2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:52 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Assuming the Suns land #1.

Going after Conley or Jrue are kind of obvious, but matching salaries and giving up an asset like Zion complicates things.

Zion, TJx2 for Bradley Beal, WAS 2019 lottery pick and a future protected 1st?

Zion and TJ Warren for Montrezl Harrell, SGA and LAC 2019 1st round pick?

Zion, Tyler Johnson for Aaron Gordon and some kind of future pick swap in the Suns favor?

Just a few ideas..
Ya I’m not doing any of those...give me Zion
None of those are close for me.
Not even close
Yeah, I think Zion's value around the league is higher than all of this. I think you need to aim really high with that #1 pick. It's got to be someone like AD coming back in the trade. I love Zion, but I think Morant could be everything for us. If we got the #1 pick and there was an opportunity to trade for #2 and pick up something really good, I might not necessarily be opposed.
Would you trade #1 for #2 and Mitchell Robinson? Then trade #2 for for a lower pick and something else?

Or #1 for John Collins and both of Atl's picks, wherever they land?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:45 am
I have already pre-lowered my expectations to assume that all of the following will happen:

* our pick will be #4 or later
* we'll trade the pick for a mediocre PG or PF
* we'll hire some coaching newbie who doesn't know what he's doing, and we'll pay him $750k/yr
* we'll resign our guys to stupidly large contracts and blow our cap space without getting better
You "lowered" your expectations by preparing for the most likely outcome.

* Odds of being >=4 is 59.8%
* Jones said that focusing on the draft is not where we need to be and we will be happy to trade young assets for 25-30 year old players
* We have only hear the names of inexperienced head coaches
* This is what we do typically, and Oubre seems to be coming back, so we will (as usual) outbid ourselves.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if all of that happens because it seems to have the highest probability of happening.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 am
I would not be excited about a Rozier signing or trade for an equally talented PF(I don't think Rozier is all that good, and an equally talented PF would be a disappointment too if that's the case).
Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 am
Ya I won’t be excited if Rozier is our pg.. He has fared much better as a starter than as a reserve, but I’d prefer to look elsewhere. I’m not against just signing Collison to a 1 year deal and then continue looking. Gives okobo and Melton another year of development time to see if they will pan out as well.
To be clear, I am not advocating for it. I think that will be a huge mistake on both cases. But I just pray that someday Sarver can do the "Bluth" thing and realize he made a huge mistake... then hopefully, unlike a Bluth, he won't immediately do it again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I have already pre-lowered my expectations to assume that all of the following will happen:

* we'll hire some coaching newbie who doesn't know what he's doing, and we'll pay him $750k/yr
* we'll resign our guys to stupidly large contracts and blow our cap space without getting better
I’m probably a sucker, but I’m gonna give this new front office the benefit of the doubt. Obviously we have no control over where we pick, so I have zero expectations there. We might trade the pick, that wouldn’t surprise me either. As for coaching, I actually think we’re gonna get Monty. And I think we’ll get Oubre on a good deal. Somewhere in the 12-15 million a year range.
I’m with you, Split. Everybody knows I’m the eternal optimist. I like what Jones has done so far in clearing out the veteran dead weight and bringing in a few useful and younger (other than Crawford) pieces. Hoping for the best.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:52 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

You "lowered" your expectations by preparing for the most likely outcome.

* Odds of being >=4 is 59.8%
* Jones said that focusing on the draft is not where we need to be and we will be happy to trade young assets for 25-30 year old players
* We have only hear the names of inexperienced head coaches
* This is what we do typically, and Oubre seems to be coming back, so we will (as usual) outbid ourselves.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if all of that happens because it seems to have the highest probability of happening.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:51 pm
Listening to ringer podcast...they talked a lot about lillard vs Westbrook..compared it to Morant vs Garland with Morant following the Westbrook prototype and Garland the Lillard prototype.

I wouldn’t pick Garland over Morant...but I think there’s an argument for Garland being a better fit in the modern nba. Garland has a ton of questions, but he can shoot really really well. That’s Morant’s biggest offensive weakness.

I don’t see us doing it, but Garland if we don’t land in the top 2 could be a decent option.

As for Morant vs Garland...while I’d take lillard over Westbrook...Morant has shown he’s much closer to Westbrook than Garland is to lillard. Also, by all accounts, Morant does not have the same issues as Westbrook. Like attitude, poor shot selection, difficulty to play with. Westbrook could be a fantastic player if you could get him to play a different way.
I just don't buy the Westbrook comp. Morant seems a lot less physical and a lot more creative with the passing.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Listening to ringer podcast...they talked a lot about lillard vs Westbrook..compared it to Morant vs Garland with Morant following the Westbrook prototype and Garland the Lillard prototype.

I wouldn’t pick Garland over Morant...but I think there’s an argument for Garland being a better fit in the modern nba. Garland has a ton of questions, but he can shoot really really well. That’s Morant’s biggest offensive weakness.

I don’t see us doing it, but Garland if we don’t land in the top 2 could be a decent option.

As for Morant vs Garland...while I’d take lillard over Westbrook...Morant has shown he’s much closer to Westbrook than Garland is to lillard. Also, by all accounts, Morant does not have the same issues as Westbrook. Like attitude, poor shot selection, difficulty to play with. Westbrook could be a fantastic player if you could get him to play a different way.
I just don't buy the Westbrook comp. Morant seems a lot less physical and a lot more creative with the passing pass.
Yeah, it's the athleticism he displays without taking into account for the strength that Westbrook has. And you're right, I think Morant is more creative with his passes.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We've heard a couple of times that you can't win with teanagers. So I'm not hopeful that we will get Morant. If the pick is 2 or 3, it seems most likely that we trade it. But if we fall and the pick isn't that valuable, maybe we grab Clarke who is not a teenager and can contribute right away similar to how Bridges was able to step in and contribute from the get-go. That's my only real hope in this draft.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm
Split T wrote:

I just don't buy the Westbrook comp. Morant seems a lot less physical and a lot more creative with the passing.
I think it’s more about style. Morant is a downhill, attack the rim pg with great athleticism and a shaky jumper...all are true about Westbrook as well. Lillard is a shooter..can hit from anywhere inside 40 feet.

There’s obviously more to all of their games...but it’s the broad grouping into shooters and drivers. Morant/Westbrook are drivers...Garland/Lillard are shooters

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think Morant is a driver like Westbrook. Time will tell when he gets in the league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i worry rj barrett 67 may be the next markelle fultz 65, or the next lonzo ball 67 or the next justise winslow 64, shooting wise.

rj singlehandedly defeated the US u19 team in 2017, but morant is probably the safer choice.

stats dont lie.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ok, I have a bit of a mea culpa on Morant. Before, I thought that Tyler Johnson would start ahead of him if he was picked, but I take that back. I took a lot more time watching his game recently. He will immediately be a starter and do really well. I underestimated his PnR and passing capabilities. They are fantastic. He will be a star in this league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I could easily be convinced to trade away the #1 pick if I could get back Ja, Clarke and another high level asset.

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:27 pm
Ok, I have a bit of a mea culpa on Morant. Before, I thought that Tyler Johnson would start ahead of him if he was picked, but I take that back. I took a lot more time watching his game recently. He will immediately be a starter and do really well. I underestimated his PnR and passing capabilities. They are fantastic. He will be a star in this league.
if he starts, he will be playing mostly off ball to booker.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
No.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

he could be the next donovan mitchell

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
What?!? Why would you say that?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 pm
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
No.
no, because he wont be starting, unless tj is out or until suns start tanking again midseason.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This was good and talks about the type of offense and decision making Ja does. It makes it easy to see how well he will translate immediately into the NBA and why you want the ball in his hands and help Booker as he's off ball.

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:09 pm
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
What?!? Why would you say that?

he will need to earn bookers trust first and it is hard for me to see him being given carte blanche to control the offense on his rookie year while the team is striving to make the playoffs next season.