2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't see it with Hunter, but guys from Virginia tend to out perform their pre-draft evaluations.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like him. I don’t like that we’d be taking him top 5...as he’s be evaluated differently and be paid differently. In most drafts he’d be a late lotto guy.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

"I used to uhh, you guys are going to laugh, I used to go on message boards..."
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 am
I like him. I don’t like that we’d be taking him top 5...as he’s be evaluated differently and be paid differently. In most drafts he’d be a late lotto guy.
I'm fine with him in the late lotto (9-14). The inference in my point was that I don't like him for the Suns draft position.

I'll be surprised if he's ever an all-star, but I don't think it's a bad thing to take a solid 25min+ rotation guy in the late lottery.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:26 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 am
I'm fine with him in the late lotto (9-14). The inference in my point was that I don't like him for the Suns draft position.

I'll be surprised if he's ever an all-star, but I don't think it's a bad thing to take a solid 25min+ rotation guy in the late lottery.
I just think the 3-7 range is full of late lotto guys, so we have to take one of them if we don’t land Zion or Ja. Maybe RJ, but I’m not a huge fan. I think he could suffer from the josh Jackson syndrome of thinking he’s better than he is. He’s got confidence and aggression, but I’m not sure he’s as skilled as you’d like. His shot is meh. He’s just an ok athlete.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I really don’t care where we land if we don’t land top 2. A guy I want at 3 would be there at 7. Would give us more cap space too. I guess landing 3 and trading back to 7 would be ideal if we don’t get top 2.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm

I really don’t care where we land if we don’t land top 2. A guy I want at 3 would be there at 7. Would give us more cap space too. I guess landing 3 and trading back to 7 would be ideal if we don’t get top 2.
It’s rather get a top 2 pick or get the hell out of this draft.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm

It’s rather get a top 2 pick or get the hell out of this draft.
I think it is more of a "if you don't get top 2, don't give up more assets to try and pick multiple players between 3-10" like we did a few years ago. But if everyone is thinking this draft is nothing out of the top 2, we are not going to get good value for trading out of it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s easy to say trade the pick if we don’t land top 2, but like Indy said...other teams know this draft isn’t great as well. If we trade the pick, we’ll surely see a lot of complaints about the return.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 am
It’s easy to say trade the pick if we don’t land top 2, but like Indy said...other teams know this draft isn’t great as well. If we trade the pick, we’ll surely see a lot of complaints about the return.
We are going to trade it in a package that "wins" us Rozier. We will stretch Tyler and use some savings from that to re-sign Oubre, say we don't have enough left to bring back Holmes, then make an offer to Bender to play PF and say that we addressed our needs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:02 am
Split T wrote:
We are going to trade it in a package that "wins" us Rozier. We will stretch Tyler and use some savings from that to re-sign Oubre, say we don't have enough left to bring back Holmes, then make an offer to Bender to play PF and say that we addressed our needs.
This would be almost the worst case possible. I hope you are entirely wrong. Rozier isn't the solution.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
This would be almost the worst case possible. I hope you are entirely wrong. Rozier isn't the solution.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. It isn't what I want. It is what I would expect based on the behavior of our owner (I was sitting in the audience at AWA when he walked out Amar'e during the 2006 draft party to say "Here is your 1st round draft pick!" right after we drafted Rondo and traded him for future considerations then drafted Sergio Rodriguez and sold him to Portland for cash).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:54 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Oh, I couldn't agree more. It isn't what I want. It is what I would expect based on the behavior of our owner (I was sitting in the audience at AWA when he walked out Amar'e during the 2006 draft party to say "Here is your 1st round draft pick!" right after we drafted Rondo and traded him for future considerations then drafted Sergio Rodriguez and sold him to Portland for cash).
The Rondo draft was so frustrating to me. All I wanted was Rondo to drop to the Suns and then I see them trade it away was gut wrenching. My thought was that they needed someone that could be a pest to change the defensive pace when subbing in for Nash, but also someone that could have kept up the pace of the offense shoving it down the throats of the opposing team. We all saw how bad the Suns looked and how the pace slowed when Nash was out, but instead of trying to push it faster the next year, they got turned by group NBA think that they needed more defense(and yet passed on Rondo). I'm still pissed at this, and D'Antoni being so myopic about him.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Your coach should not be your GM and vice versa. They often times have competing priorities and need completely different vantage points to make good decisions.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I actually think RJ Barrett will be a very good pro. I like him a lot more than Culver. I just don't think he's a fit on our roster (right now).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am
I actually think RJ Barrett will be a very good pro. I like him a lot more than Culver. I just don't think he's a fit on our roster (right now).
If you took your 50th percentile NBA projection for them, what would be their doppelganger? We can all say that if so-and-so hits their high-end projection, he will be the next Curry/Durant/George/whatever. But realistically, what do the top 4 guys average projections feel like?

Zion-->
Morant-->
Culver-->
RJ-->

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm pretty sure that RJ is going to be a star in the league some day. I agree that he may not be the best fit for this team right now, but he's going to be better than Jackson day 1. He could even play as a big point guard from time to time, as he's a very good ball handler and it would be tough for pgs to keep him from getting to the basket.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Personally, if the pick is outside the top 3, just trade it. Zion, Ja, RJ in that order, and if we get #3, draft RJ and say adios to TJ and maybe JJ. But we all know the Suns will drop to #5 at least.

Split T

Post by Split T »

RJ Barrett - Harrison Barnes

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:57 pm
I think I’m moving Hunter back up my draft board. He’s very unlikely to be a star, but I know he’ll be good. he’ll defend 4 positions and he’ll hit 3’s.
I hate to put too much emphasis on one game, but Hunter really put on a show in the championship game. Displayed tremendous 2-way ability. The thing about him and PJ Washington, is that they just disappeared far too often. And that is scary for guys that aren't freshmen.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.