Game Day (Preseason): Breakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-1), Wed 10/03/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Breakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-1), Wed 10/03/18

Post by UglyTruth »

https://twitter.com/KellanOlson/status/1047702683635744768

To sum it up, the Suns end up beating the Breakers by 6 who are in the same league as the Wildcats team that got obliterated by 58 by Kokoskov's former team, Utah Jazz.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I got to watch most of this game, starting in the 2nd quarter. Some random thoughts.

Ayton looks like a real blue chipper. Very happy with his play so far. He's just big, and he knows how to create space and box out and move in the post. He doesn't jack up 3s or try to dribble drive or do dumb things that a big man shouldn't be doing. Super encouraged so far.

Josh Jackson, I see signs from the guy, and he's got great handles and can run the offense as a point forward. That is worth something. But I just hate his shooting. He was 5-14 tonight including 1-5 on threes. WTF why is this guy taking so many 3s? He doesn't have a jumpshot and he's chucking up from distance? I really want them to work with him on shot selection and being more judicious with his own shots. He had 9 boards and 3 assists, but 7 turnovers. He gives a lot but he takes a lot away. I'm not convinced that he is a big net positive yet.

I liked Ariza a lot for the most part. Did you know he finished with 6 assists (!)? I'm glad he was looking for others and setting them up. He also hit 3-5 of his 3s. Very solid outing from him.

Ryan Anderson, meh. He'll be out of the starting lineup pretty soon. He deserves a few minutes off the bench and nothing more.

I had a tough time watching Shaq Harrison. He just didn't look like he was ready out there. His lack of a jumpshot really hurts him, and he seems to dribble into traffic and get into trouble. He also is more foul-prone than I thought. Not digging him as our starting PG. Feeling like we should give Okobo a chance, even if he's not quite ready.

Holmes was very solid in the backup C role. I barely heard of this guy but he's out there doing big man stuff. Reminded me of Steven Hunter or somebody like that. Really liked the minutes he gave us.

I keep looking for one, just one, of this giant pool of random young swingmen (Bridges, Reed, Daniels, Melton, etc.) to have a good game. They never do, at least not so far. Most of them were out there for 13-19 minutes and just didn't have any impact.

Everybody craps on TJ Warren, but y'all are ignoring that he's one of our best offensive weapons. He got to the line 12 times tonight. I love what he does for us. So surprised that everybody hates on this guy so much. I am starting to think that Warren would be good to start at PF for us.

Bender had another just TERRIBLE game. No other way to say it. Completely useless.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401077256

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ayton is a fucking stud.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Other thoughts:

TJ Warren and Darrell Arthur for Jeff Teague? Maybe as part of the Butler deal?

I thought of Bridges as a "can't fail" prospect in the NBA. Not going to change my mind for a while, but i can't help watching him and thinking "Please don't be Wesley Johnson. Please don't be Wesley Johnson. Please don't..."

Looks like the Bender bandwagon just drove off a bridge and is taking on water. At this point, I'm pulling out my violin and playing "Nearer my God to Thee" with the last remaining members.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:55 am
Other thoughts:

TJ Warren and Darrell Arthur for Jeff Teague? Maybe as part of the Butler deal?

I thought of Bridges as a "can't fail" prospect in the NBA. Not going to change my mind for a while, but i can't help watching him and thinking "Please don't be Wesley Johnson. Please don't be Wesley Johnson. Please don't..."

Looks like the Bender bandwagon just drove off a bridge and is taking on water. At this point, I'm pulling out my violin and playing "Nearer my God to Thee" with the last remaining members.
Teague is owed wayyyyy too much money next year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

$9M more than TJ and 2 fewer years. We give up a player at position where we have a massive logjam and get a player at a position where we have a desperate need.

We'd replace 28 minutes/game of Shaq/Melton/Okobo with 28 minutes of Teague (big jump) and 25 minutes of TJ with more time for Jackson/Bridges/Ariza/Reed (not much change).

EDC

Post by EDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:14 am
Everybody craps on TJ Warren, but y'all are ignoring that he's one of our best offensive weapons. He got to the line 12 times tonight. I love what he does for us. So surprised that everybody hates on this guy so much. I am starting to think that Warren would be good to start at PF for us.
I think TJ will be our starting PF this year. TJ is just frustrating. If he could shoot the three, become a strong rebounder, or play good defense he would be a stud for us. Just disappointing he hasn't really added anything to his game.

All that said he is one of our best players.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

At this point I laugh when he falls. Dude will never learn to play in control. It’s his own damn fault if he gets hurt, he almost took Bridges knees out tonight and that’s what I’m more worried about.

Can’t start Warren and Jackson together. Not enough shooters.

Jackson and Ariza is the way to go. Leave TJ as a microwave off the bench in 20-25 min.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:08 am
$9M more than TJ and 2 fewer years. We give up a player at position where we have a massive logjam and get a player at a position where we have a desperate need.

We'd replace 28 minutes/game of Shaq/Melton/Okobo with 28 minutes of Teague (big jump) and 25 minutes of TJ with more time for Jackson/Bridges/Ariza/Reed (not much change).
$9M more is a lot dude. That’s a great player we could sign or potentially the difference between signing an all star. That cap space is gold and I don’t want to lose on a chance to get Lillard or another great PG because we got impatient and wasted our money on a mediocre PG.

Honestly I think TJ is more valuable than Teague and his contract is probably one of the best values in the league. If we made that trade I’d want a first round pick in return.

EDC

Post by EDC »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 am
At this point I laugh when he falls. Dude will never learn to play in control. It’s his own damn fault if he gets hurt, he almost took Bridges knees out tonight and that’s what I’m more worried about.
Yeah anytime I see him go down I just expect him to hit his head and have to be pulled from the game. He falls like Len posts up. Most uncoordinated moves ever.

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:54 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:35 pm
n4th4n wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm

You should probably go and get yourself a job as an NBA scout then, you'll probably make a lot of money.
Already make too much as it is.
LOLLLL. Damn you are cool bro
Lmao. Pretty soon he’ll brag about his dick size next.

“Bunch of idiots” huh. You’re so endearing.
Interesting how you're just going to assume that I'm a man and/or that I have a dick.
I had just assumed you were a man with no dick. Then again with all your riches, you can probably just buy a new one whenever you want.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 am
Ayton is a f*** stud.
I forget. Were you team Doncic or team Ayton before the draft? I am very pleased how well Ayton has already progressed since college and summer league.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

drafting ayton... the only thing mcdo got right.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 am
UglyTruth wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Already make too much as it is.

Interesting how you're just going to assume that I'm a man and/or that I have a dick.
I had just assumed you were a man with no dick. Then again with all your riches, you can probably just buy a new one whenever you want.
Lololol

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow , well I'm glad that this last page got back on Topic because the Thread was getting a little ridiculous.

I have to admit that on Media Day when I listened to Chandler and Anderson really talking up Ayton's shooting touch that I was like ok pump the brakes and tone it down lol. I admittedly didn't see much of him in college but in Summer League I'm fairly certain he didn't hit many jumpers, two games into Preseason though and it's obvious what the two vets were raving about.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I caught about half the game, might watch the whole thing today when they replay it. Had to turn it off a few times because some of it was just awful. Harrison is a 3rd stringer. He shouldn't be playing any meaningful minutes so to complain about him is like complaining about Ulis when he was starting last year. McD has put Igor the rest of the players in a really tough position by not having a legit NBA PG on the roster. It affects the whole offense and our guys look worse because of it. Melton didn't really show a lot yesterday.

In terms of the offense, I hope we're not showing everything just yet and that there's more to come in the regular season because I don't think I'm digging the pass and cut/motion stuff all the time. You can run that offense when you have Steph, Klay, KD, Dray but not Harrison, Jackson, Warren. Bridges and Ariza can shoot it, but if the other guys aren't threats than defenders can just overplay the shooters. And we also don't have great 1on1 players who can break down a defense when the shooters are covered. Booker can obviously help in these areas when he's back. Just not sure it will be enough.

Ayton is a stud, as others have said. It's extremely frustrating watching him set screens or be used to initiate offense at the top of the key and then never touch the ball again during the possession. I watched most of the 1st half and I think I can count on one hand how many times we fed him in the post. Unacceptable - unless this is by design in the preseason. He needs touches and given our lack of playmaking, we should be playing inside-out so he can draw the double and open things up on the perimeter. Given a real PG, he could be a great PnR option - either diving and sealing his man for post ups or popping out for the jumper. He should watch tape of TimD and Garnett.

Jackson's line was decent besides FG% and TOs but I think that's to be expected. We'll see more 5-14 nights from him. With Booker and decent PG the TOs will come down. Ariza's line looks good - tho it seemed like he was visibly frustrated during one possession standing in the corner with his hands out like "What are we doing?".

Again, it's really hard to evaluate things without Booker and true PG. I wouldn't panic with kneejerk trade for a guy like Beverly, but we need to do something. Not even to make the playoffs, just to make progress with our young guys and keep things together on the floor.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:23 am
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 am
UglyTruth wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
n4th4n wrote:

Lololol
UglyTruth -- you'll have to excuse us for thinking that you were male. Most of us associate aggressive defensive posturing with male insecurity. Female gorillas don't thump their chests when they get intimidated. Not sure if the one dunking basketballs back in Phoenix is male or female, though.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 pm

To sum it up, the Suns end up beating the Breakers by 6 who are in the same league as the Wildcats team that got obliterated by 58 by Kokoskov's former team, Utah Jazz.
So Kellan Olson is trying to tell us that the Jazz are significantly better than the Suns? That's some highbrow reporting right there.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 am
UglyTruth wrote:

So Kellan Olson is trying to tell us that the Jazz are significantly better than the Suns? That's some highbrow reporting right there.
He's not wrong. He is concerned, and letting us know.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

UglyTruth wrote:

Both NBL teams are "good" (great in their league). However, the Jazz are in their 4th year of their current system and are introducing one new player to the roster - off the deep bench. They have established veterans, the reigning DPOY, and a ROY candidate.

The Suns are in the first year of their system, are introducing 3 players to the starting lineup, and are missing their best player and scorer. And are quite young. Are the situations really comparable other than both being NBA teams playing NBL teams?
If you want to be dismayed, or humored, or whatever, go ahead.