2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:12 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Didn't we learn from Jazz Twitter that it will be Mitchell as the next MJ. :lol:
What happened to him? He did look pretty special his rookie year. Did defenses just learn how to play him? It has to be more than that.
Donovan Mitchell? He had a fine season. 24/4/4. His shooting and passing both improved slightly. Defenses learned to force him into midrange jumpers more often.

Houston is shutting him down now, but they did that last year in the playoffs too.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought that Donovan Mitchell is going to be the next DWade?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

Didn't we learn from Jazz Twitter that it will be Mitchell as the next MJ. :lol:
What happened to him? He did look pretty special his rookie year. Did defenses just learn how to play him? It has to be more than that.
Donovan Mitchell? He had a fine season. 24/4/4. His shooting and passing both improved slightly. Defenses learned to force him into midrange jumpers more often.

Houston is shutting him down now, but they did that last year in the playoffs too.
Yeah, I was more talking about how he was taking over playoff games a year ago and getting to the basket at will.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:30 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

Yeah, I was more talking about how he was taking over playoff games a year ago and getting to the basket at will.
That was OKC. Houston had his number last year too. He shot under 30% for the first 3 games of that series, and had one good game against them once it was all but over.

He's certainly not MJ! but I don't think he has regressed.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:30 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

That was OKC. Houston had his number last year too. He shot under 30% for the first 3 games of that series, and had one good game against them once it was all but over.

He's certainly not MJ! but I don't think he has regressed.
Yeah, he's improved, but he's just not the messiah that they thought he was.....yet.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

He had a rough start to the season...still was taking a ton of shots but not making many. His 2nd half was really good though. He shot well and scored at a high level.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 am
He was bad this year, but I could see Nassir Little being a really good pro. But he needs A LOT of work.
I liked him a lot more before the season. He needs to refine his skills. The intangibles are there, though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What do you guys think of Arturs Zagars?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think NBA team are allowed to draft 12-year-olds.

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:33 am

I can't tell if you're joking. He entered his name in the draft.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I really love this kid, his feel for the game, his shot, his skills around the basket, and I think he's the best passer in the draft.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:

i laughed. He's built like a teen vegan.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:17 am
INFORMER wrote:

Is the kid pictured seriously 18 or older?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:24 pm
Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:17 am
INFORMER wrote:

Is the kid pictured seriously 18 or older?
It was a troll pic by INF, when he was much younger. The kid has been a prodigy since like 8 yrs old. Then, finally went through a growth spurt when he was 16 and went from 5'10" to about 6'3" what he is now, but still might be growing

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks. Just looked him up and he's 19 and a 6'3" PG. So is he draft eligible this year?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:47 pm
Thanks. Just looked him up and he's 19 and a 6'3" PG. So is he draft eligible this year?
Yes, he's applied for the draft.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am
INFORMER wrote:

Yeah, I am just joking around. When I Googled him, that image was one of the first hits. He looked ridiculously young in that photo, but I'm not sure how old he is in it.

I'm not sure if James Jones would be willing to draft him. He doesn't strike me as the patient type, and since Okobo wasn't instant gold, I'm not sure if he want to draft another foreign teenager.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am
INFORMER wrote:

Yeah, I am just joking around. When I Googled him, that image was one of the first hits. He looked ridiculously young in that photo, but I'm not sure how old he is in it.

I'm not sure if James Jones would be willing to draft him. He doesn't strike me as the patient type, and since Okobo wasn't instant gold, I'm not sure if he want to draft another foreign teenager.
Yeah, he may take awhile longer for his body to physically mature. Could be a great candidate to draft and stash, although his feel for the game is in another stratosphere as Okobo's. I wouldn't call them close to the same type of prospects in terms of bballiq and skill, but Okobo is a bit ahead of him physically.

Ultimately, you're probably right about Jones having cold feet on this kid, but does he actually look all that much younger than Steph Curry did? I really think it's going to be a mistake to pass on him if you can pick him up later in the draft.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Do we even have European scouting anymore?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there’s almost a zero chance we take Zagars. The one slight chance is if we decide we don’t want to add another player with our 2nd round pick, can’t find a trade partner, so we just grab a euro we can stash.

As Inf said, Jones is all about getting better now. He’s not going to be into drafting projects. I think it’s highly likely he try's to trade our picks or at least find nba ready players. And we probably already have too many pg projects on the roster...assuming we add a new starting pg to the roster this summer.