Game Day: Suns (1-4) @ Thunder (0-4), Sun 10/28/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-4) @ Thunder (0-4), Sun 10/28/18

Post by ShelC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 am
I don't know that Ayton is giving a poor effort. It can be hard to judge effort on the basketball court when you're watching at home. Ayton plays with a controlled and methodical style. He's never flailing his body or out of control. He seems to be trying to stay out of foul trouble, to play within himself, to not reach. I don't think his defense is great right now, but I do like that he plays with a certain discipline and control. I for one think he plays hard and gives a fine effort, but I think he still has a lot to learn, especially on defense.
The issue comes when he just stands under the basket simply watching as the ball bounces instead of gobbling it up or even blocking out. Or when he slowly lets someone drive to the rim without being a menace.

Call it low motor, poor effort, bad defensive awareness or whatever, but it is there, and being clearly underconditioned compounds the problem, as well as the terrible allaround performance from his teammates.

Ayton will never have Faried's level of activity, but he is extremely coachable and I am confident in due time he'll palliate these deficiencies.

In my oipnion, a vet PF who can provide help defense and shooting would do wonders for Ayton. Bender could have been that type of player, but it seems he is done. Ariza was never going to be that guy, btw.
Well said. Conditioning does seem to be an issue. He's not out of shape, but he's not where he needs to be. I also think he needs better focus and needs to learn to be locked in from the opening tip rather than playing his way into the game and getting caught watching a few times before he wakes up. The one thing that does concern me is his lateral footspeed, which is where you see him slow to react and having people get by him. It's not the end of the world if he's laterally slow, but we'll need the right defenders around him to help if/when he gets beat.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I don't know that Ayton is giving a poor effort. It can be hard to judge effort on the basketball court when you're watching at home. Ayton plays with a controlled and methodical style. He's never flailing his body or out of control. He seems to be trying to stay out of foul trouble, to play within himself, to not reach. I don't think his defense is great right now, but I do like that he plays with a certain discipline and control. I for one think he plays hard and gives a fine effort, but I think he still has a lot to learn, especially on defense.
The issue comes when he just stands under the basket simply watching as the ball bounces instead of gobbling it up or even blocking out. Or when he slowly lets someone drive to the rim without being a menace.

Call it low motor, poor effort, bad defensive awareness or whatever, but it is there, and being clearly underconditioned compounds the problem, as well as the terrible allaround performance from his teammates.

Ayton will never have Faried's level of activity, but he is extremely coachable and I am confident in due time he'll palliate these deficiencies.

In my oipnion, a vet PF who can provide help defense and shooting would do wonders for Ayton. Bender could have been that type of player, but it seems he is done. Ariza was never going to be that guy, btw.
AD would be perfect next to Ayton, but AD would be perfect next to probably anyone. You could add KD or more realistically right now, Zion.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Well said. Conditioning does seem to be an issue. He's not out of shape, but he's not where he needs to be. I also think he needs better focus and needs to learn to be locked in from the opening tip rather than playing his way into the game and getting caught watching a few times before he wakes up. The one thing that does concern me is his lateral footspeed, which is where you see him slow to react and having people get by him. It's not the end of the world if he's laterally slow, but we'll need the right defenders around him to help if/when he gets beat.
Ayton's lateral foot speed is one of his strongest characteristics. He moves incredibly well when he gets down in his stance to guard faster players out on the perimeter.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yeah I don’t know which Ayton he’s been watching but that is one of his strengths defensively

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's certainly more a case of recognition than lateral footspeed.

His mobility is off the charts!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wasn't talking about the perimeter, meant around the basket with guards.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:22 am
Wasn't talking about the perimeter, meant around the basket with guards.
Yeah, I think that's either recognition, or decision-making (whether to help off his man or not). Hopefully it'll improve with experience. He should be a lot better at protecting the rim than he has been.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am
It's certainly more a case of recognition than lateral footspeed.

His mobility is off the charts!
Bingo!
"Be Legendary."