2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 am
Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:34 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 am
Absolutely.
So you are not bothered by the 10 year drought we are in, because we had a good 5 years before that?
I would do it all over again if the opportunity presented itself, yes. It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

Just like I don’t regret the Dbacks mortgaging 10 years to go all in for that 2001 world series
But you don’t have to sabotage your future to be successful. You’re right that we chased after a lot of quick fix decisions that proved to further this drought(summer of 2010, Aldridge, 3 headed PG) but what you’re suggesting could just as easily be another one.

Trading away all our draft picks for a quick fix may work, or it may backfire. Philly may fall apart this summer if butler/Harris/reddick all leave. They went all in on that team and so far have topped out as a 2nd round playoff team. Are you ok if that’s our future?

I just want us to be patient. Ignore the last 9 years. Just focus on what we have now and what the best plan for sustained success is. I think drafting and developing talent are huge to that. We have a lot of talent right now, it’s all young. If we develop it right, continue to feed it through the draft, and make smart veteran additions via trade/free agency, we can have success for a long time.
I believe you draft stars and acquire role players. I’m not interested in waiting several years for rookies to max out as PJ Tucker level talent

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 am
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Absolutely.
So you are not bothered by the 10 year drought we are in, because we had a good 5 years before that?
I would do it all over again if the opportunity presented itself, yes. It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

Just like I don’t regret the Dbacks mortgaging 10 years to go all in for that 2001 world series
But you don’t have to sabotage your future to be successful. You’re right that we chased after a lot of quick fix decisions that proved to further this drought(summer of 2010, Aldridge, 3 headed PG) but what you’re suggesting could just as easily be another one.

Trading away all our draft picks for a quick fix may work, or it may backfire. Philly may fall apart this summer if butler/Harris/reddick all leave. They went all in on that team and so far have topped out as a 2nd round playoff team. Are you ok if that’s our future?

I just want us to be patient. Ignore the last 9 years. Just focus on what we have now and what the best plan for sustained success is. I think drafting and developing talent are huge to that. We have a lot of talent right now, it’s all young. If we develop it right, continue to feed it through the draft, and make smart veteran additions via trade/free agency, we can have success for a long time.
I believe you draft stars and acquire role players. I’m not interested in waiting several years for rookies to max out as PJ Tucker level talent
I don’t think I’m understanding you here, your points seem to contradict each other. You believe we draft stars, but you also think they will max out as PJ Tucker level role players?

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Absolutely.

What did trading away nearly all our draft picks in the Nash years net us?

in 2004 we traded our pick (drafted Loul Deng) for a future draft pick (Nate Robinson) which we traded to get Kurt Thomas for 1.5 years before we traded him and 2 first round picks (one turned into Serge Ibaka) for cap relief...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:55 am
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:

I don’t think I’m understanding you here, your points seem to contradict each other. You believe we draft stars, but you also think they will max out as PJ Tucker level role players?
What I’m saying is, I would prefer to draft only players who project to be future stars. We did well with Devin and Deandre. I also think we did well with shooting for the same in Josh and I think Mikal has that potential as well.

I would prefer to acquire the team’s role players through FA and trades. Drafting players who have low ceilings to me is not worth the gamble and time spent developing. I’m not interested in taking a chance on a rookie who’s ceiling if potential is realized is a PJ Tucker or a Mirotic. I’d rather just sign the proven PJ Tucker or Mirotic in the present to surround my stars.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:

What did trading away nearly all our draft picks in the Nash years net us?

in 2004 we traded our pick (drafted Loul Deng) for a future draft pick (Nate Robinson) which we traded to get Kurt Thomas for 1.5 years before we traded him and 2 first round picks (one turned into Serge Ibaka) for cap relief...
Kurt was an outstanding addition. The biggest mistake in that time was trading him away. ‘07-08 was our most talented team IMO.

Tim Thomas was a great addition. Jim Jackson was great for the first year. Steven Hunter was serviceable. Grant Hill was great. JRich was great.

If I can turn a fist round pick into acquiring a proven role player Im all for it

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:55 am
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

What I’m saying is, I would prefer to draft only players who project to be future stars. We did well with Devin and Deandre. I also think we did well with shooting for the same in Josh and I think Mikal has that potential as well.

I would prefer to acquire the team’s role players through FA and trades. Drafting players who have low ceilings to me is not worth the gamble and time spent developing. I’m not interested in taking a chance on a rookie who’s ceiling if potential is realized is a PJ Tucker or a Mirotic. I’d rather just sign the proven PJ Tucker or Mirotic in the present to surround my stars.
Gotcha. For me it just depends...id expect a top 10 pick to give me a potential star, but I’m fine shooting for supporting players in the mid to late first

Indy

Post by Indy »

Which current starters still in the playoffs were drafted higher than our 6th pick this year? It isn't about having a #1 pick. It is about making smart choices, and making many choices. You don't give away rolls of the dice.

Of the 15 starters left in the playoffs:

0/15 #1 picks.
1/15 top 5 pick (and he was signed as a FA)
2/15 top 10 pick
4/15 2nd round picks
11/15 non-lottery picks

Average: 23rd pick

Giannis--15th pick
Middleton--39
Brogdon--36
Bledsoe--18
Lopez--10

Claw--15
Lowry--24
Siakam--27
Green--46
Ibaka--24 / Gasol--48

Curry--7
Klay--11
Draymond--35
KD--2
Looney--30

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 pm
I don’t know if you’ve seen but we have picked up a couple of top notch development people recently.
Those are precisely the signings I was talking about, Bender is still salvageable to my eyes, as well as Jackson with the right development, although Jackson is carrying a hefty price tag to find out, Bender coming back for the minimum with a player option for year 2 works for me to find out if this new coaches are for real.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm
Superbone wrote:
I don’t know if you’ve seen but we have picked up a couple of top notch development people recently.
Those are precisely the signings I was talking about, Bender is still salvageable to my eyes, as well as Jackson with the right development, although Jackson is carrying a hefty price tag to find out, Bender coming back for the minimum with a player option for year 2 works for me to find out if this new coaches are for real.
I am not sure there has been a worse player in the league over the last two years that got the minutes Josh got. It is crazy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm
Superbone wrote:
I am not sure there has been a worse player in the league over the last two years that got the minutes Josh got. It is crazy.
There hasn't been.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm
Which current starters still in the playoffs were drafted higher than our 6th pick this year? It isn't about having a #1 pick. It is about making smart choices, and making many choices. You don't give away rolls of the dice.

Of the 15 starters left in the playoffs:

0/15 #1 picks.
1/15 top 5 pick (and he was signed as a FA)
2/15 top 10 pick
4/15 2nd round picks
11/15 non-lottery picks

Average: 23rd pick

Giannis--15th pick
Middleton--39
Brogdon--36
Bledsoe--18
Lopez--10

Claw--15
Lowry--24
Siakam--27
Green--46
Ibaka--24 / Gasol--48

Curry--7
Klay--11
Draymond--35
KD--2
Looney--30

And look how many of those players spent time developing on another team’s dime before getting picked up by these teams.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm
You don't give away rolls of the dice.
It really do be like that.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You have to make smart picks and then also be able to develop them.

The Suns have been 0 for 2.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

What are our thoughts on Mfiondu Kabengele? Seems to be Amare sized with a 7' 3" wingspan. Can also shoot it some. 37% from 3 and 77% from FT indicates a stroke could be there. Also 1.5 blocks per game? I'm guessing 6 is too high for him but could we be interested? Anyone rather go with him over Brandon Clarke?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Luka Samanic is a guy I hope the Suns bring in for workouts. He probably won't be available at #32, but stranger things have happened. He's not as big as Bender, but I wish Bender played with the aggression Luka has shown.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:13 am
What are our thoughts on Mfiondu Kabengele? Seems to be Amare sized with a 7' 3" wingspan. Can also shoot it some. 37% from 3 and 77% from FT indicates a stroke could be there. Also 1.5 blocks per game? I'm guessing 6 is too high for him but could we be interested? Anyone rather go with him over Brandon Clarke?
I like Kabengele, but not over Clarke.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:23 am
Luka Samanic is a guy I hope the Suns bring in for workouts. He probably won't be available at #32, but stranger things have happened. He's not as big as Bender, but I wish Bender played with the aggression Luka has shown.

I heard he had a good combine. Might be available at #32.
Not great in the post or on defense, but apparently can shoot and that is something Suns do not have in their big people.
Currently slated in top half of second round, depending on which mock draft you follow.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:13 am
He has nice stats, but every time I watched an FSU, I wasn't impressed. I still have a handful of games to watch, so maybe I'll see something in those.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

There is always stuff in this draft process that makes me roll eyes.

I love the drills where they have the guy dribble full court, some 5'6 guy stands in their way, they dribble around him and dunk. Seriously?! This is the crap GMs are flying around the country to see?

I also love Kevin Porter Jr. being called a scorer. He averaged 9.5 ppg. If you want to say he has tremendous offensive potential, go right ahead. He has range, can hit with accuracy, has great hops, great strength, and terrific handles in the halfcourt. But he scored 9.5 ppg. Scorers score. Kevin Porter Jr. did not score, at least not consistently.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:I also love Kevin Porter Jr. being called a scorer. He averaged 9.5 ppg. If you want to say he has tremendous offensive potential, go right ahead. He has range, can hit with accuracy, has great hops, great strength, and terrific handles in the halfcourt. But he scored 9.5 ppg. Scorers score. Kevin Porter Jr. did not score, at least not consistently.
Scuttlebutt is he was awful for his Spurs workout and was shut down by Charles Matthews.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!