Point Guards

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Vladimir_Taltos

Point Guards

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Ok...giggles...a few out of the blue ideas on PG...naturally, this also means being able to get them...tbd.

a. Pry Spencer Dinwiddie out of Brooklyn...
b. Askia Booker...pry him out of the G-League
c. Lure Josh Magette back from Croatia
d. This one is tough..pry Quinn Cook out of the Warriors..partly because he might not appreciate that...lol.

Just some food for thought...
VT

SDC

Re: Point Guards

Post by SDC »

i'd give jimmer fredette a shot. i'd give up the milwaukee pick for teodosic or lin.

SDC

Post by SDC »

best case scenario: getting both lin and teodosic

bestest case: lin, milos, and jimmer.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

TJ McConnell or Malcolm Brogdon would be great, but I wouldn't trade much to get either of them. I think they'll both be UFA next year if I'm not mistaken?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yes, they are.

Delon Wright's is currently trying to work with Toronto's front office to come to terms on an extension. If that doesn't materialize, I would think we could send the Milwaukee pick (and maybe a protected second rounder) to Toronto for him, using the disable player exception.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 am
TJ McConnell or Malcolm Brogdon would be great, but I wouldn't trade much to get either of them. I think they'll both be UFA next year if I'm not mistaken?
I'd give up a pick for either, if they were open to resigning.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:01 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
I'd give up a pick for either, if they were open to resigning.
Yeah, as much as I like both, I think I would only give up a heavily protected 1st rounder. I think 2 second rounders is fair. But I would make a heavy run at both next year at UFAs. I think either of them make a lot of sense for this team.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Why on McConnell? I know that he's a feisty player and all but he's clearly not a long term solution. For stop gap, I'd rather not spend too much in terms of assets.

I like Ty Jones and Delon Wright. I know that Terry Rozier is gonna be expensive and he's currently a horrible shooter, but I'd take a shot at him for the right price too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Bender for Brogdon. Milwaukee gets to trade up from 36 to 4 in the 2016 draft. Such a deal!

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

We need a point god. In the meantime, how about someone who will prevent the team from losing by 30 points. Someone who isn’t going to pound the ball and will do what Igor needs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This point guard situation, combined with our GM turnover, just screams, "give up a 1st rounder to get a stopgap mediocre veteran PG."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Jarret Jack as a starter, Crawford for the second unit, cut Shaq and Canaan and have Okobo and Melton learn.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yes please.

SDC

Post by SDC »

what?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Jarret Jack as a starter, Crawford for the second unit, cut Shaq and Canaan and have Okobo and Melton learn.
+1

Cap

Post by Cap »

I can’t believe we’re talking about Jamal Crawford and Jarrett Jack.

Seriously, I didn’t know those guys were still playing.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Gross.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The question is how to get serviceable PGs to hold down the fort enough so that the development of Ayton, Jackson, and even Booker are not impeded. Jack is a consummate pro who is known as the kind of floor general that Koko wants. Crawford has his warts but is fantastic on the pick and roll with a dominant big man. No more questions regarding getting Ayton the ball.

And both Crawford and Jack were effective last year. The hope is that they will provide enough stability so that Melton or Okobo can emerge.

https://thunderousintentions.com/2018/0 ... r-veteran/

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

And the key is to avoid being held up for assets in a trade...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jack played well for the Knicks last year and if we're running a motion offense, he's a guy who can run the offense and hit shots off curls. Same with Crawford. We're not asking them to run PnRs 90% of the time. And unfortunately, Harrison can't shoot, Okobo and Melton aren't ready, and Canaan is essentially a 3rd stringer.

The other thing we're missing on the perimeter is someone who can create their own shot and breakdown a defense. That's why teams could overplay on the perimeter in the preseason. Booker will help solve that problem but when he's not the game, that's something JCraw can be a threat with. Otherwise, we're just passing around the perimeter and being suffocated on D because no one can get by their man.