Ryan out as GM

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Ryan out as GM

Post by Superbone »

Alright, just woke up to this news. Still processing. Color me shocked. Mostly because of the strange timing. Many here were calling for his head but now don't like it because of the timing. The source of all bad basketball decisions: Sarver. Give me the patience to accept the things that I cannot change...
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:01 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:00 am
EDC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 am
What a circus. The timing on it is awful. I just don't understand how anyone can be up for James Jones. His post playing career is just one year as vp for us.

There were quite a few of us that wanted to keep McD only because we knew if he gets canned he will be replaced with someone with zero experience. Now we get to watch a new GM f*** this team up with stupid trades as they try to learn the position.

Bender might have been the straw that broke the camels back.
But to defend Sarver for a moment--If you know he isn't the guy, even after you just gave him an extension, you bite the bullet and make the move. Don't throw good money after bad.
If the owner has no confidence that McD can close the deal in free agency next summer, the time to fire him is now. Waiting just runs the risk of not getting someone in time. Actually. October is probably the perfect time to fire a GM. He got his chance to put his team together. You can evaluate and decide if he is cutting it. Not a lot of big moves are made during the year. The worst time to fire a GM is at the end of a season. There are just too many moving parts for a GM in the off-season.
Now that sounds like the company line.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Another Theory regarding the timing could be that Coach Kokoskov went over Mc D s’head because he was unhappy with the roster, especially the PG situation and Mc D didn’t listen to what he was saying. A lot of firings are made because of relationships.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

gosuns wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 am
Another Theory regarding the timing could be that Coach Kokoskov went over Mc D s’head because he was unhappy with the roster, especially the PG situation and Mc D didn’t listen to what he was saying. A lot of firings are made because of relationships.
20 years experience vs a lot less, and a coach needs a PG and there isn't one. I'd have said something also (so I like this line of thinking)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

gosuns wrote:
My theory, totally out of my a$$:
McD wasn't allowed to trade another 1st. Found out that every other GM has him over the barrel and wouldn't trade without a 1st involved. Possibly, Dragic could have been had, but Dragic didn't want to go back to Phoenix while McD was still in charge.

They just need a steady hand and confidence in the franchise. Might not happen while Sarver is the owner. The one name that would bring back confidence and respect back to the Suns is the godfather, Jerry Colangelo, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Maybe Sarver was just jealous that Ryan was on the NBA TV GM special and he wasn't.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Jared Dudley is perplexed:

https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/1049330060438753280

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would take Bryan Colangelo back in a heartbeat. Just keep his wife off social media. Not interested in David Griffin, severely overrated.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am
jonh wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 am
I wonder if Jerry Colangelo ever has any regrets about selling the team.
I wonder if Jerry Colangelo has any interest in being a GM.
I guarantee you Sarver has no interest in Colangelo being the GM.
And vice versa.
Is that you, Bryan?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

My theory: McDonough had a lot of leeway going in to this summer to remake the roster by any means necessary as long as it yielded a competitive team. Now that the season has arrived and we don't have a PG, which was a massive need going in to the summer, AND there is no good PG trade on the horizon.. well, that was a fatal failure.

Still, the timing is moronic.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

To be fair, re: Woj tweets, he was a BIG fan of McDonough. Take it with a grain of salt.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

OE32

Post by OE32 »

You have to think the odds that we'll be involved in that Butler deal has just gone up. The odds that we'll overpay for a PG have now gone way up.

Gotta wonder if Sarver wasn't furious at the fact that no one was showing up to our games and simply wouldn't tolerate one more year of not competing, regardless whether that was optimal for the long-term.

Overall, I have to say I've been happy with McD. The 2013, 2014 and 2016 drafts were disastrous, and the 2017 draft is starting to look pretty bad as well. But we've only drafted a handful of franchise players in our history, and McD drafted two of them. Kudos are due to an extent, but it's not like he didn't get a ton of shots at a franchise player.

I just don't think Sarver is okay with losing another year and blames McD for it. Could be something more along conspiracy lines - Dragic here on the condition that McD is out, maybe.

The real question here is whether any of the guys who could step in will be in better. Griff? Jones? McHale? I'm not confident in any of these guys. Whomever voted against the Chriss deal and drafting Bender - that's the guy I consider promoting.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am
Really odd timing. There must be an interesting behind-the-scenes story. I hope we find out what it is.
timing? not really. you only fire the guy if you already have somebody lined up to replace mcdo. @dg_riff.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am
My theory: McDonough had a lot of leeway going in to this summer to remake the roster by any means necessary as long as it yielded a competitive team. Now that the season has arrived and we don't have a PG, which was a massive need going in to the summer, AND there is no good PG trade on the horizon.. well, that was a fatal failure.
+1

My take as well.

Does this give us greater leeway (excuse) to fail another season, or does this mean a push to overpay in order to compete this season? I love me some Zion Williamson, but I'm so tired of watching this team get its ass kicked.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It does definitely feel like the firing was PG related.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just what we needed to hear. Markieff Morris chimes in.

https://twitter.com/AZSports/status/1049353553783877632

"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 am
gosuns wrote:
My theory, totally out of my a$$:
McD wasn't allowed to trade another 1st. Found out that every other GM has him over the barrel and wouldn't trade without a 1st involved. Possibly, Dragic could have been had, but Dragic didn't want to go back to Phoenix while McD was still in charge.

They just need a steady hand and confidence in the franchise. Might not happen while Sarver is the owner. The one name that would bring back confidence and respect back to the Suns is the godfather, Jerry Colangelo, imo.
I wonder if the three team deal gets made now. Sarver loved Dragic but obviously Dragic and McD has a bad falling out over IT.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

OE32 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am
You have to think the odds that we'll be involved in that Butler deal has just gone up. The odds that we'll overpay for a PG have now gone way up.

Gotta wonder if Sarver wasn't furious at the fact that no one was showing up to our games and simply wouldn't tolerate one more year of not competing, regardless whether that was optimal for the long-term.

Overall, I have to say I've been happy with McD. The 2013, 2014 and 2016 drafts were disastrous, and the 2017 draft is starting to look pretty bad as well. But we've only drafted a handful of franchise players in our history, and McD drafted two of them. Kudos are due to an extent, but it's not like he didn't get a ton of shots at a franchise player.

I just don't think Sarver is okay with losing another year and blames McD for it. Could be something more along conspiracy lines - Dragic here on the condition that McD is out, maybe.

The real question here is whether any of the guys who could step in will be in better. Griff? Jones? McHale? I'm not confident in any of these guys. Whomever voted against the Chriss deal and drafting Bender - that's the guy I consider promoting.
I cant give him credit for Booker. They were trying to trade up to get Frank Kaminsky.

Can we really give him credit for Ayton?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/1049331975717306368

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1049335528556978176

"Be Legendary."