2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by jonh »

Cap wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:59 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:38 am
I'm sure by the time the draft rolls around we'll have fallen in love with 4-5 various players and will want to use the pick to draft somebody.
We might talk ourselves into someone...if we don’t land top 2, but I doubt people will be falling in love with prospects outside of a very small few.
I don’t remember the board really falling in love with anyone the last couple of times we had #4.
I was really excited about Jackson. Thought that was a no-brainer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'm sure by the time the draft rolls around we'll have fallen in love with 4-5 various players and will want to use the pick to draft somebody.
We might talk ourselves into someone...if we don’t land top 2, but I doubt people will be falling in love with prospects outside of a very small few.
I don’t remember the board really falling in love with anyone the last couple of times we had #4.
2017 had a lot of guys. There was no one guy, but Tatum, Jackson, Fox, and Isaac all had their supporters.

2016 is a better example...I don’t think anyone on the board was a big fan of any of our options. This draft feels more 2016 than 2017.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 am
I really love Morant. I was debating with myself earlier, "If the Suns got the #1, and the Bulls got the #2, would I trade the #1 for the #2 and Markkanen?"
I don't think Chicago would ever offer that.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:24 pm
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
2017 had a lot of guys. There was no one guy, but Tatum, Jackson, Fox, and Isaac all had their supporters.

2016 is a better example...I don’t think anyone on the board was a big fan of any of our options. This draft feels more 2016 than 2017.
I thought there were only 3 guys worth picking in 2017...Fultz, Ball, and Jackson. So I was really disappointed when we fell to number 4, and ecstatic when Jackson fell to number 4.

I would still consider trading the #2 pick for Ball. And if we pick below #2, I would definitely trade it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I thought there were only 3 guys worth picking in 2017...Fultz, Ball, and Jackson. So I was really disappointed when we fell to number 4, and ecstatic when Jackson fell to number 4.

I would still consider trading the #2 pick for Ball. And if we pick below #2, I would definitely trade it.
I would not trade 2 for Ball. I like Morant better. If we end up 3 or lower, I’d move 3 for Ball and wherever the lakers pick lands...probably like 10/11

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Holy crap. I hadn't seen Ja Morant (nor have I watched much Zion, to be honest). I just watched highlights from this past season from Morant and my GOD.

And Zion is better than this kid? Holy crap! If we can get either the 1st or 2nd pick, there's no way we could mess up.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

ouch to morant.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm
ouch to morant.
His team lost big. But he balled. Not sure what you mean? Just ouch, that Murray State is out of the tourney?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

2016 might be a good comp. People said it was a weak draft, but there are maybe 10 guys from that draft starting and another 10 making solid contributions. There are a lot of guys in this draft In would love to add to this team beyond Zion.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

SDC

Post by SDC »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:08 pm
SDC wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm
ouch to morant.
His team lost big. But he balled. Not sure what you mean? Just ouch, that Murray State is out of the tourney?
his team was down by 16 at halftime, and lost by almost 30. we wont be seeing him for the rest of the tournament.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

2016 might be a good comp. People said it was a weak draft, but there are maybe 10 guys from that draft starting and another 10 making solid contributions. There are a lot of guys in this draft In would love to add to this team beyond Zion.
That’s fair...there are quite a few guys I like as well, but most are in that late lotto/mid 1st range. The top of the draft is lacking. Someone is gonna take Reddish in the top 5 and someone might take RJ Barrett 2nd...I would not want to be either of those teams...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How about the local boy, Brandon Clarke? I think if the Suns fall where they can't get Zion or Ja, he should be their pick. Honestly, I was hoping if the Suns don't get Zion that a scenario would play out that the Suns could trade down and pick up a pg and still get Clarke. Seems unlikely now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:50 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:39 pm
If you can turn a package including the third pick in the draft into Kemba, Russell, Holiday, etc., I would trade it

On the other hand, if a team like the Hawks got the second pick and we ended up something like fourth, I wouldn’t hesitate to package the fourth and assets (Josh Jackson plus a second round pick) to move up and grab Morant.
Can't we just sign Kemba outright? Or would we not be able to have enough cap space? I guess we'd have to waive Johnson, which might be too much $ for Saver to absorb.
It isn't even close. It looks like he is going to get the max, and for him that is like 30M/season. Right now we have <5M in cap space, so we will have to rescind rights to guys like Holmes and Oubre just to be able to sign middling players. I think we can reasonably get to about 25M in space if we rescind everyone, and I guess we can stretch Tyler to get some more. But if we are looking at signing Kemba, he would have to be our only signing besides vet min deals (which means we still didn't address our huge hole at PF, and don't have any backup C anymore).

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:55 am
How about the local boy, Brandon Clarke? I think if the Suns fall where they can't get Zion or Ja, he should be their pick. Honestly, I was hoping if the Suns don't get Zion that a scenario would play out that the Suns could trade down and pick up a pg and still get Clarke. Seems unlikely now.
Yep, I love Clarke. I’ve never understood why he shows up mid to late first round in all the mocks. I guess it’s the age, but I’d still take him top 5.

Zion and Ja are the only two I for sure have ahead of him. Hunter, Culver, Clarke, Washington in my next tier.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
If you can turn a package including the third pick in the draft into Kemba, Russell, Holiday, etc., I would trade it

On the other hand, if a team like the Hawks got the second pick and we ended up something like fourth, I wouldn’t hesitate to package the fourth and assets (Josh Jackson plus a second round pick) to move up and grab Morant.
Can't we just sign Kemba outright? Or would we not be able to have enough cap space? I guess we'd have to waive Johnson, which might be too much $ for Saver to absorb.
It isn't even close. It looks like he is going to get the max, and for him that is like 30M/season. Right now we have <5M in cap space, so we will have to rescind rights to guys like Holmes and Oubre just to be able to sign middling players. I think we can reasonably get to about 25M in space if we rescind everyone, and I guess we can stretch Tyler to get some more. But if we are looking at signing Kemba, he would have to be our only signing besides vet min deals (which means we still didn't address our huge hole at PF, and don't have any backup C anymore).
If we:

- rescind Holmes
- rescind everybody else not named Oubre
- stretch Tyler Johnson
- trade our 1st-rounder

Can we get to max cap space? I'm not saying that we should do that, especially the trading the pick part. I'm just wondering if it is mathematically possible to max Kemba and then re-sign Oubre using his Bird rights. It might make sense to consider it if our pick dropped to, say, #4 or #5.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems imo that the front office has decided that going after a max player is futile at this time. They will build from within and add productive vets in free agency and difference makers through trades that make sense.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:56 pm
It seems imo that the front office has decided that going after a max player is futile at this time. They will build from within and add productive vets in free agency and difference makers through trades that make sense.
Of course, when we talk about adding productive vets, we end up with Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:56 pm
Of course, when we talk about adding productive vets, we end up with Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson.
Dear lord, let us learn from those mistakes. I meant to add productive vets on modest contracts(good value).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

If we:

- rescind Holmes
- stretch Tyler Johnson
- trade our 1st-rounder

Can we get to max cap space? I'm not saying that we should do that, especially the trading the pick part. I'm just wondering if it is mathematically possible to max Kemba and then re-sign Oubre using his Bird rights. It might make sense to consider it if our pick dropped to, say, #4 or #5.
We could get to over 30 million in space with the above scenario. Assuming we bring no salary back in trading our pick.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:30 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

If we:

- rescind Holmes
- stretch Tyler Johnson
- trade our 1st-rounder

We could get to over 30 million in space with the above scenario. Assuming we bring no salary back in trading our pick.
It would also be possible to get to around 30 million by keeping the pick and Holmes and letting Oubre go. That way we could get a max PG, and draft a PF (although if it's Zion that may leave us a little bit under 30M), and still have our backup center.

Of course it may also be possible to get rid of salary through trade or sign-and-trade.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.