2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:00 pm
I like Zion a lot, but my biggest concern is how his game is going to translate to the NBA. Is he really going to be able to get all those dunks on NBA defenses and players? I wish I could watch him play a game where he needs to hit jumpshots, or create for himself at the end of the shot clock, or bang in the post against a bigger player so he has to utilize footwork.

I like Zion a lot, but I'm not 100% sold on him. I'll be glad if we take him, but I'll definitely have FOMO with Morant.
Are you just watching highlights? Zion has some pretty advanced ball handling skills. He’s very quick and is going to be a nightmare to defend in transition and as a face up 4. I’m not worried in the slightest how he translates to the nba. He’ll immediately be one of the most freakish athletes in the entire league, so yes he’ll still get all those dunks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He looks just completely physically overpowering. Like a PF version of Shaq, or a neo Shawn Kemp, or something. Not saying they have the same play styles, just that you don't often see a player that physically strong compared to his opponents.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Right, and he’s bigger than 95% of nba players already, so he’ll still have that advantage in the nba. Admittedly, not as much, but Zion is the best prospect I’ve seen.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Zion Williamson is a really athletic version of Julius Randle to me, he'll bully his way to his points, get boards, pass etc. I don't think he's a go to player of any sorts like a Barkley, and I worry about his actual defending skills, sure in college he can cheat because of his athleticism, but that will get taken advantage of in the NBA. I think him and Ayton would get eaten alive on the defensive end.

Having said that, I think him and Barrett are 1A and 1B as far as prospects go, after that, I have little interest in any of the other prospects.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:57 pm
Zion Williamson is a really athletic version of Julius Randle to me, he'll bully his way to his points, get boards, pass etc. I don't think he's a go to player of any sorts like a Barkley, and I worry about his actual defending skills, sure in college he can cheat because of his athleticism, but that will get taken advantage of in the NBA. I think him and Ayton would get eaten alive on the defensive end.

Having said that, I think him and Barrett are 1A and 1B as far as prospects go, after that, I have little interest in any of the other prospects.
Zion is a good defender both inside and on the perimeter. He moves his feet super well. He gambles, but can lock people down is good at anticipating and playing off the ball, in position, rotations and in space.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:33 pm
Right now, if we got the #3 pick in the lottery and Zion and Morant have already been taken at #1 and #2, who would you want the Suns to pick as #3?
Trade down, pick up another asset.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Zion Williamson is a really athletic version of Julius Randle to me
Nailed it.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:51 pm
Zion Williamson is a really athletic version of Julius Randle to me
Nailed it.
Sounds like college Blake Griffin.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:50 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Right now, if we got the #3 pick in the lottery and Zion and Morant have already been taken at #1 and #2, who would you want the Suns to pick as #3?
In such case the pick loses value after the lottery. But the top two are probably worth the gamble.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ESPN has a new mock draft, more interesting was the write up on a few prospects afterwards. I didn’t realize PJ Washington has improved so much as a shooter. He doesn’t take a lot of 3’s, but he is shooting 43% and his free throw % has jumped 9 percentage points up to 70%. He’d be an interesting pf next to Ayton if he can shoot.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Split T wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:48 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:00 pm
I like Zion a lot, but my biggest concern is how his game is going to translate to the NBA. Is he really going to be able to get all those dunks on NBA defenses and players? I wish I could watch him play a game where he needs to hit jumpshots, or create for himself at the end of the shot clock, or bang in the post against a bigger player so he has to utilize footwork.

I like Zion a lot, but I'm not 100% sold on him. I'll be glad if we take him, but I'll definitely have FOMO with Morant.
Are you just watching highlights? Zion has some pretty advanced ball handling skills. He’s very quick and is going to be a nightmare to defend in transition and as a face up 4. I’m not worried in the slightest how he translates to the nba. He’ll immediately be one of the most freakish athletes in the entire league, so yes he’ll still get all those dunks.
he has oliver miller's soft hands.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
lol, if rj barrett is there, take him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My guess is that this draft goes the way every draft goes. Too many months ahead of the draft, people hype up the top 1-2 guys and say that the rest of the draft class stinks after that. As the draft approaches and people start really learning about the players coming out, everybody gets super excited and says there may be 10 hall of famers in this class, we argue about guys in the 4-7 range, etc. There's a fever pitch of excitement leading into draft day. Then we draft whomever and a lot of the guys are disappointing rookies as usual.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm
My guess is that this draft goes the way every draft goes. Too many months ahead of the draft, people hype up the top 1-2 guys and say that the rest of the draft class stinks after that. As the draft approaches and people start really learning about the players coming out, everybody gets super excited and says there may be 10 hall of famers in this class, we argue about guys in the 4-7 range, etc. There's a fever pitch of excitement leading into draft day. Then we draft whomever and a lot of the guys are disappointing rookies as usual.
I guess we'll see. I thought long before we talked about the 2018 draft that it was going to be outstanding. Zion is fantastic, but there are a lot of question marks on the rest of the guys. There could be a few that turn out to be fantastic pros, but it's not close imo to 2018.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm
When has this actually ever happened? I feel like the overall consensus of drafts has been fairly accurate.

2013 - Top prospect had major injury concerns, no clear #1, was seen as a pretty underwhelming draft. Turns out it was. A couple late steals of foreign players(Giannis and Gobert) save the draft from being terrible.

2014 - This was supposed to be a big time draft with 4 or 5 guys worthy of going #1 and being franchise guys. (Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Gordon, Exum) Excitement lowered a bit as some of the big time players had so-so freshman seasons. Although Embiid was a fast riser. Draft ended up being a little disappointing as only one franchise guy seems to have come out of it.

2015 - Was kinda seen as a weak draft. KAT vs Okafor was good at the top, but not a lot of depth. Draft ended up being better than expected as DAR, KP, Turner, and Booker were pleasant surprises.

2016 - Pretty widely considered a 2 person draft. Simmons and Ingram and then a huge drop off. Turns out that’s pretty much exactly what it was. A couple guys proved to be on the Ingram level(Murray, Hield, Brown, Sabonis) but overall it’s pretty underwhelming, just as expected.

2017 - Was seen as a big time draft with lots of depth. Not necessarily elite franchise talents, but lots of solid talent. Feels like it’s living up to its billing, even with some shaky play in the top 4. Guys like Fox, Markkanen, Mitchell, Collins, Tatum, etc. are showing the draft has depth.

2018 - Billed as another big time draft, maybe not as much depth, but more franchise changing pieces. So far it also seems to be living up to its billing. Doncic, Ayton, JJJ, Bagley and Trae went in the top 5 and look like your all-rookie team. Bridges, Knox, Carter, SGA all look like real solid picks as well.

2019 - Looks like Zion and then some so so prospects. Feels a little like 2016 with Zion taking the Simmons role. There will be a few good players to come out of this draft, but it looks weak at the top, outside of Zion. That 4-10 range doesn’t look any better than the 10-20 range.

So outside of 2014 and 2015, I feel like the overall consensus of the drafts seemed to be pretty accurate. So maybe this one surprises like 2015, but right now I’m expecting more 2016. If we don’t land 1, hopefully we take the Murray or Hield and not the Bender again.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

gosuns wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:02 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
In such case the pick loses value after the lottery. But the top two are probably worth the gamble.
It's not a gamble. The NBA gives you draft picks. They are low cost and you don't have to give any of your good players away.

In terms of this draft, I think the value is in the mid-to-late first round. I'm not high on hardly any of the lottery picks outside of Zion (and maybe Charles Bassey), especially for this team, but guys like Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield, Grant Williams, are very promising.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:05 pm
gosuns wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:02 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
It's not a gamble. The NBA gives you draft picks. They are low cost and you don't have to give any of your good players away.

In terms of this draft, I think the value is in the mid-to-late first round. I'm not high on hardly any of the lottery picks outside of Zion (and maybe Charles Bassey), especially for this team, but guys like Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield, Grant Williams, are very promising.
God we need someone like you in the front office. Send Sarver your resume please.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Zion blowsout shoe on first play of the game, injured his knee on the fall. Nike stock take a dive tomorrow?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Zion blowsout shoe on first play of the game, injured his knee on the fall. Nike stock take a dive tomorrow?
I always feel bad for these kids and it's a big reason why I've increasingly withdrawn from college sports over recent years.

The Nike stock? I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wow. Just watched the video myself In2ition. Never seen a shoe blow out like that. Could be a costly knee injury. Yikes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton