2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by specialsauce »

This entire thread is pointless, I’m going to be honest. We’re not keeping our draft pick this year. James Jones made that very clear.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm
This entire thread is pointless, I’m going to be honest. We’re not keeping our draft pick this year. James Jones made that very clear.
He better keep it if we can get Zion! That’s all I have to say about that.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I get the feeling that’s the plan right now, if they get the #1 pick, then most likely they’ll keep it and take Zion. If they don’t, then they will probably trade it. Not saying that is the right or wrong plan but just what I think will happen.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'm all in on Morant and Zion. Nobody else really does anything for me.

I love Bol but he's got his father's build and I just don't see that being able to hold up in today's league. He needs to stay in school another year.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm all for moving this year's pick in a package for the right trade. I don't recall Jones saying definitively that they are trading the pick though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well he’s not going to say that definitively. He did say that adding college players to your team does not help you win games. He also said we’re shifting our focus away from the draft.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 am
Well he’s not going to say that definitively. He did say that adding college players to your team does not help you win games. He also said we’re shifting our focus away from the draft.
Yes, I heard that, but that hardly makes this thread pointless.

I actually hope that the Suns trade the pick, at least in a good trade that improves the team. I hope the Suns get the #1 pick, just so it has that much more value in a trade.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 am
Yes, I heard that, but that hardly makes this thread pointless.

I actually hope that the Suns trade the pick, at least in a good trade that improves the team. I hope the Suns get the #1 pick, just so it has that much more value in a trade.
Gotcha, ya I agree. Thread isn’t pointless. I think there is a decent chance we trade the pick, but if a trade isn’t there, we’ll still have to make the pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really don't like that quote from James Jones about how they are not focusing on the draft and how this team won't be helped by college players. I hope that's taken out of context or somehow doesn't really represent their thinking. Because if he/they actually think that, that is an absolutely stupid way to approach building and managing an NBA team. Even the greatest teams constantly watch the draft, watch college and overseas, to find new blood and new young talent to improve and reinvigorate their roster. The Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, etc., are always finding young guys and building them up into important roles.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Spurs do, I wouldn’t really say the rockets and warriors do. I mean they obviously do to an extent, but warriors and rockets have built/maintained those teams through trades/FA. I realize GS drafted curry/Thompson/green, but that was back when they sucked. They have made a few draft picks(Jones, bell, McCaw) but none that really made much of an impact. At least not compared to their FA signings(Durant/Cousins) or trades(Iggy)

I’ll look up the exact quote, but I don’t think we should jump to the conclusion that jones isn’t considering the draft at all. Just that he is more focused on adding players who will help us win games now. The idea is we’re not lacking in young talent, we need to develop that talent and add pieces that are ready to win now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://www.google.com/amp/arizonasport ... draft/amp/
“Yeah, we have to worry about what happens in the draft but our primary focus is on this team currently and what we can do,” he told 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Burns & Gambo on Wednesday. “We have a bunch of young players in this draft. We’ve been deep in the draft, we’ve drafted a lot of players over the years and our focus has shifted more to development of these players and looking at NBA players that we possibly can add to this team.”
“We shifted focus,” Jones said. “I think in the past our primary focus — a great amount of our time was spent turning over every stone as it relates to players and college players, but college players don’t win NBA games. NBA players do, so that’s where our focus is now.”

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:20 pm
I really don't like that quote from James Jones about how they are not focusing on the draft and how this team won't be helped by college players. I hope that's taken out of context or somehow doesn't really represent their thinking. Because if he/they actually think that, that is an absolutely stupid way to approach building and managing an NBA team.
Isn't that how Sarver was talking before McDonough? And then McDonough came in and focused on the draft. So now this talk from Jones probably reflects Sarver's thinking. He probably thinks he was justified and that McD's way didn't work out.

It's kind of hard for them to focus on the draft at all this year since Sarver fired all of their scouts and didn't replace them.
Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/d ... on-clarke/

A good read on Brandon Clarke, from someone who is super high on him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Thanks for the article Split. I hope Clarke can be that good, but I can't help but think he is more likely to be Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Part Deux.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I worry about the shot. I’m not as high on Clarke as this guy, but I do think Clarke has a few things in his favor that will make his lack of shooting less of an issue than it is for MKG.

1. Clarke is longer... 6’8 with a 7’0 wingspan.
2. Clark is a better vertical athlete.

MKG was a 3 that has had to shift to the 4 because he can’t shoot. Clarke is a 4 and is better equipped to defend the rim and finish at the rim. He doesn’t space the floor for Ayton though and while Ayton has shown some ability to step out and shoot, we don’t want to try and turn him into Brook Lopez

Split T

Post by Split T »

Talks about how Ja probably won’t be good as a rookie. I think that will keep James Jones from drafting him if we keep our pick.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if suns get #2. rj barrett. who ever the next gm is gonna be, no need to get an expensive star pg, just a competent one.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Who are you getting that is better than Zion?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Louis King looks like he has all the makings of a tremendous prospect. Great size, skilled, fluid; I wonder how resident-Bol-Bol-hater Flagrant Fowl feels about him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:52 am
In2ition wrote:
Who are you getting that is better than Zion?
AD is my target, but if they don't bite, I love what Zion brings to this team.