Wed 10/03/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Breakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-1), Wed 10/03/18

Post by ShelC »

With regards to free agency, a bird in the hand....

Lillard's a pipedream. He's not coming here. Kemba a real good player but I don't think he's what we need. Who else do we realistically have a shot at who will make a significant difference? Rubio? Overpay for Rozier as an RFA?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am
OE32 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 am
Ulis was significantly worse than Canaan and Shaq last year. Ulis might have been the worst player in the NBA getting regular minutes. We'd be in the same mess with him on the roster.

I do think we need a trade. I'd be willing to take on Teague or Dragic as long as we can get close on 2019 salaries. I'm thinking Warren + Bender. They combine to cost us just under 17 million next season. I think both Teague and Dragic are at 19 million next year.

Neither Teague or Dragic are the future for us, but they would be good 2 year vets to give Melton and Okobo time to develop.

Teague/Canaan/Okobo
Booker/Harrison/Melton
Jackson/Bridges/Reed
Ariza/Anderson/Arthur
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes

Probably not a playoff team, but only because the west is crazy deep. That's a good team and I'd hope Okobo/Melton eventually take Canaan/Harrison spots in the rotation. We could potentially use Arthur in this scenario as a backup 4.

If Anderson is good and we want to keep him, we could still have 15ish million in space next summer. If he blows, we waive and stretch him and get 30+ million in space.
Trade Arthur, his non-guaranteed contract is golden in this deal. This is where I am too. I think it's so much better to bring on a Teague or Dragic, even at their salary, and you could still address pf in free agency with a TON of money available next year.
Dragic is just so much better than Teague. I'm not interested in foreclosing the acquisition of a quality PG next summer by acquiring a mediocre, overpaid stop gap like Teague.
Idk, Teague's numbers are pretty good, he's a better passer even with Tibs as coach and he's younger. Compare their numbers. He was really good in Atlanta. I prefer Dragic, but I'm not going to scoff at Teague.
Compare their advanced stats, though. The difference between them is huge, and it's every year of their careers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:31 am
I think his size was definitely a factor. There's only so much he can make up for with IQ and he wasn't a knockdown shooter either. Also, and this is just speculation, maybe the FO didn't like the Ulis and Booker being so close?

Either way, we need a competent guard soon. It'll make the game that much easier on everyone. We need PnR with Ayton, we need to feed him in the post and we need to get shooters open. The last thing I want is for us to tread water with band-aids at PG or just rotating bad fits and wasting Ayton's early years the way we have with Booker.
I don't think this is a real concern beyond this season. Tons of PGs will be available this summer, and only so many teams are in need of one. To the extent this problem (and Jackson, Bridges, Anderson and Bender disappointing) tanks this season, it should be the last one.

I really thought we were ready to take a step this year. But this team looking like it does, we won't be winning games any time soon. :( I can't believe Mikal looks so raw. I can't believe Bender looks WORSE than last season so far. I can't believe JJ is still playing so reckless.

Maybe Zion is in our future, after all. That would be nuts.
Just a reminder that one player can make a big difference in this league and we're missing our best.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 am

Lillard's a pipedream. He's not coming here. Kemba a real good player but I don't think he's what we need. Who else do we realistically have a shot at who will make a significant difference? Rubio? Overpay for Rozier as an RFA?
That's where I am. I don't think that the FAs available are significantly better than Teague and they will cost a lot more. I'd even be good with Conley at his crazy salary if his health checks out. But I can only see him being available if Memphis struggles badly early this season and decides to blow it up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oh, and one other thing about the closeness of this game. As it got closer and closer, Kokoskov didn't flinch. He stayed with the young guys. No bringing Ariza back to calm things down. He didn't bench Bender. He used it as a teaching moment.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 pm
Oh, and one other thing about the closeness of this game. As it got closer and closer, Kokoskov didn't flinch. He stayed with the young guys. No bringing Ariza back to calm things down. He didn't bench Bender. He used it as a teaching moment.
I liked that. The W/L doesn't matter. I do wonder why he has played Ayton so many minutes, though. I think I saw that he's averaged 31.0 mpg these two games. No need to play anybody that much in preseason.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 am

That's where I am. I don't think that the FAs available are significantly better than Teague and they will cost a lot more. I'd even be good with Conley at his crazy salary if his health checks out. But I can only see him being available if Memphis struggles badly early this season and decides to blow it up.
Dame Dolla and Kemba are significantly better than Teague. Spencer Dinwiddie or TJ Mcconnell could come at a FRACTION of the cost.

I'd rather spend more to get a significantly better player in Dame, Kemba, Kyrie, etc OR spend much less and get a player who's talent and fit is just about the same at half the cost and save that money to spend elsewhere.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
I liked that. The W/L doesn't matter. I do wonder why he has played Ayton so many minutes, though. I think I saw that he's averaged 31.0 mpg these two games. No need to play anybody that much in preseason.
Yeah I agree. I hope he just wanted to start him off with a bang and is now going to scale him back as the preseason goes on.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:01 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yeah I agree. I hope he just wanted to start him off with a bang and is now going to scale him back as the preseason goes on.
I'm ok with getting Ayton that type of minutes. It puts him in different situations and allows for more film that they can teach him with. There were several things that he could improve on with a good attention to detail, and I'm sure that Igor is doing his best to give to him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Dame is not a free agent. I don't know where that came from. He has 2 more years after this one on his deal. And I don't think he and Kemba are in the same tier. Agreed though that Kemba is a lot better than Teague, but Kemba will cost a fortune this offseason and I'm worried about how he ages through his next deal.

To be clear. I don't love Teague. Far from it. But I think he has much more value for this roster than TJ. He's better than you think.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It's a long season, there will be plenty of time for that.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:01 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I agree that Ayton's playing a lot in part to make sure he's ready to start the season going full bore, but I also think he's playing a lot because he's so far and away our best player, and everyone on the roster needs to learn how to feed the beast. Maybe he scales it back in our final preseason game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Maybe he just wants to play, and I see no reason not to accommodate him. He’s young and in incredible shape. He can handle it. It’s not like Tyson needs the minutes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He needs the reps and the other guys need the experience playing with him. 31 minutes? Pft...
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 am
I kind of hate these games. You have nothing to really take from them. You are expecting them to easily win and are disappointed if someone doesn't put up big stats against inferior competition and non-NBA quality athletes.
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 pm
Can we be done with this Ryan Anderson thing already?
Yeah, it is going to suck to be saddled with his giant contract and getting essentially nothing in return. I hope Melton is worth it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:40 pm
To be fair, it was a pass that looked like a really bad shot. Not the prettiest lob I've seen, but it worked.
Beggars can't be choosers.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 pm
Please trade for Beverley. Give up a future first rounder.
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 pm
Sooo, Barrett? Reddish? Williamson? LIttle? Who we like?
Williamson.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 pm
Harrison isn't really a PG. He's got value, but he's gonna look bad as a starting NBA PG. I think we might need to go get one. I like Okobo and Melton as prospects, but they're not ready. Beverley would be nice...maybe the clippers would be interested in Bender?
beverley played off the ball most of the time in houston, and was outplayed by SGA in the last game.
Yep. He isn't a real point guard. His vaunted defense left him about two seasons ago. Now he is just fake hustle and is coming off a major injury. It drives me crazy to see people campaigning for him.