2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 am
Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am
Who says no in a Westbrook for Wall trade? Just awful awful contracts...I guess OKC does because Westbrook is at least healthy.
OKC for sure. Westbrook is their guy, he's been an MVP for them and averaged a triple-double for three seasons (!). He's the face of their franchise, he plays his ass off, he likes to be there. It's his team. Why in heaven's name would they trade him for a totally busted player who may never be the same again, and honestly may not have even been as good as Westbrook before the injury?
I never said they would, I agree OKC wouldn’t, but that Westbrook contract is still ugly. I don’t really see a path for them that goes anywhere beyond a first round exit. They are paying 100 million for 3 guys.

How many teams would trade for Westbrook? I think that number is very low.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:53 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 am
Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am
Who says no in a Westbrook for Wall trade? Just awful awful contracts...I guess OKC does because Westbrook is at least healthy.
OKC for sure. Westbrook is their guy, he's been an MVP for them and averaged a triple-double for three seasons (!). He's the face of their franchise, he plays his ass off, he likes to be there. It's his team. Why in heaven's name would they trade him for a totally busted player who may never be the same again, and honestly may not have even been as good as Westbrook before the injury?
I never said they would, I agree OKC wouldn’t, but that Westbrook contract is still ugly. I don’t really see a path for them that goes anywhere beyond a first round exit. They are paying 100 million for 3 guys.

How many teams would trade for Westbrook? I think that number is very low.
Westbrook, Durant, and Harden, right?

lolol

Remember when they traded Harden to make cap space for Ibaka? And remember when they were considered a model franchise for building through the draft and managing the cap? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Everyone thought OKC would dominate for years with that young core...lots of bad decisions starting with that harden trade

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Suns did the same when they panicked on how they were going to pay Marion.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote: For sure, there will be somebody outside the top 2 that turns into a special player...I do not expect our staff to find them though, haha.
Kind of impossible when you're not even looking.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 am
Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm
I doubt anyone told Gambo that we’re trading the pick if it’s not top 2, but I can see it being simply that if we can’t get Zion or Ja, we’ll explore what else is available via trade. Doesn’t mean we will trade, just that we’ll pursue it. Honestly I’m ok with that. There’s some decent prospects that can help us, but I’m not sure there are special players in that 3-6 range.
Almost every draft has something special among the top15 (besides the consensus #1, if applicable). It's a matter of having the eye to spot it. But I get what you say. If it's not Zion or Ja, your duty is to find out what you can get for the pick (although I'd consider a trade even if we landed #2).

Again, if teams don't put Zion, Tatum or Siakam on the table for Anthony Davis, I believe we have a very real shot at him. Perhaps improved with the new HC and maybe even with the new GM, provided we are not adamant on a promise, in the mold of the risk the Raps and OKC took with Kawhi and PG13.
For sure, there will be somebody outside the top 2 that turns into a special player...I do not expect our staff to find then though, haha.

As for AD. We are kind of a dark horse. Monty and Bower both have been involved with his young career, they may feel like they can get him to stay. Boston and LA situations don’t seem as promising and their offers aren’t as appealing as before. What would our offer be?
david griffin will make sure that doesnt happen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think David griffin would refuse to trade with us. He’s smart, he’ll take the best deal he can get

SDC

Post by SDC »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:36 pm
I don’t think David griffin would refuse to trade with us. He’s smart, he’ll take the best deal he can get
the suns arent giving away ayton, and he's not committing to stay with the suns.

lol, i remember the time when mcdo refused to even give up a first round pick for a pau gasol rental. i am sure he is regretting that by now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:28 am
Yea he needs to exercise his option to be included. But Tyler, TJ and JJ/Bridges for Westbrook works. I just don't love Westbrook and Booker together for some reason.
WEST-BOOK! Backcourt 2020!

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Anyone complaining about the possibility of snagging Ja...you're a tool. That kid has solid court vision/awareness. He would be an awesome combo with Booker and Ayton! Do it!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is anyone complaining about that?

Vladimir_Taltos

Del
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Sat May 11, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vladimir_Taltos

Starting 5..

Ja
Booker
Oubre
Ayton
PF? We need a vet strong defensive PF we can steal...thoughts?

Vladimir_Taltos

Split T wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 pm
Is anyone complaining about that?
I hope not...we need Ja and an improvement on D...that and improved coaching...going to be scary...only worry is we do something stupid to get the vet help...

SDC

Post by SDC »

to be honest, i really have no idea if morant is really that good. havent seen much of his play. all i know is that rj barrett looks like a wing version of dwade, and if the suns do draft him (barrett), they'll have to get rid of booker first (for mccollum?)
Last edited by SDC on Sun May 12, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 pm
to be honest, i really have no idea if morant is really that good. havent seen much of his play. all i know is that rj barrett looks like a wing version of dwade, and if the suns do draft him, they'll have to get rid of booker first (for mccollum?)
Man, really? This is a bad take, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Vladimir_Taltos

In2ition wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:40 pm
SDC wrote:
to be honest, i really have no idea if morant is really that good. havent seen much of his play. all i know is that rj barrett looks like a wing version of dwade, and if the suns do draft him, they'll have to get rid of booker first (for mccollum?)
Agreed...he's smoking something...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:40 pm
SDC wrote:
He's had a hard on for putting down Booker for a while now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I did have a dream last night that RJ turned out really good

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really hope we end up with #2 and take Morant. I am not letting myself hope for #1/Zion, but #2/Morant would be a huge upgrade for us and get us set up at PG for the next decade. Then we could address PF and backup PG through free agency. That's a young team I can get behind.