2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 pm
Maybe RJ, but I’m not a huge fan. I think he could suffer from the josh Jackson syndrome of thinking he’s better than he is. He’s got confidence and aggression, but I’m not sure he’s as skilled as you’d like. His shot is meh. He’s just an ok athlete.
I think a team will have to develop him as a point forward, similar to what Miami did this year with Justise Winslow.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:58 pm
RJ Barrett - Harrison Barnes
Honestly, they're nothing alike. Barnes was a jumpshooter, catch and shoot kind of player. He would take a few dribbles and shoot long jumpers. Better athlete than RJ. RJ is a vastly superior passer and is more of a one on one scorer than a jumpshooter.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

A less athletic, shiftier, better passing DeMar Derozan?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

NBA or college Derozan?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

NBA

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:57 pm
I think I’m moving Hunter back up my draft board. He’s very unlikely to be a star, but I know he’ll be good. he’ll defend 4 positions and he’ll hit 3’s.
I hate to put too much emphasis on one game, but Hunter really put on a show in the championship game. Displayed tremendous 2-way ability. The thing about him and PJ Washington, is that they just disappeared far too often. And that is scary for guys that aren't freshmen.
If you look purely at what would fit the Suns I think Hunter would be a great pick. By that logic I would argue that we need Morant more than we need Zion. I for one would consider trading back from one to two and picking up a future first pick in the process. Disappearing isn’t that bad if your team is winning, it might be a sign that for him the Team success comes before getting his numbers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:58 pm
RJ Barrett - Harrison Barnes
Honestly, they're nothing alike. Barnes was a jumpshooter, catch and shoot kind of player. He would take a few dribbles and shoot long jumpers. Better athlete than RJ. RJ is a vastly superior passer and is more of a one on one scorer than a jumpshooter.
I was more comparing the trajectory. Barnes was supposed to be the next Kobe...and he ended up just ok. RJ did have a better college season than Barnes did at UNC though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:57 pm
I think I’m moving Hunter back up my draft board. He’s very unlikely to be a star, but I know he’ll be good. he’ll defend 4 positions and he’ll hit 3’s.
I hate to put too much emphasis on one game, but Hunter really put on a show in the championship game. Displayed tremendous 2-way ability. The thing about him and PJ Washington, is that they just disappeared far too often. And that is scary for guys that aren't freshmen.
Ya that’s fair. I’m happy just taking Clarke if we don’t land top 2. He showed up all year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Maybe RJ, but I’m not a huge fan. I think he could suffer from the josh Jackson syndrome of thinking he’s better than he is. He’s got confidence and aggression, but I’m not sure he’s as skilled as you’d like. His shot is meh. He’s just an ok athlete.
I think a team will have to develop him as a point forward, similar to what Miami did this year with Justise Winslow.
Do you think a Booker/Barrett backcourt could work? Would it leave us too vulnerable to scoring pg's?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm
Decent comparison. Jalen Rose also comes to mind.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Do you think a Booker/Barrett backcourt could work? Would it leave us too vulnerable to scoring pg's?
I'm not sure that backcourt would work defensively. What I am envisioning is having Barratt and Booker play with a small guard, like Tyler Johnson, Norman Powell, Carson Edwards, etc.

I also think Barratt has the rebounding ability to potentially be a small ball 4.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm
Decent comparison. Jalen Rose also comes to mind.
Interesting. I'm not sure I totally agree on this one, but I'm not going to totally dismiss it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

It's still top 2 or bust for me at this point. The only issue is if we are in the 3-7 range and open for business what can we reasonably expect as a return? I know things are fluid. What is seen as a weak draft now could change when teams start really digging into the draft and having guys workout. Or the common perception that the third tier is rather lengthy could hold. If teams would be happy with any of a dozen guys in tier 3 that certainly diminishes the value of the pick as I think several teams will be trying to trade down and pick up assets.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You just know we'll get the #4 pick or some garbage like that and will have to take some broken 3-4 tweener forward who adds nothing to the team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'd be very happy with Brandon Clarke.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's fitting that 2 years ago we took a SF in a PG heavy draft, last year we traded for a SF on draft night, and now this year the draft is stacked with SG/SFs when it's the last position we need to fill. Outside of the top 2 (Zion, Ja), where are the PGs and PFs?

If we land 3rd or 4th, I'd be tempted to offer that pick plus some combo of Warren, Tyler, Jackson and our young PGs for Conley and their pick (assuming it's in the 7-10 range). Memphis is cleaning house with their FO and coaching staff and if we can dangle a 3rd or 4th pick where they can take one of the bigger names in the draft to rebuild with (Reddish, Barret), I think a deal can be made.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 am
I'd be very happy with Brandon Clarke.
I would too. Then we can move off of the hope that the draft is going to save the Suns. We can start moving to filling holes in the roster through trades and free agency.

I think Clarke is a very good long term fit next to Ayton. His shot is improving to the point that it's projectable that he could be a 3-D fit at pf somewhat like Bridges is projectable for the same thing at sf. Yeah, he's going to be a role player, but he will be a very valuable role player. Put in a very good passing and shooting pg star and you have you have the makings of a solid roster that projects to be a problem for the future, imo.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 am
It's fitting that 2 years ago we took a SF in a PG heavy draft, last year we traded for a SF on draft night, and now this year the draft is stacked with SG/SFs when it's the last position we need to fill. Outside of the top 2 (Zion, Ja), where are the PGs and PFs?

If we land 3rd or 4th, I'd be tempted to offer that pick plus some combo of Warren, Tyler, Jackson and our young PGs for Conley and their pick (assuming it's in the 7-10 range). Memphis is cleaning house with their FO and coaching staff and if we can dangle a 3rd or 4th pick where they can take one of the bigger names in the draft to rebuild with (Reddish, Barret), I think a deal can be made.
I like that general direction, assuming we don't get a top-2 pick. Conley is older than our core, but we need a steady hand at PG, and he's got several good years left in him. Would much prefer a Conley over somebody like Rozier or Patrick Beverley.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:

I'm not opposed to that deal. If the Suns move back with a deal like that, Clarke would conceivably still be available. Then on draft night you already have the semblance of a balanced roster and still a little money to find vets to bolster the starting lineup and bench.

The only problem is that Memphis won't keep their pick if it stays where it is. It goes to Boston.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:

I actually like the PF’s in this draft. Clarke, Hunter, Washington...some may call Hunter a tweener, but he looks like a 4 to me. He’s probably 6’8 220 and has a 7’ plus wingspan.

I really wanted to like Reddish, but he just wasn’t good this year...he’s a risky pick. I think RJ is overrated. He’s got the right mentality, I just don’t think he’s as good as he thinks...feels like he’ll be a high volume, inefficient scorer in the nba. Culver is nice...he’s my favorite wing, but I don’t think he’s special. Then Keldon Johnson, Nassir Little, Romeo Langford are meh to me.

Darius Garland is an interesting name. Only played like 6 games, but he was ranked above Morant at beginning of the season. He can really shoot and pass...he’s an option if we drop.

I still like Clarke the best if we don’t land top 2. I get Marion vibes with him. The athleticism, ability to defend everyone, ugly jumpshot. I just think he’ll be a guy that doesn’t demand the ball, but does so many good things offensively and defensively.