Game Day: Suns (1-4) @ Thunder (0-4), Sun 10/28/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-4) @ Thunder (0-4), Sun 10/28/18

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:00 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm
Okobo
Booker
Bridges
Warren
Ayton

That’s needs to be the starting 5 going forward.
I second this lineup. On top of this, but maybe they should try Bender in front of Anderson and Holmes in front of Chandler going forward. I'm ok with Ariza backing up or even starting at the sf, but they need to play Bridges and Warren and I hope to never see Canaan again. Can we trade Canaan, Chandler and Anderson for Love? ;)
Yes, please, and let's try Melton as the backup 2.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 am
Do folks on here realize that we are missing our best player? If Lebron were out, the Lakers would lose games. If the Jazz were missing Donovan Mitchell, they'd lose games. And so on.
Our best player is a net negative by 9 points every 100 possessions. And we were getting blown out with him on the court too. The problems are more than missing Booker for a couple games.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Xylus wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:02 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:40 am
One good thing about our team this year, and Igor's offense:

We are #1 in the league in assisted FGs. We have over 67% of our FGs assisted. Last year it was 55%, and 27th in the league. Last year GSW lead with 68%, and only 2 teams were above 65% (GSW, 76ers).

On the down side, we lead the league in TO/FG at 48%. We also led last year at 41%.
Great observation about the offense. It's pretty remarkable that we're also top 10 in the league in effective FG % but still getting blown out every night. Averaging 18.8 TO's a game will do that, I guess.
Exactly. Honestly, if we were around league average on TOs, that would also help our transition defense, and we would be saving about 10 points a game.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I keep saying it... get Tyus Jones. He addresses:

* 3 point shooting

* High assist to T/O ratio

* Low, low turnovers.

* Top flight defender at PG.

Leading the T-wolves in net +/- per 48 plus minus (again) this season.

Because his offensive stats (like PER) aren't gaudy, and has a low usage rate surrounded by guys who want the ball int heir hands, and gets limited minutes, we can get him for a great price. Probably the most undervalued player in the league right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

We are #1 in the league in assisted FGs. We have over 67% of our FGs assisted. Last year it was 55%, and 27th in the league. Last year GSW lead with 68%, and only 2 teams were above 65% (GSW, 76ers).

On the down side, we lead the league in TO/FG at 48%. We also led last year at 41%.
Great observation about the offense. It's pretty remarkable that we're also top 10 in the league in effective FG % but still getting blown out every night. Averaging 18.8 TO's a game will do that, I guess.
IOW, if we cut out the turnovers, we'll be the best team in the league. From worst to first. Cool.
"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:54 am
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

Exactly. Honestly, if we were around league average on TOs, that would also help our transition defense, and we would be saving about 10 points a game.
Honestly, this makes me feel a lot better about the state of our team. Even when they're getting blown out, they're still executing Igor's offensive schemes instead of reverting to straight-up hero ball. We can pin this problem to a simple root cause: No competent PG.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Xylus wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am
Indy wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

Honestly, this makes me feel a lot better about the state of our team. Even when they're getting blown out, they're still executing Igor's offensive schemes instead of reverting to straight-up hero ball. We can pin this problem to a simple root cause: No competent PG.
It really is so much more than a competent PG. A competent PG is really just going to dribble the ball up the court and initiate the set; so many of our turnovers come within the set offense. The way this offense is everybody seems to touch the ball and the second or third player to touch it tries to make a cross court I’ll advised pass or throws it at Aytons feet. One player won’t fix that. If Canaan has 7 turnovers per game, then okay, but the PG isn’t the issue here with turnovers.

It’s getting players like Ariza and Josh Jackson to play smarter, or cutting them out of the rotation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 am
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

It really is so much more than a competent PG. A competent PG is really just going to dribble the ball up the court and initiate the set; so many of our turnovers come within the set offense. The way this offense is everybody seems to touch the ball and the second or third player to touch it tries to make a cross court I’ll advised pass or throws it at Aytons feet. One player won’t fix that. If Canaan has 7 turnovers per game, then okay, but the PG isn’t the issue here with turnovers.

It’s getting players like Ariza and Josh Jackson to play smarter, or cutting them out of the rotation.
Our players were driving me CRAZY last night. The were making such terrible passes that were getting turned over. Just clean that up and we would seriously be a lot better and not allow teams to go on crazy runs.
"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

I agree. A competent PG would make the biggest difference, though.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:09 am
specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Our players were driving me CRAZY last night. The were making such terrible passes that were getting turned over. Just clean that up and we would seriously be a lot better and not allow teams to go on crazy runs.
There was one sequence I swear they tried a cross court pass 3 times in a row and each time it was easily stolen. How many times before they realize you can’t do that at this level??

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Xylus wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:10 am
specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Again, PG is not where the TOs are coming from. I disagree.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am
Xylus wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

Because we don't have a competent PG who can turn the ball over. So you rely on a PG-less offense that requires more ball handling from your wings who don't excel in that area.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Xylus wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:18 am
specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Because we don't have a competent PG who can turn the ball over. So you rely on a PG-less offense that requires more ball handling from your wings who don't excel in that area.
I think you’re thinking the offense will change with a PG. This motion offense is Igor’s offense. You can upgrade the 1 but the weaves and movement are his forte and that relies on all the wings. The wings that are turning the ball over at a record rate.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:20 am
Xylus wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:18 am
specialsauce wrote:
Xylus wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I think you’re thinking the offense will change with a PG. This motion offense is Igor’s offense. You can upgrade the 1 but the weaves and movement are his forte and that relies on all the wings. The wings that are turning the ball over at a record rate.
Well we can settle this debate by trading for a competent PG. Get it done, James.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

More grist for the mill:

After six games, among players with significant minutes, Josh Jackson has a woeful -0.3 PER with 3.8 TOs per game.
He is shooting .377 from the field and .364 from the free-thrown line.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I didn't know negative PER was possible.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:52 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 am
Do folks on here realize that we are missing our best player? If Lebron were out, the Lakers would lose games. If the Jazz were missing Donovan Mitchell, they'd lose games. And so on.
Our best player is a net negative by 9 points every 100 possessions. And we were getting blown out with him on the court too. The problems are more than missing Booker for a couple games.
I second this. I don't feel much better about this team even when Booker is out there. Shoddy passing is by biggest beef but the lack of energy and effort stands out to me. We shouldn't be this settled into losing already. I see a team that's fine with losing right now. It's become an acceptable norm.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Xylus wrote:
Indy wrote:

How many of those turnovers are passes to Ayton and Chandler's knees? Maybe cleaning up that one thing would make a big enough difference to keep us in ballgames.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:31 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm
Okobo
Booker
Bridges
Warren
Ayton

That’s needs to be the starting 5 going forward.
100% agree.
What a draft. Three rookies in the starting line up?

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:30 am
More grist for the mill:

After six games, among players with significant minutes, Josh Jackson has a woeful -0.3 PER with 3.8 TOs per game.
He is shooting .377 from the field and .364 from the free-thrown line.
Right now, based on PER and minutes played (EWA and VA), Josh Jackson has done more to hurt his team than any player in the league.

By a wide margin.