2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:48 pm
Another random draft thought: I would draft Jarrett Culver over RJ Barrett.
Low on RJ or just high on Culver?

I’m real curious to see how Culver measures out...rumors are that he’s still growing and significantly taller than his listed 6’5

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Morant averages 5.2 turnovers per game...a little bit frightening.

I still think we need a veteran point guard.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
I would not. :lol:

I'm probably the only person on this planet who still thinks RJ is the best prospect in this class. I'm cool with that. :ugeek:
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Sad Suns Fan wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:03 am
INFORMER wrote:
I would not. :lol:

I'm probably the only person on this planet who still thinks RJ is the best prospect in this class. I'm cool with that. :ugeek:
I think RJ is a stud. He's a clear #2 for me.

SDC

Post by SDC »

rj is a 6'7 dwade.

carey

Post by carey »

Can you play him with Booker?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Who is a good NBA comp for Ja Morant? What existing PG does he remind you of?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 am
Westbrook is his closest comp. He’s a better passer and shooter than RW, but scrawnier and worse defensively than RW was in college.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, maybe a smaller Westbrook. He’s very explosive...has some questions about his shot...high turnovers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Westbrook is his closest comp. He’s a better passer and shooter than RW, but scrawnier and worse defensively than RW was in college.
Yeah, get Ja on an NBA weight program and you could see something very similar, but I kind of think he's a combo of RW and Wall.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Disclaimer: I haven't watched a ton of him or college basketball in general.

I think his closest comp coming out of college is DeAaron Fox.

A random thing I like about him is that he's a late bloomer, so he could have a ton of growth potential.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Morant seems a little more vertically explosive than Fox. Fox was quite a bit better as a defensive prospect though. It’s a good comp though.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 pm
I think Morant seems a little more vertically explosive than Fox. Fox was quite a bit better as a defensive prospect though. It’s a good comp though.
Is that a fancy way of saying he jumps higher? I agree with that, but I also don't think it really means much for a PG.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Is that a fancy way of saying he jumps higher? I agree with that, but I also don't think it really means much for a PG.
Kinda I guess...just see Morant attacking and finishing at the rim aggressively moreso than Fox. I’ve seen a lot more of Morant dunking on people and denying people at the rim than I remember seeing from Fox.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Kinda I guess...just see Morant attacking and finishing at the rim aggressively moreso than Fox. I’ve seen a lot more of Morant dunking on people and denying people at the rim than I remember seeing from Fox.
That's fair. Morant is probably a more "exciting" player with how he uses his athleticism, and that can certainly positively impact the energy of a team and crowd. We really haven't had a guy like that since Amare and Marion.

I'm not sure that Morant is the best NBA player after Zion, but I think he's probably the best fit with the how the roster looks now. If they were to move some of the wings and find a permanent starting PG, I'd be inclined to change my tune and lean toward a multi positional guy or someone with elite shooting potential.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
That's fair. Morant is probably a more "exciting" player with how he uses his athleticism, and that can certainly positively impact the energy of a team and crowd. We really haven't had a guy like that since Amare and Marion.

I'm not sure that Morant is the best NBA player after Zion, but I think he's probably the best fit with the how the roster looks now. If they were to move some of the wings and find a permanent starting PG, I'd be inclined to change my tune and lean toward a multi positional guy or someone with elite shooting potential.
I do agree though that being a little more explosive vertically isn’t the most important thing in a pg. DSJ is more explosive vertically than probably any pg, but it doesn’t make him a good pg.

I like Ja, I think he would provide a skill that we’ve lacked since Bledsoe left. Bledsoe had his issues, but he was capable of breaking down the defense. He didn’t always make the right choice once he did, but having someone with the ability to get into the heart of the defense consistently with and without a screen is very useful.

Morant has shown he can finish against college players, but we might see a learning curve there in the nba. He’s a little thin and will need to bulk up. He’s also shown pretty good passing skills. He seems to be significantly more advanced as a passing prospect than Bledsoe ever was..which is nice. If Morant can become a good finisher at the nba level...his current passing/shooting skills make him a better offensive player than Bledsoe ever was.

Defense is another concern. He’ll certainly have the speed and quickness skills to defend the 1...I do worry that he won’t add the strength to be a good defender. I also don’t really ever see him being able to defend up a position.

Shot needs some improving, but it’s not bad. The Westbrook, wall, Bledsoe style pg’s have been effective offensively with questionable jumpers. I think his shot is comparable to theirs.

Ultimately I agree with you. I think he’s the best fit for us outside Zion as we’re loaded at the wing and none of the wings really stand out as can’t miss guys anyways. At least to me. I really wanted to like Reddish and I think he can still be good, but I don’t think we can afford to take him. He’s been pretty bad this year and we can’t afford to take another bust.

I’m not super high on RJ, but I can see the appeal. I think it’s very unlikely he busts. He plays aggressively and definitely has the confidence to succeed. Kinda like JJ in that respect, only RJ has a workable shot and finishing skills that JJ lacks.

I’m a big DeAndre Hunter fan, but his ceiling may not be as high. Jarrett Culver is intriguing...especially if he measures out bigger than expected.

Like you said, if we can fill some of our pg/pf needs by using our excess wings..these prospects become more interesting in comparison to Ja.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'd probably look to trade the pick or trade down to pick Brandon Clarke if it's not the #1 pick. I just don't believe that the Duns will win with a rookie pg starting.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I love Brandon Clarke...he’s got some Matrix potential...could fit real nice next to Ayton and help cover up some deficiencies. Would be in favor of say of swapping picks with Memphis to bring in Conley at pg and pick Clarke with the Memphis pick.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think we'll be in a tough spot if the pick is any lower than #2. I could get behind trading down in the lottery and picking up a future 1st if we're picking outside of the top 2, but that would probably require a team being all in on a prospect like Morant, Barrett, Reddish, etc.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:27 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:18 pm
Ja Morant was really impressive against Belmont. I had some John-Wall basketball concerns with him, but now I'm really only concerned about his personality. He seems too much of his own cheerleader, and I'm not sure he's coachable either (just a gut feeling, though).
How do you think he’ll hold up defensively?
I think he'll be fine. He has tremendous athleticism, which will help him a lot. He'll probably need to get stronger.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.