Ryan out as GM

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Ryan out as GM

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 am
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1049339867543588866

hahahahaha....Woj going in with no lube.

Good. We all know who the problem is here.
Yeah, that is one of the worst things you can say about a guy. He is heavily involved in all decisions (meddles), he's a loser (on the court), and nobody wants to work for him. We really are a shit show.

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:
What a circus. The timing on it is awful. I just don't understand how anyone can be up for James Jones. His post playing career is just one year as vp for us.

There were quite a few of us that wanted to keep McD only because we knew if he gets canned he will be replaced with someone with zero experience. Now we get to watch a new GM fuck this team up with stupid trades as they try to learn the position.

Bender might have been the straw that broke the camels back.
But to defend Sarver for a moment--If you know he isn't the guy, even after you just gave him an extension, you bite the bullet and make the move. Don't throw good money after bad.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

I wonder if Jerry Colangelo ever has any regrets about selling the team.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

McD was terrible. The timing may be bad but he was a nutless GM that was constantly bent over taking it with every transaction we made. I'm sure most GMs hung up or never returned his calls.

Sarver always doing the most ludicrous crap. Can he just move along as well?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:42 am
n4th4n wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 am
The timing of this is very strange. If this was even in consideration, why let McD run the entire off season? I think we are in good(ish) shape for the future right now, but I disagree with almost everything he did over the last 4 months.
Feels like a gut reaction to how bad we've looked without a pg. Sarver wants playoffs this year and we're clearly not a playoff team
That is even worse if Sarver is making knee-jerk decisions based on how we looked in preseason without Booker.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:00 am
But to defend Sarver for a moment--If you know he isn't the guy, even after you just gave him an extension, you bite the bullet and make the move. Don't throw good money after bad.
Sounds like a majority of the deals that have been made since Sarver took over.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 am
I don't think he regrets selling. Just selling to Sarver.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:00 am
EDC wrote:
What a circus. The timing on it is awful. I just don't understand how anyone can be up for James Jones. His post playing career is just one year as vp for us.

There were quite a few of us that wanted to keep McD only because we knew if he gets canned he will be replaced with someone with zero experience. Now we get to watch a new GM fuck this team up with stupid trades as they try to learn the position.

Bender might have been the straw that broke the camels back.
I guess you are right the timing really doesn't matter.

The real problem is who he hires next and what kind of knee jerk moves they make to please him. The upside of this is I really don't care about anyone on the team besides Booker and Ayton. Oh and future first round picks. So they can shuffle the roster all they want as long as they don't fuck with those guys and too many of our future firsts.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1049339867543588866

What an incredibly rough tweet. I love how he said that McD “survived” for 5 years. It’s like McD was in a gladiator match and finally couldn’t hold him off any longer.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
He would've had a championship I'm sure had he not and he could've sold the team for more than 450 million. I'm sure he regrets it every day.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Who knows how much Sarver interfered with McD.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I'm glad Woj blasted Sarver and it looks like Sarver's poolboy, Gambo blasted him too. Good. The truth needs to come out, we are dealing with the worst owner in the NBA and it shows.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 am
The real miss with De'Aaron Fox in 2016. He'd have solved our PG problems and we still could've traded for Bridges and signed Ariza.
Maybe, I'm not sure Fox is an elite talent though. Would I trade Jackson for him right now? Yeah, probably. But if I could redo that draft, I'd take Isaac...or maybe Markkanen. Well actually I'd take Mitchell, but he was never going top 5.

Isaac or Markkanen wouldn't solve our PG problem, but I think they're better prospects than Fox and play a position of need as well.

Another question, should we have moved up for SGA instead of Mikal? I loved both and had them 7 and 8 on my board, but SGA makes a little more sense with our lack of PG on the roster.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1049349296536113152

EDC

Post by EDC »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
He would've had a championship I'm sure had he not and he could've sold the team for more than 450 million. I'm sure he regrets it every day.
I miss the sense of family the organization had with Jerry and Cotton around.

Cap

Post by Cap »

EDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
I miss the sense of family the organization had with Jerry and Cotton around.
I miss the sense of competence the organization had with Jerry and Cotton around.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Finally some good news. Thank you Mr Robot for five useless years of „pointless“ players and bad moves. You got lucky with Booker which bought you a couple more years. But finally someone must have found out that you have never really watched a basketball game in your life. Now let’s get someone who actually knows and watches basketball for the job.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 am

https://twitter.com/TheNatural_05/status/1049334623711494144

Guess Mike James wasn't a fan of McD
Still bitter about getting cut?
Yeah, I mean who gives a f*** what Mike James thinks.
He didn't think very well on the court. Why would we care how he thinks off it?
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JJ Slim wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 am
JJ Slim wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:43 am
I do wonder who wanted Ayton vs who wanted Doncic.
Does it really matter? Ayton is looking like a monster.
Both are monsters. The thing is that Dallas traded to get Doncic and it sounded like there were negotiations for the Suns to get him also. As someone said there are only two players on the team that are safe with Ayton being one. He should have given up most anything the get both. What a core to build around!
Absolutely. If Doncic was possible while also getting Ayton and keeping Booker, you do it whatever it takes. But ATL wanted Young and I can't imagine DAL allowing us to draft Doncic even if we sent them say Jackson, MIA pick and other assets. Can't see MEM going for that package instead of JJ3 either.
Hell we should have sent picks too even 2019 or 2020 unprotected. Gutting the core and building around two rookies would have almost guaranteed a low pick for them but from our perspective we would have had guaranteed talent vs maybes.
Agreed, but probably just not doable in reality.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

McDonough and Sarver probably had a disagreement regarding the point guard position. I'm sure Sarver wanted Ryan to trade the pick away unprotected and Ryan didn't want to attach him name to it, thus, the firing.