Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-2) @ Warriors (1-1), Mon 10/08/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-2) @ Warriors (1-1), Mon 10/08/18

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 pm
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:39 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:39 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:21 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:17 pm
Damn I love me some TJ
Weird seeing this after the comments from last few games.
I'm firmly in TJs corner and have been since we drafted him. I'd prefer him over Jackson tbh.
Warren over Jackson and its not even close IMO.
After Jackson's rookie year? Sure. I would hope so. However, there is a good chance Jackson becomes the better player.
I would not bet even odds that Jackson becomes a better all around NBA player. I would go 40/60 or so considering we know what TJ is, basically, and JJ is still 'full of potential' and could go either way. I really hope we can get through to him and he puts in the effort. KU doesn't have the best track record. For every Embiid there are quite a few morrii.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

I'm firmly in TJs corner and have been since we drafted him. I'd prefer him over Jackson tbh.
After Jackson's rookie year? Sure. I would hope so. However, there is a good chance Jackson becomes the better player.
I would not bet even odds that Jackson becomes a better all around NBA player. I would go 40/60 or so considering we know what TJ is, basically, and JJ is still 'full of potential' and could go either way. I really hope we can get through to him and he puts in the effort. KU doesn't have the best track record. For every Embiid there are quite a few morrii.
Huh. If I had to lay odds it would be 65/35 in favor of Jackson.
"Be Legendary."

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-2) @ Warriors (1-1), Mon 10/08/18

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Superbone wrote:
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 pm
They could all just have played better to attract some trade interest... You can't read into it either way other than the games have been pretty bad for anyone not names Ayton until now.
Why in the heck would you play better to get yourself traded?!
To get out of this cluster #@&$

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:

But you are an eternal optimist and do a great job of always trying to see the best in people.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

But you are an eternal optimist and do a great job of always trying to see the best in people.
Maybe that's it. Let's hope for our sake that I'm right in this instance. TJ only does one thing really well and that's score the basketball. It seems to me that JJ may already be the better "all around NBA player." However, he currently doesn't do any one thing as well as TJ scores the ball.
"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:17 pm
Damn I love me some TJ
Jackson will need to become really good at something, because so far he isn't. I still haven't seen this defense everyone speaks some fondly about when he was drafted out of Kansas.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Maybe that's it. Let's hope for our sake that I'm right in this instance. TJ only does one thing really well and that's score the basketball. It seems to me that JJ may already be the better "all around NBA player." However, he currently doesn't do any one thing as well as TJ scores the ball.
I really hope you are right, and we actually made a good pick top 10 pick for just the 2nd time this millennia (Ayton looks great, but let's give him at least a minute of real NBA action first).

But I would say that right now, JJ doesn't do anything at even an average level for an NBA rotation player, much less a starter. The one exception might be his handles, though. Not shooting, not scoring, not 1-1 defense, not team defense.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I really hope you are right, and we actually made a good pick top 10 pick for just the 2nd time this millennia (Ayton looks great, but let's give him at least a minute of real NBA action first).

But I would say that right now, JJ doesn't do anything at even an average level for an NBA rotation player, much less a starter. The one exception might be his handles, though. Not shooting, not scoring, not 1-1 defense, not team defense.
It's very frustrating that Tatum is so good and McD was bragging about how we got JJ instead. JJ has a lot to live up to.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

It's very frustrating that Tatum is so good and McD was bragging about how we got JJ instead. JJ has a lot to live up to.
That was all BS and posturing. I highly doubt any GMs had a draft board with JJ above Tatum.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Better yet, we allegedly kept JJ from working out with the Celts so they wouldn't steal him.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm
Better yet, we allegedly kept JJ from working out with the Celts so they wouldn't steal him.
That was all BS and posturing. JJ knew the Celts weren’t going to take him, so he decided to make it look like it was his choice.

Or maybe not. :shrug:

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Why anyone would pick Phoenix over Boston is beyond me.

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:26 pm
Why anyone would pick Phoenix over Boston is beyond me.
He heard from his former KU brethren that it was the place to be. #FOE

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

That was all BS and posturing. I highly doubt any GMs had a draft board with JJ above Tatum.
I thought I remember Jackson being the consensus number three pick? I remember the disappointment in dropping to number 4 because it meant we would not be able to draft one of the top three guys (Fultz, Ball, Jackson).

In fact, nbadraft.net shows Jackson at #1 on their big board, with Tatum at #7: http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard/2017 (Which means we got their #1 player 2 years in a row!)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I thought I remember Jackson being the consensus number three pick? I remember the disappointment in dropping to number 4 because it meant we would not be able to draft one of the top three guys (Fultz, Ball, Jackson).

In fact, nbadraft.net shows Jackson at #1 on their big board, with Tatum at #7: http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard/2017 (Which means we got their #1 player 2 years in a row!)
I think that is just one dude's big board. The mock draft they have (and the others I have seen) don't have Jackson going above us.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:48 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think that is just one dude's big board. The mock draft they have (and the others I have seen) don't have Jackson going above us.
The mock drafts are different than the rankings/big boards, because they are actually trying to predict where players will go. The news was already leaking before the draft that the Celtics were leaning towards Tatum and that Jackson refused to work out for them. In looking at some other big boards, it looks like there was a mix of Jackson and Tatum each being favored.

Even Ainge seemed to like Jackson quite a bit (still one of the funniest video clips):

[youtube][/youtube]

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I know I wanted Tatum all along at #4 and was hoping the Celtics would pass on him. But I especially wanted Lonzo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, predraft most people had Jackson ahead of Tatum

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

This is interesting:
The 17th annual NBA.com GM Survey went out last week and it was made clear that the Suns young core is being looked at highly throughout the league.

[...] Jackson was voted “Which rookie will be the best player in five years” last season and Ayton followed him up this year securing the same top spot for the Suns yet again.

https://www.nba.com/suns/features/nba-g ... young-core
And check this out from the same link :lol:
It’s hard to be labeled underrated when you’re drafted first overall, but an NBA general manager seems to be that impressed by Ayton. The 20-year-old received at least one vote in the survey for “Which rookie was the biggest steal at where he was selected in the draft.”
We ranked second for most improved team this season and third for the most promising young core, among NBA General Managers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let's hope they're right!
"Be Legendary."