2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
n4th4n

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by n4th4n »

Zion is a freak. I would gobble up that butterball in a heartbeat if he was available.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I love RJ Barret, but he plays the same position as 80% of our roster. He's a stud.

I was dubious about Zion, but he's looked terrific in the Duke exhibitions. Like Barkley 2.0.

Nassir Little is intriguing if he can play the 4.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 pm
I love RJ Barret, but he plays the same position as 80% of our roster. He's a stud.

I was dubious about Zion, but he's looked terrific in the Duke exhibitions. Like Barkley 2.0.

Charles Barkley?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Charles Barkley?
Saquon.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Reginald Barclay?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Everyone knew this day was coming sooner than later. I just hope we land a top 3 pick.

As for the prospects, I'm not interested in drafting a PG. They take too long to develop into a reliable starter and we already have two guys on the roster waiting to be groomed. We need a big man to play next to Ayton, preferably someone who can handle the ball and defend 1-4. We basically need a Draymond Green clone.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We need to trade the pick for an established player. A real, established player...not Trevor Ariza or Ryan Anderson. No more draft picks and rookies for the love of GOD.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 pm
We need to trade the pick for an established player. A real, established player...not Trevor Ariza or Ryan Anderson. No more draft picks and rookies for the love of GOD.
Problem is, who?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

specialsauce wrote:
But what if they have P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L?!?!

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Problem is, who?
1-2 unexpected players become available every single year. We just gotta be ready to pounce.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Let's pair up Ayton and Towns.

Bizzarro twin towers in this current NBA because, why not?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:17 pm

As a conservative estimate, I'd say we would give up approximately 1 billion points per game or so.

TOO

Post by TOO »

n4th4n wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:17 pm

As a conservative estimate, I'd say we would give up approximately 1 billion points per game or so.
I actually think he's an improvement from Anderson at the 4 defensively. :lol:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:49 pm
Reginald Barclay?
47/10

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:49 pm
Reginald Barclay?
Don't think I didn't notice this. 10/10

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hate that this looks like it might be a thing again. I've been trying not to think about the top guys. Focusing on late lotto prospects. DeAndre Hunter is appealing to me. Especially if his shot improves this year. Sekou Doumbaya is another pf prospect. I haven't watched him yet though. Just read scouting reports. Also, I know we have tons of wings, but I actually wouldn't hesitate to take another one. This draft is heavy on wings(RJ, Reddish, Little). Right now I look at our team moving forward as: ?/Booker/?/?/Ayton. Warren has impressed and I see him as our 6th man. I like the potential of Okobo/Melton/Bridges but none are clear cornerstones. Jackson is a big question mark right now.

I don't know how Zion or RJ Barrett fit with Booker/Ayton, but they might be talented enough that you just take them. Especially Zion, that guy is just a freak with his size/athletic profile.

I really like reddish too. He's got all the offensive skills in the world. Can pass, handle, and shoot and has size. Question marks about his defense and mentality, but very intriguing.

Still hoping we end up picking like 10th though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know how Zion or RJ Barrett fit with Booker/Ayton, but they might be talented enough that you just take them. Especially Zion, that guy is just a freak with his size/athletic profile.
This is an important point. Draft for talent, trade for need but I also think we need to start building an actual team. We need guys who mesh, who's skillsets complement each other and are OK with Booker and Ayton being the cornerstones. We've gone too long just drafting/acquiring talent with no sense of fit or chemistry and it's left our roster imbalanced and forced us into bad trades and bad FA signings.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 am
This is an important point. Draft for talent, trade for need but I also think we need to start building an actual team. We need guys who mesh, who's skillsets complement each other and are OK with Booker and Ayton being the cornerstones. We've gone too long just drafting/acquiring talent with no sense of fit or chemistry and it's left our roster imbalanced and forced us into bad trades and bad FA signings.
I think we've actually drafted for need quite often. In 2016 our need was PF, we just decided to take 2. In 2017 Jackson was seen as a great fit alongside Booker. 2018 we needed a PG and a C and we took Ayton, Okobo. So Bridges was really our only non need pick over the last 3 years.

So I think taking into consideration need is important. But also we need to remember how hard it is to project these guys. Take the guy you know is going to be good over the guy who your unsure of who might be a better fit. I liked Jackson over Tatum in 2017 because I thought they were both good players but Jackson was the better fit next to Booker. Well, it turns out Tatum is just a lot better at basketball.

I don't know enough about these prospects yet to know who the good fits are, but we just can't take a Jackson over Tatum again. I know we didn't actually have that choice, but it's pretty clear we would have made it. Jackson over Fox/Isaac aren't as obvious, but still apply.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Still hoping we end up picking like 10th though.
Good news! Given the flattened lottery odds, we could be one of the league's worst teams and still pick 10th. Everybody wins!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 am
I don't know who Zion doesn't fit with. Seems like a very smart baller. Of course, we haven't seen him against real competition yet.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan