2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7713
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T » Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 am

We’ll know Tuesday..kinda interesting that tuesday could be bigger news than the actual draft. If we land 1 we know we got Zion, if we land 2, we’ll get Ja. I guess if we land 3 or later we will still be in the dark a bit.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8810
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Indy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:21 am
I really hope we end up with #2 and take Morant. I am not letting myself hope for #1/Zion, but #2/Morant would be a huge upgrade for us and get us set up at PG for the next decade. Then we could address PF and backup PG through free agency. That's a young team I can get behind.
I hope we do. We have a 27.4% chance of getting top 2. Not great. But better than some.

JeremyG
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JeremyG » Sun May 12, 2019 8:37 pm

I’m almost hoping for #2 over #1. I think Zion could be like taking Blake Griffin #1 over Steph Curry. Morant could be our next franchise PG.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5569
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition » Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7713
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T » Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 pm

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
You think there is 5 pg’s in this draft better than Ja?

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5569
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition » Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Split T wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
You think there is 5 pg’s in this draft better than Ja?
No, I think there could 5 pgs in the draft next that could be better than him.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7713
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T » Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 pm

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
You think there is 5 pg’s in this draft better than Ja?
No, I think there could 5 pgs in the draft next that could be better than him.
Gotcha...I haven’t looked at that draft...I’ve heard it’s pg heavy..but it’s way too early and I’m not waiting another year for a pg

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5569
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition » Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Split T wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
You think there is 5 pg’s in this draft better than Ja?
No, I think there could 5 pgs in the draft next that could be better than him.
Gotcha...I haven’t looked at that draft...I’ve heard it’s pg heavy..but it’s way too early and I’m not waiting another year for a pg
Well, there should be many good options available this year in FA and/or trade this year.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10765
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey » Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm

In2ition wrote:Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot.
Is this part true? I didn't realize he shoots with the wrong hand.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8810
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Indy » Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 am

carey wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm
In2ition wrote:Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot.
Is this part true? I didn't realize he shoots with the wrong hand.
I think I heard that on the most recent 7SOL podcast too.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4831
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by ShelC » Mon May 13, 2019 6:04 am

The push shot bothers me as well.

I don't know...I would take him #2 for sure but I'll always long for De'Aaron Fox. What could've been...sigh.

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5154
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino » Mon May 13, 2019 6:18 am

I don't have any concerns about Morant's shot. He's already a better shooter than Payton, and a summer or two with a shot doctor is all he needs.

The defense is a concern, although I don't think it's an awareness issue. I think he just rested on defense a lot in college because he seemed to defend much better at the end of tight games.

But nobody should think Morant is in the same category as Zion. Some mocks have Morant dropping to 3 or 4 because of the D and the shot. Zion would be the clear #1 is almost any draft in history.
SELL THE TEAM
#notank
#sarverout

JeremyG
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JeremyG » Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I just don’t know if Zion will be that dominant in the NBA. I have concerns about both his height and his weight. Also, he relies heavily on his athleticism, which will diminish with age and could diminish quickly with just a single injury.

User avatar
wpmiller42
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by wpmiller42 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:48 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm
I just don’t know if Zion will be that dominant in the NBA. I have concerns about both his height and his weight. Also, he relies heavily on his athleticism, which will diminish with age and could diminish quickly with just a single injury.
He's a phenomenal athlete, but I don't think he over relies on his athleticism. I think his BB IQ is pretty high. I don't think I'm in the camp that thinks that Zion is 100% going to be the best player ever, but I think you have to take him #1. I think his floor is Charles Barkley, which is pretty impressive to me. I get the sense that Zion is in the Vince Carter realm, where, sure, he's a freak athlete, but that his game will age well because he's a pretty smart player.

JeremyG
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JeremyG » Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm

I agree you have to take him at #1. But I think Barkley would be his ceiling not his floor.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5569
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition » Mon May 13, 2019 1:42 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm
I just don’t know if Zion will be that dominant in the NBA. I have concerns about both his height and his weight. Also, he relies heavily on his athleticism, which will diminish with age and could diminish quickly with just a single injury.
Anyone's athleticism could be destroyed with an injury. That's a hard thing to predict. LeBron and Carter are freak athletes that have been relatively healthy for a ridiculous amount of time.

I have my own concerns, and have honestly thought that perhaps falling to 3-7 would't be all that bad. I almost think that Clarke might end up better for the Suns, in that he becomes a glue guy role player that every team needs to win at position that compliments Ayton instead of hurting or diminishing his development. Along with the Suns needing another player at pg and one that compliments and helps Booker(being a player that can create his own shot and becomes a secondary scorer and playmaker).
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7713
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T » Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm

I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 5569
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition » Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm
I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.
I'm not saying that Clarke will be better than Zion. Not at all. I'm just saying it's possible in the long run that he might be a better fit for the team they are building, and it's not the end of the world if they fall.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"
Nate Duncan / Morten Jensen
Ben Goliver / Jake Madison
Bryan Toporek / John Karalis
Danny Leroux / Jonathan Feigen
Howard Beck / Dan Devine
Dan Favale / Andy Bailey
Coach Nick / Jared Weiss
Marc Jiang / David Aldridge

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 5154
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino » Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I don't think Clarke will fit in with what the Suns do. Clarke is a winner. :twisted:
SELL THE TEAM
#notank
#sarverout

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 7713
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T » Mon May 13, 2019 2:16 pm

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm
I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.
I'm not saying that Clarke will be better than Zion. Not at all. I'm just saying it's possible in the long run that he might be a better fit for the team they are building, and it's not the end of the world if they fall.
I know, just think if Zion ends up an all-nba guy, it’d be silly to have taken a role player over him, regardless of how he fits. And Clarke needs a jump shot to be a great fit.

Post Reply