Around the League: Week 1 10/16-10/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Around the League: Week 1 10/16-10/21

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:28 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:24 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 am
I really wish Ayton would get motivated by Bagley's block #s more than his pts or rebounds or anything else. Ayton has ONE block through three games this season.

That's just unacceptable of a player 7'0 tall with a 7'6 wingspan and the mobility that he has.
It feels like he is being told not to leave his feet on defense.
I've thought the same thing watching him. It's the right way to play instead of jumping around chasing blocks and leaving your man open or getting caught with fouls. Stay solid, arms up and change the shot. What's lacking now is the awareness to adjust and re-direct on the next pass after he changes or discourages the shot. He stays flatfooted and is slow to react opening back up. Could be the speed of the game right now, his overall awareness and learning to stay on his toes to be quicker.
Could be all of that, or that Booker lets his guy get by him on nearly every possession. When it isn't for an open jumper, that means Ayton has to rotate, which leaves the opposing center wide open to grab the changed shot and dunk on Ayton. And it doesn't help that Anderson and Ariza are awful defenders, too.
Regardless of Booker, or Canaan, or others, Ayton needs to intimidate people. We should look for a stretch 4 that can help faster and bother drivers enough for Ayton to loom over. Bender's mobility is worth a last shot. Just pay attention, cover ground and make a three.

On the Booker front, we need a PG whos is a defender and can either pass or shoot. George Hill could be a good target and supposedly not expensive.

In the meantime, Canaan is doing his best but that's too little to be playing 30mpg. Use Okobo and Melton already, let's see what we have.

We are logging 65+mpg from Anderson (93 Ortng), Chandler (80 Ortng), Canaan (103 Ortng). plus Jackson (75 Ortng) over 24mpg. This means over 37% of the time, we have the court one player that's an offensive issue.

And get this, Anderson and Jackson are our two worst defenders (defensive ratings of 120 and 117, then Canaan is tied with Booker and Ariza's 116. Nobody under 105.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am
Booker's definitely a issue on defense but we've known that and I don't know how much better he can get. Maybe the scheme will help, but I do think that if our PG and PF are better defenders it will go a long way. That's why I suggested Holmes next to Ayton, tho it will hurt spacing.
Holmes might help next to Ayton on defense, but I'm not convinced that it would.

Most of Booker's woes on defense are due to effort and concentration. Those are entirely in Booker's control to fix.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 am
Anyone care about Elfrid Payton? He's put up good numbers so far this season. I don't think he'd have been a great fit for our offense but I still would've taken him over our current situation.
As predicted, he's a lot better without the hair hat.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:07 am
ShelC wrote:
Anyone care about Elfrid Payton? He's put up good numbers so far this season. I don't think he'd have been a great fit for our offense but I still would've taken him over our current situation.
Yeah, we thought he would be, but he's definitely surprised by how much.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:33 am
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
I really wish Ayton would get motivated by Bagley's block #s more than his pts or rebounds or anything else. Ayton has ONE block through three games this season.

That's just unacceptable of a player 7'0 tall with a 7'6 wingspan and the mobility that he has.
I've thought the same thing watching him. It's the right way to play instead of jumping around chasing blocks and leaving your man open or getting caught with fouls. Stay solid, arms up and change the shot. What's lacking now is the awareness to adjust and re-direct on the next pass after he changes or discourages the shot. He stays flatfooted and is slow to react opening back up. Could be the speed of the game right now, his overall awareness and learning to stay on his toes to be quicker.
Could be all of that, or that Booker lets his guy get by him on nearly every possession. When it isn't for an open jumper, that means Ayton has to rotate, which leaves the opposing center wide open to grab the changed shot and dunk on Ayton. And it doesn't help that Anderson and Ariza are awful defenders, too.
Regardless of Booker, or Canaan, or others, Ayton needs to intimidate people. We should look for a stretch 4 that can help faster and bother drivers enough for Ayton to loom over. Bender's mobility is worth a last shot. Just pay attention, cover ground and make a three.

On the Booker front, we need a PG whos is a defender and can either pass or shoot. George Hill could be a good target and supposedly not expensive.

In the meantime, Canaan is doing his best but that's too little to be playing 30mpg. Use Okobo and Melton already, let's see what we have.

We are logging 65+mpg from Anderson (93 Ortng), Chandler (80 Ortng), Canaan (103 Ortng). plus Jackson (75 Ortng) over 24mpg. This means over 37% of the time, we have the court one player that's an offensive issue.

And get this, Anderson and Jackson are our two worst defenders (defensive ratings of 120 and 117, then Canaan is tied with Booker and Ariza's 116. Nobody under 105.
We've played 3 games... I wouldn't put much weight on those numbers yet. I'd also imagine defensive numbers around the league are all super high.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 am
We've played 3 games... I wouldn't put much weight on those numbers yet. I'd also imagine defensive numbers around the league are all super high.
Of course, sample is mall. But we have too many flawed pieces and after preseason the guys that were suspect are doing little to shake it off.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 am
Of course, sample is mall. But we have too many flawed pieces and after preseason the guys that were suspect are doing little to shake it off.
I agree, we're not a playoff team. But we're better than last year. I don't need us to make the jump from trash to good in one year

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

I thought Ariza was supposed to be a stud defensively??

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:07 am
ShelC wrote:
Don't understate the significantly better teammates and coaches around him now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 am
I actually think Canaan has been fine so far.
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm pretty sure Payton gave up after a few games. He looked great in the first couple games and then threw in the towel. Probably knew we weren't bringing him back.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

But he cut his hair for us!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:40 pm
Split T wrote:
Agreed.
Canaan - 29.5 Min, 38.2 FG%, 30.0 3Pt%, 66.7 FG%, 4.0 Reb, 3.2 Ast, 0.8 Stl, 0.0 Blk, 2.3 Trn, 8.5 Pts

The only area where he's been adequate is rebounding.

Which is like being the world's tallest midget.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:33 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agreed.
Canaan - 29.5 Min, 38.2 FG%, 30.0 3Pt%, 66.7 FG%, 4.0 Reb, 3.2 Ast, 0.8 Stl, 0.0 Blk, 2.3 Trn, 8.5 Pts

Apt simile.

SDC

Post by SDC »

awesome first play

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Canaan has been "fine," but I still think we could do a lot better at PG. I don't know that Payton would have been the answer, but I was a bit surprised that we let him walk. What is he making? Would it have cost us a lot to keep him?

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:33 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Agreed.

I made the comment after game 2. His last two games have been his worst. Still, we knew what he was. He plays ok defense. He allows Booker to not play point. His 3-point shot dissapeared the last two games. If he's hitting 3's he's fine. We have to rely on him for too many minutes, but we have worse problems than Canaan.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Canaan's not the sole cause by any means, but the PG position is of significant importance in this league and we have a 3rd stringer starting with no backup. He's pretty much this year's Ulis - a nice player who should be playing spot minutes or maybe a smaller backup role, but we're doing everyone a disservice starting him and giving him major minutes. It's unreal we find ourselves in this position.

I know Igor probably wants to win (or at least try to win) with vets right away and the younger guys like Melton and Okobo aren't ready, but at some point we're going to have to turn to them and Jackson, Warren, Bridges and even Bender. No point losing by 20 with Ariza, Anderson and Chandler and I feel like the more they lose, the more frustrated they'll get themselves. It'd be one thing to have a decent showing and lose by 8 with vets, but getting blown out with no defense and little energy/hustle from those vets isn't a good look at all.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Canaan is "fine" relative to his contract, what we spent to acquire him, and how big a role we expect him to play going forward. We should have the lowest expectations for Canaan of anyone getting minutes, and yet he's not the worst player out there.

Why is he in a position to make or break the team when we have Veteran Leaders and Exciting Young Talent? Because our other guys are so abysmally bad. If Anderson, Ariza, Warren, Jackson, Bender, and Booker could play some on the ball defense or if Anderson, Ariza, Jackson, or Bender actually played offense we wouldn't be getting blown out and Canaan would be just an inconvenience for the season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 am
Canaan's not the sole cause by any means, but the PG position is of significant importance in this league and we have a 3rd stringer starting with no backup. He's pretty much this year's Ulis - a nice player who should be playing spot minutes or maybe a smaller backup role, but we're doing everyone a disservice starting him and giving him major minutes. It's unreal we find ourselves in this position.

I know Igor probably wants to win (or at least try to win) with vets right away and the younger guys like Melton and Okobo aren't ready, but at some point we're going to have to turn to them and Jackson, Warren, Bridges and even Bender. No point losing by 20 with Ariza, Anderson and Chandler and I feel like the more they lose, the more frustrated they'll get themselves. It'd be one thing to have a decent showing and lose by 8 with vets, but getting blown out with no defense and little energy/hustle from those vets isn't a good look at all.
It's possible that he knows we are going to loose big and he doesn't want to put the young guys in a position to fail. Let Melton, Okobo, Bender, and Bridges build themselves up in practice and play them when they are ready to compete. No sense in having a young guy out there getting blown out if we aren't competitive enough to learn from the experience. At least, it's possible that's what he's thinking.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan