2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:48 am
Yea, as of right now Clarke seems to be a lower 1st round pick. He may rise as the draft gets closer. I always say take the guy you want regardless of draft position but if we were to get Memphis' pick at 7 or 8, I may try and flip that to Brooklyn for their 16th and 27th or even 16th and 31st, take Clarke at 16 (assuming he's there), then do whatever with the later pick. BPA or even sell it for cash. Boston also has multiple 1sts so maybe we can grab 14 and 22 from them for the Memphis pick.
I still like Clarke the best if we don’t land top 2. I get Marion vibes with him. The athleticism, ability to defend everyone, ugly jumpshot. I just think he’ll be a guy that doesn’t demand the ball, but does so many good things offensively and defensively.
And that's fine, but I wouldn't grab him at 3 or 4 or 5 if he's projected to go 12-20 or even later. Same with Hunter or Washington. Hunter I don't love as much as a potential starting PF but I like that kind of 6-7ish power swing. All 3 could be nice fits next to Ayton, just want to grab the right guy at the right spot.
I think Clarke has risen. He’s in the lottery in ESPN’s latest mock.
I think Clarke will go in the top 10.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:32 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:48 am
Yea, as of right now Clarke seems to be a lower 1st round pick. He may rise as the draft gets closer. I always say take the guy you want regardless of draft position but if we were to get Memphis' pick at 7 or 8, I may try and flip that to Brooklyn for their 16th and 27th or even 16th and 31st, take Clarke at 16 (assuming he's there), then do whatever with the later pick. BPA or even sell it for cash. Boston also has multiple 1sts so maybe we can grab 14 and 22 from them for the Memphis pick.
I still like Clarke the best if we don’t land top 2. I get Marion vibes with him. The athleticism, ability to defend everyone, ugly jumpshot. I just think he’ll be a guy that doesn’t demand the ball, but does so many good things offensively and defensively.
And that's fine, but I wouldn't grab him at 3 or 4 or 5 if he's projected to go 12-20 or even later. Same with Hunter or Washington. Hunter I don't love as much as a potential starting PF but I like that kind of 6-7ish power swing. All 3 could be nice fits next to Ayton, just want to grab the right guy at the right spot.
I think Clarke has risen. He’s in the lottery in ESPN’s latest mock.
I think Clarke will go in the top 10.
Why wouldn’t he? Is staying in college for three years that bad for your draft status?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Age is part of it. He’s also a 6’8 pf that can’t really shoot. He played in a small conference where he likely padded his stats(although he did show up and play well against big schools, so I don’t think this argument would really hold much water) So he’s a 23 year old that projects as a role player...at least in the sense that he’s not a traditional star prospect.

At least I imagine that’s what teams might be saying. I think he’s fantastic and it’s likely a few years from now we’ll look back and wonder why he didn’t go 3rd.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Brandon Clarke declared

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

No surprise there. I'd be thrilled if the Suns drafted him.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's my pick if the Suns don't get 1 or 2.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wow, I completely missed this news:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... er-brother

Jontay Porter re-tore his ACL in March.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:13 pm
Wow, I completely missed this news:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... er-brother

Jontay Porter re-tore his ACL in March.
I was wondering if you did. It sure puts a damper on his value.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think he is going to declare. He'll probably continue to rehab on Missouri's dime.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:14 pm
What’s the highest you would take him?

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

No Brandon Clarke with our pick. He's barely top 10. SF sized. Already 23. So-so rebounder. FT% is below average. Not a 3 point shooter. All giant red flags on a good day, and certainly not worth the 4-7th pick. Really not much here that Holmes doesn't already give us. Not a great fit, either (we desperately need shooters for spacing)

He reminds me of Stephan Lasme very strongly, and that's not a good thing. Same build, same penchant for blocks, same age issues, etc...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... est01.html

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 am
No Brandon Clarke with our pick. He's barely top 10. SF sized. Already 23. So-so rebounder. FT% is below average. Not a 3 point shooter. All giant red flags on a good day, and certainly not worth the 4-7th pick. Really not much here that Holmes doesn't already give us. Not a great fit, either (we desperately need shooters for spacing)

He reminds me of Stephan Lasme very strongly, and that's not a good thing. Same build, same penchant for blocks, same age issues, etc...

Wow, that's a strong and obscure comparison. It's impressive that you brought him up and compared them side to side.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Especially with likely not watching a lot of Lasme play. At least I doubt you remembered much of his 16 games in the NBA. I get the feeling you just went with other guys that were 6-8 and 215 pounds.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:06 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:14 pm
What’s the highest you would take him?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wormwood wrote:

Lasme wasn't an offensive player; Clarke is. He has scoring instincts, and is absolutely money finishing in the paint. He has a soft touch with his floater, has already demonstrated an ability to hit from the perimeter, has footwork in the post, and finishes above the rim. He also is an above average passer. You can't ignore that stuff.

There are reasonable concerns to have about him, I agree. But I don't think anyone who has actually seen Lasme and Clarke play would ever compare the two. That is a comparison made on paper, not on film.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And age will never be a deal-breaker for me. People wrung their hands about Buddy Hield's age; now that just looks silly.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

He was bad this year, but I could see Nassir Little being a really good pro. But he needs A LOT of work.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 am
Wormwood wrote:

Lasme wasn't an offensive player; Clarke is. He has scoring instincts, and is absolutely money finishing in the paint. He has a soft touch with his floater, has already demonstrated an ability to hit from the perimeter, has footwork in the post, and finishes above the rim. He also is an above average passer. You can't ignore that stuff.

There are reasonable concerns to have about him, I agree. But I don't think anyone who has actually seen Lasme and Clarke play would ever compare the two. That is a comparison made on paper, not on film.
You're being pretty kind, imo. They don't project even on paper to be even close to the same type of player. It's like thinking RHJ was going to be the next MJ.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

You're being pretty kind, imo. They don't project even on paper to be even close to the same type of player. It's like thinking RHJ was going to be the next MJ.
Didn't we learn from Jazz Twitter that it will be Mitchell as the next MJ. :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

Didn't we learn from Jazz Twitter that it will be Mitchell as the next MJ. :lol:
What happened to him? He did look pretty special his rookie year. Did defenses just learn how to play him? It has to be more than that.
"Be Legendary."