Game Day: Suns (1-3) @ Grizzlies (2-2), Sat 10/27/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-3) @ Grizzlies (2-2), Sat 10/27/18

Post by ShelC »

Fox was the guy. Could come back to haunt us for a while.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So was McD worried about the optics of getting another Kentucky guard? He could have picked Murray or Fox in back to back drafts, but he did reportedly try to trade up for SGA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:53 pm
Fox was the guy. Could come back to haunt us for a while.
I vote for ShelC for Suns' GM!
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm
I hate to say this, because it may seem like I want the worst for Josh, but it's not true. I remember going to the Suns draft party last year, and a Suns rep was asking me what I thought as soon as the pick was announced and the arena was filled with cheers. I told him that I was a little disappointed. I would have rather had Tatum, which wasn't possible, Fox, or trade down and pick up a couple players. Also, the 2nd round picks were underwhelming to say the least.
That's how most of us felt.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We shouldn't be playing this game, but how different would this team be with Murray/Markkanen or Fox/Sabonis?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm
I hate to say this, because it may seem like I want the worst for Josh, but it's not true. I remember going to the Suns draft party last year, and a Suns rep was asking me what I thought as soon as the pick was announced and the arena was filled with cheers. I told him that I was a little disappointed. I would have rather had Tatum, which wasn't possible, Fox, or trade down and pick up a couple players. Also, the 2nd round picks were underwhelming to say the least.
That's how most of us felt.
I was really hoping I was wrong, with everyone so excited about the pick and how McD was practically gushing over his luck to get Jackson. Maybe I should say that I still hope I'm wrong.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 am
I might be the biggest Josh Jackson hater on here. My nickname for him is "The Net Negative." But he's way better than Archie Goodwin.
Bold statement sir.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do see some things I like from Josh Jackson from time to time. He throws lobs to Ayton and seems to genuinely connect with him. He can actually throw that lob pass, unlike almost anybody else on our roster. That's very good. He also seems fearless. He went right at Russell Westbrook a couple times the other night; I noticed that and liked his bravery. Russ got him once or twice, and a lot of rookies would have hung their head, but Josh went right back at him. I really don't like that he doesn't play within himself, but I also like that he believes in himself and attacks and tries to be a winning player, even if he isn't quite there.

My biggest Josh Jackson pet peeve is that he takes ill-advised shots and is an awful shooter. I think he feels like, okay, I worked on it some this summer, I have reduced the hitch in my shot, now it's time to let 'em fly and prove that I can shoot now! But he can't, at least not consistently. Every game he'll pull up once from 3 and it'll swish through and I'll think, huh, maybe Josh Jackson has been working on his 3s. but then he'll clang 4-5 more outside jumpers and it'll negate any positive from the made one.

I'm not saying we should give up on Josh and take his minutes away. I am just more negative on him overall than positive, because I think his awful shooting is a real Achilles heel. I also think it'd be fine to include Jackson in a trade package for a PG or PF who can help us get wins. I don't think we should be holding back from including him in deals like the Kyrie deal last year that we passed up.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JJ in elite company: http://bkref.com/tiny/MieZC

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:01 pm
So was McD worried about the optics of getting another Kentucky guard? He could have picked Murray or Fox in back to back drafts, but he did reportedly try to trade up for SGA.
I wanted Murray, but not Fox due to his lack of shooting and wiry frame.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 am
I'm not saying we should give up on Josh and take his minutes away. I am just more negative on him overall than positive, because I think his awful shooting is a real Achilles heel. I also think it'd be fine to include Jackson in a trade package for a PG or PF who can help us get wins. I don't think we should be holding back from including him in deals like the Kyrie deal last year that we passed up.
Well, obviously this is not an option anymore. Jackson is looking more and more like poison on the court and no team can possibly still be high enough on him to consider him a big piece in a trade involving a star. I am sure teams that liked him at the draft are feeling extremely relieved they didn't get him (can hear Ainge laughing his ass off from here). The moment to trade him was this offseason after the move for Mikal since he ended '17-18 with a high note. Of course, this is hindsight but what we have now is a real problem because if he can't stop sucking at this incredibly awful level, you have to phase him out and remove him from the rotation.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:59 pm
We shouldn't be playing this game, but how different would this team be with Murray/Markkanen or Fox/Sabonis?
I was a big Sabonis fan in that draft.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I loved Sabonis his freshman year but cooled on him his sophomore year. I loved him as a player but wanted a more athletic PF with more range because that's the trend and we had Len and Chandler. He didn't breakout until last year when he filled in for an injured Turner and even now, they hardly play together so he's a 6th man as the main C off the bench. But at least he's a productive NBA player.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, Sabonis has been solid but not spectacular. Compared to what we got? SMH
"Be Legendary."