2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Superbone »

One of Melton or Okobo is probably gone next year after we pick up a starting PG.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:08 pm
Do we even have scouting anymore?
FTFY

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:20 pm
I think there’s almost a zero chance we take Zagars. The one slight chance is if we decide we don’t want to add another player with our 2nd round pick, can’t find a trade partner, so we just grab a euro we can stash.

As Inf said, Jones is all about getting better now. He’s not going to be into drafting projects. I think it’s highly likely he try's to trade our picks or at least find nba ready players. And we probably already have too many pg projects on the roster...assuming we add a new starting pg to the roster this summer.
I think you're right, that's why I suggested a draft and stash option. I kind of doubt that both Melton and Okobo will be back next year, and they opt to have at least 2 vet pg options. I just think it will be a mistake to pass on him if you have the chance to take him with that 2nd round pick or move up a little into the late 1st round.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:58 pm
One of Melton or Okobo is probably gone next year after we pick up a starting PG.
That would be unnecessary. Unless one of them is a sweetener in a deal for someone like Mike Conley, I don't think the Suns need to get rid of one of them. Okobo is under contract for three more years, whereas Melton only has one year left. You can defer minutes to Melton, and continue to develop Okobo in practice and in the G-League.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:58 pm
That would be unnecessary. Unless one of them is a sweetener in a deal for someone like Mike Conley, I don't think the Suns need to get rid of one of them. Okobo is under contract for three more years, whereas Melton only has one year left. You can defer minutes to Melton, and continue to develop Okobo in practice and in the G-League.
One of Melton or Okobo is probably irrelevant next year after we pick up a starting PG.

Better?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Only if we're going to make decisions strictly for the 2019-20 season.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just don't think we'd want to carry 4 PGs including Johnson.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

trade booker for cj. then draft in this order: 1 zion, 2 rj, 3 morant.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

How do you delete someone else’s comment?

Indy

Post by Indy »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 am
easier just to mute.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:50 pm
I just don't think we'd want to carry 4 PGs including Johnson.
We've got 17 roster spots and I don't think it hurts Okobo to play in the g-league. He wasn't ready this year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

SDC

Post by SDC »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 am
arent you tired of losing!?!?%%
Last edited by SDC on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Does anyone think Zion and Ayton could coexist? Zion needs a clear lane which Ayton would clog.
Ayton could become expendable and help nab a star player (like Kemba).

SDC

Post by SDC »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm
Does anyone think Zion and Ayton could coexist? Zion needs a clear lane which Ayton would clog.
aytons a good shooter

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
aytons a good shooter
He is outstanding at the basket (one of the best in the league) and he looks to have a great form/soft shot, but...

He shot below 40% from mid-range. Of the 13 centers in the league that took a lot of them (>150) he was tied for 11/12th.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Drewsprocket wrote:
I think they’re a potentially dominant combination. Any opponent is going to give at least one of them a mismatch, and the other has enough skills and mobility to play off of him. Of course, I’m assuming they both develop well. They’re still very young.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Listening to ringer podcast...they talked a lot about lillard vs Westbrook..compared it to Morant vs Garland with Morant following the Westbrook prototype and Garland the Lillard prototype.

I wouldn’t pick Garland over Morant...but I think there’s an argument for Garland being a better fit in the modern nba. Garland has a ton of questions, but he can shoot really really well. That’s Morant’s biggest offensive weakness.

I don’t see us doing it, but Garland if we don’t land in the top 2 could be a decent option.

As for Morant vs Garland...while I’d take lillard over Westbrook...Morant has shown he’s much closer to Westbrook than Garland is to lillard. Also, by all accounts, Morant does not have the same issues as Westbrook. Like attitude, poor shot selection, difficulty to play with. Westbrook could be a fantastic player if you could get him to play a different way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:51 pm
Listening to ringer podcast...they talked a lot about lillard vs Westbrook..compared it to Morant vs Garland with Morant following the Westbrook prototype and Garland the Lillard prototype.

I wouldn’t pick Garland over Morant...but I think there’s an argument for Garland being a better fit in the modern nba. Garland has a ton of questions, but he can shoot really really well. That’s Morant’s biggest offensive weakness.

I don’t see us doing it, but Garland if we don’t land in the top 2 could be a decent option.

As for Morant vs Garland...while I’d take lillard over Westbrook...Morant has shown he’s much closer to Westbrook than Garland is to lillard. Also, by all accounts, Morant does not have the same issues as Westbrook. Like attitude, poor shot selection, difficulty to play with. Westbrook could be a fantastic player if you could get him to play a different way.
This is a tough one. I don't think either will be as good as Lillard or Westbrook, nor are they an exact match for them either, but I get the comparisons. I honestly would be tempted to get cute and trade down picking up assets while picking Garland.

I may have said this before, but depending on how the lottery plays out, I could even be talked into trading the #1 pick, if there was and almost guarantee in back channels that the Suns were going to come out of FA with a premium star signing. If the FA was a legitimate difference making star, you may only want 3 legit stars and then fill out the rest of the lineup with great near stars and/or perfect role players that fill holes left by the stars. Along with filling out the bench, this might offer the best way to maximize and balance the roster while giving the best chemistry to the roster as a whole. Does this make sense?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t trade 1...I’d draft Zion and trade Ayton before trading 1.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I love Zion, but I have legitimate questions about his game and how it translates and if it could evolve. He's not the passer or ball handler that LeBrin was, but he's still very good. His strengths are incredible, but is he going to be freaky durable like LeBron and Vince Carter or more like Blake and Larry Johnson?