2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:50 am
I don’t actually see all of those things. He’s a little taller, but he’s got short arms. His overall size is just slightly bigger than Garland. Small sample size, but Garland out rebounded White. Even if it’s not legit, White isn’t some great rebounder, he averaged 3.5 per game as a freshman. Maybe he’s a better defender, but neither are being drafted for their defense.

Both are scoring guards. Garland is significantly better as a shooter/scorer off the dribble. I wouldn’t sacrifice that for slightly better defense and rebounding.
The only skill Garland has that is better than White is off the dribble scoring. He's particularly effective in the pick & roll. The threat of his pull up is enough for defenses to already trap him or hedge him when guarding it. Garland is not a facilitator though, no matter what he claims. He's also not a guy that finishes drives to the rim well. He has a poor left hand doesn't keep his dribble when attacks which often leads to bad shots. We tend to get down on White for his poor measurements, but Garland is in the same boat, maybe worse because he's much smaller. It's a safe bet that he'll struggle defensively - at least to start his career.

I think the only way Garland makes sense for this team is if we are going to be running a lot of sets in the half court with Booker as the primary ball handler. White makes sense if we're going to push the pace. This is basically our chance to get our version of De'Aaron Fox. That's the kind of coast to coast speed he has. I know you guys want a PG that can consistently get Ayton the ball. My only counter to that is North Carolina didn't play that way so we don't know that Coby can't get the ball to our big fella.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am
carey wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 am
Huh?
The logic here makes sense to me. They are hoping a team outside the top 7 trades up for Garland. If no one offers anything satisfactory then they will take Coby White because they will not be taking another Klutch Sports client right now - and I don't blame them.
That makes sense...feel like Deandre Hunter might make more sense though.
I’m not confused why they would take White over Garland but mainly why they would take White at all. They have Jrue and Lonzo now, they have no need for a combo guard. Wouldn’t Culver make more sense here?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am
carey wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 am
Huh?
The logic here makes sense to me. They are hoping a team outside the top 7 trades up for Garland. If no one offers anything satisfactory then they will take Coby White because they will not be taking another Klutch Sports client right now - and I don't blame them.
That makes sense...feel like Deandre Hunter might make more sense though.
I’m not confused why they would take White over Garland but mainly why they would take White at all. They have Jrue and Lonzo now, they have no need for a combo guard. Wouldn’t Culver make more sense here?
I think off ball shooters make the most sense for them. Jrue, Lonzo, Ingram, Zion all can play with the ball in their hands. Coby White does shoot very well in spot up situations, so he does make some sense there. Garland likes the ball and only makes sense if they’re trading Jrue, which they aren’t. Hunter would be good and adds another defender to a totally stacked defensive team.

Still, trading the pick for some C help and/or shooter would also seem to be pretty smart. Cam Johnson could be a trade down target for them that makes sense.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1141017557916377088

Could the Pels really end up with Zion and RJ?? :shock:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Now I wish we had 4...maybe just maybe whoever Atlanta is after will be there at 6 and we can still make this trade

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder who Atlanta is trying to trade up for. Presumably somebody projected to go in the 3-4 range. Barrett? Garland? Culver?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wouldn’t be Garland as they have Trae. I’d guess Culver

Split T

Post by Split T »

So when do we start the 2020 Draft thread, haha. Is that when we get our pg?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 am
So when do we start the 2020 Draft thread, haha. Is that when we get our pg?
We really need to, haha. Tons of great PGs projected to be there. Even some other outstanding choices too. We may..just may have our future PG already inked if they develop him nicely in Jalen Lecque. Time will tell.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, I'm hoping Lecque turns out to be special. It would change June 20, 2019 significantly.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.