2018-2019 NBA season predictions

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2018-2019 NBA season predictions

Post by ShelC »

carey wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:52 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:29 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 am
I've got to say tht my belief in Igor is shaken after the preseason.
He's had only a handful of games, all of them without his best player, with a ton of new pieces on the roster, and his GM just got fired. I think it's understandable that they'd look pretty bumpy in preseason. But I do agree that they don't look very good so far.
Our roster outside of Booker & Ayton is hot garbage. I'm not going to indict Coach Koko on that.
Agreed on all of these things. I don't exactly love the motion/cutting offense right now because of our personnel but we don't know what it will look like with time/reps and Booker added into the mix. We're a young-ish team with no PG so an offense based on reads takes time. When you have the Warriors roster, it's a fun offense. For us right now, not so much. I'd like to see us simplify things with PnRs and post ups for Ayton. I wish we'd give him the ball as much as the Sixers gave Embiid the ball when he got back on the court.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here we go - 5-minute interview with Earl Watson about his time with the Suns and the firing of Ryan McDonough.

https://sports.yahoo.com/earl-watson-su ... 21111.html

I'll let you guys watch it without editorializing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

n4th4n wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 am
Wasn't sure where to post this, but here we go - 5-minute interview with Earl Watson about his time with the Suns and the firing of Ryan McDonough.

If you won't, will someone? I don't want to see Watson talk.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am
n4th4n wrote:

So close your eyes and just listen.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am
Indy wrote:
n4th4n wrote:

10/10

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Thank you Earl Watson for starting Devin Booker and standing up to Mc D who wanted Brandon Knight to start over him.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

gosuns wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:30 am
Thank you Earl Watson for starting Devin Booker and standing up to Mc D who wanted Brandon Knight to start over him.
Don't buy his bullshit like he was the only one who saw that Devin Booker needed to start after his rookie year. I'd say 100% of posters here were on that exact same boat.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am so not listening to an interview with Earl Watson. In general I can do without these bitter ex-Suns people like him, Mike James, Markieff Morris, etc. bashing the Suns essentially because they're mad at how we treated them in the past.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:01 pm
I am so not listening to an interview with Earl Watson. In general I can do without these bitter ex-Suns people like him, Mike James, M******f M****s, etc. bashing the Suns essentially because they're mad at how we treated them in the past.
Especially when those people mentioned were terrible.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 am
Cap wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am
Indy wrote:
n4th4n wrote:

10/10
Really? Or are you just trying to find out if you really can OD on sarcasm?

Indy

Post by Indy »

A little of column a, a little of column b

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here are my predictions!

West
1. Golden State Warriors
2. Utah Jazz
3. Houston Rockets
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. New Orleans Pelicans
6. Denver Nuggets
7. Los Angeles Lakers
8. Oklahoma City Thunder
9. Portland Trailblazers
10. Memphis Grizzlies
11. Phoenix Suns
12. Minnesota Timberwolves
13. Dallas Mavericks
14. Los Angeles Clippers
15. Sacramento Kings

Some notes on West teams: I really, really like the Jazz. I think they'll be way up at the top of the standings. Love everything about that team: defense, passing, shooting, and a budding star in Donovan Mitchell.

I also think the Spurs will be pretty good; they're a weird team, but they were strong last year without Kawhi and with all of his drama, and they've picked up a good player in DeRozan. They sort of look like a 35-win team, but I have given up on doubting their system. They will find a way to scrape together 50 wins and shock us all again.

I like the Pelicans a lot. Davis is just a monster, and being rid of the uncertainty of the Boogie situation may be good for them. Holiday also seems to have figured out who he is and is a real cornerstone for that team. I like Mirotic a lot next to Davis. Not sure about the fit of guys like Julius Randle and Jahlil Okafor in their big man rotation.

I don't really know where to put the Lakers. I don't think they are going to be very good. I look at their roster and I don't see a bunch of guys who I think will mesh very well with Lebron. I don't like their PG situation where Rondo is crowding out Ball, and where Lebron doesn't seem to be taking Ball under his wing much. That concerns me.

I don't like the Thunder, especially given that Westbrook looks a little gimpy to start the season, along with the big injury to Roberson. The best thing they have going for them is that they have rid themselves of Melo while retaining Paul George. But I don't think that alone translates to a good season.

I think the Blazers are going to drop this year big-time. They shocked everybody by being 3rd in the West last year, but something like the 3-11 seed were only 2-3 games apart. I don't read much into that. I just don't like their roster. They depend too much on two ball-dominant guards in Lillard and McCollum, and they didn't get better this offseason while most of the West did. I think they regress to the mean this year and get passed by a lot of these other teams who were right behind them last season.

I didn't spend a ton of thought on the ordering of the non-playoff West teams. I will say in general that I like almost every team in the West; I think most of these teams will be very watchable and fun and interesting this season. I would put the Wolves much higher if they didn't have the Jimmy Butler drama and likely departure. I see some people in the media liking the Clippers and saying they'll be a playoff team, but I look at their roster and see a bunch of mediocre role-players with no star power at all. I really don't think they will be good. I kind of like the Grizzlies despite ranking them 10th. They have two great veteran leaders and a stud rookie in Jackson Jr. I just think they lack depth and shooting on the roster. I like the Mavs roster as a playground for Doncic and his passing. I want to see what the Kings young bigs can do.

And then of course there's our Suns. I put them 11th, ahead of most of the dregs but behind teams with veteran leadership. I don't think we make any serious challenge at a playoff spot this year, but I think we get 30-35 wins and see some good signs that lead us to next year.

East
1. Boston Celtics
2. Milwaukee Bucks
3. Toronto Raptors
4. Indiana Pacers
5. Philadelphia 76ers
6. Charlotte Hornets
7. Miami Heat
8. Orlando Magic
9. Washington Wizards
10. Cleveland Cavs
11. Brooklyn Nets
12. Chicago Bulls
13. Detroit Pistons
14. Atlanta Hawks
15. New York Knicks

Some notes on East teams: I L-O-V-E this Bucks team. I think they will go to the Finals this year. They are nasty good, and I love Coach Bud for them. Their roster is just full of guys who I think can deliver for them, like Middleton, Brogdon, Brook Lopez, Ilyasova, Bledsoe (really), and of course the Freak, who I think will be top-3 for MVP.

I don't know what to make of the Raptors. On paper they should be really good with Kawhi. But I do worry that he doesn't really want to be there and may not be motivated to play his best. We'll have to see. If everything clicks they will be a really good team.

I see a lot of people touting Philly as a top-3 team in the East this year. They might be, but I still think their youth will betray them and that they have a lot of question marks. In particular, what is Fultz going to give them? Will teams adapt to Simmons's lack of shooting and sag off him? How will that affect their offense and spacing? Is Embiid going to stay healthy and actually play 75-82 games? I like this team a lot but think there are a lot of things that could cause setbacks for them this year.

I like Indiana a lot. Sabonis looks great for them, and Oladipo and Turner seem locked and loaded. I like their changes, bringing in Tyreke Evans and drafting Aaron Holiday. I like Bogdonovic. Smart, solid team with lots of veterans. They will be good.

I want to call attention to my #6 Charlotte Hornets. A lot of people have the Hornets missing the playoffs entirely. What?!? They look poised to really rise this year. Look at their roster. They have Kemba and MKG as their guards, along with lots of savvy role players like Batum, Biyombo, Kaminsky, Hermangomez, Malik Monk, Tony Parker ... and then they draft Miles Bridges, who has looked like an absolute stud in the preseason. This is absolutely a playoff team. They are going to be good, and most people don't even have them in the top 8 in the crappy East. I don't get it.

I really dislike the Wizards this year. Every year this team lures me in and tricks me into thinking they will be good, and they blow it. I like Wall and Beal a lot, but they seem to get hurt too much and haven't shown the career growth I was hoping for. Signing Dwight Howard is the last straw for me; this team is done. I think they miss the playoffs or barely squeak in.

Another random team I think may be better than predicted is the Orlando Magic. I may be crazy having them up at #8, but I looked at the bottom of the East and don't like any of the teams down there at all. People think Detroit will make the playoffs, but their roster is just wretched. Some predict the Nets; maybe. But they feel to me like the Clippers in that they don't have any studs or stars to carry them. I think Orlando actually has the most interesting young pieces and most likelihood of surprising people. They have Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba, Jonathan Isaac (who has looked very good), Terrence Ross, Nikola Vucevic, along with a few other random solid vets like Jonathan Simmons and DJ Augustin. They have a weak guard rotation and need more shooting, but they could run a lot of teams off the floor. With the East being so bad, somebody surprising is going to get in the playoffs, and the Magic are my longshot pick.

Quick Finals prediction: Warriors over Bucks in 5. Milwaukee surprises Boston and wins the East behind a nasty performance from Giannis. Warriors Three-Peat.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori, you are totally crazy.

My predictions. I know it's day two but I didn't watch day one games.

West:

Warriors
Rockets
Jazz
Thunder
Nuggets
Pelicans
Lakers
Spurs

Rockets will be successful in the regular season, not so much in the post season
Jazz defense and continuity will keep them going strong in the regular season as well
Thunder addition by subtraction, plus their defense is very good when Roberson comes back; Schroeder will also be very useful
Nuggets, it's their time. Millsap will also help a lot, and plenty of internal growth
As long as AD doesn't get hurt I think the Pelicans have a formula for 500+ basketball now
The Lakers pick makes me vomit in my mouth a little. But as much as I dislike LeBron gotta respect his game
Spurs backcourt is decimated. Before injury to Murray and White I would've ranked them 6th easy, maybe even 5

East:

Celtics
Raptors
76ers
Bucks
Pacers
Wizards
Heat
Pistons

Celtics, because.
The Kawhi situation is not as grave as people think. He knows he has to repair his image and speak with his game. I suspect he'll stay in Toronto
76ers are still young but Embiid and Simmons alone are enough to power this team to 3rd in the east, because they play in the east.
Bud will be a nice addition but I am still curious about their outside shooting. Lopez is nice and all, but he still can't guard outside the paint.
Like the Pacers and their off season moves, but their growth still has to come from within. Can Myles Turner really turn the corner?
Wizards because star power.
Heat because Spoelstra.
Pistons because I really can't think of any other team to put up there, and no, don't like the Hornets roster other than that they got rid of Howard.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

West
1. Warriors
2. Jazz
3. Rockets
4. OKC
5. Nuggets
6. Pelicans
7. Lakers
8. Spurs
9. Blazers
10. Grizzlies
11. Wolves
12. Mavs
13. Suns
14. Clippers
15. Kings

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

East
1. Celtics
2. Bucks
3. Raptors
4. Sixers
5. Pacers
6. Wizards
7. Hornets
8. Cavs
9. Pistons
10. Heat
11. Bulls
12. Magic
13. Nets
14. Hawks
15. New York Knicks

Split T

Post by Split T »

Can I bump New Orleans up in my prediction? They look fantastic

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

My only prediction for the season:

Booker and Ayton will average a combined 45 / 15 / 7.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 pm

This might seem crazy (still high from last night), but that 3rd number looks low.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:16 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 pm

This might seem crazy (still high from last night), but that 3rd number looks low.
It really does, and that's not just the high from last night. Booker could easily drop 6 himself, if he has the ball as much as he used to. 5 assists would be good for Booker if we are moving the ball and other are passing, and 2 assists would be good for a rookie center. But they are certainly capable of much more.

All of those numbers are good but not shocking. 50/18/9 would be a more optimistic prediction.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan