Game Day: Spurs (4-2) @ Suns (1-5), Wed 10/31/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BlaCkAdDa

Re: Game Day: Spurs (4-2) @ Suns (1-5), Wed 10/31/18

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

On the bits I saw.. Ref's seemed to give SA a lot of calls... Stat's suggest missing shots (or comparatively letting easy shots for opponents) is our biggest downfall

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Lack of any kind of passion for the game is a big part of the downfall. At least Booker has that. How about showing a little emotion and care? We seem like we're just going through the motions right now.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:42 pm
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:09 pm
Maybe Budenholzer just wanted ya know, the better job?
He probably talked to Sarver and thought to himself "I want no part of this s***."
Wise man.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:50 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:42 pm
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:09 pm
Maybe Budenholzer just wanted ya know, the better job?
He probably talked to Sarver and thought to himself "I want no part of this s***."
Wise man.
I get that Milwaukee has Giannis, but Bud is an AZ native and we had Booker, assets, a high pick coming, AZ weather vs. WI weather. On the surface there were definitely some appealing things about the coaching situation.

But yeah.. below the surface.. yeah. We're all agreeing here. One way or another Sarver blew it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 am
I assume a top 5 pick will do more for this team than firing Igor or trading for a meh PG on a 30M deal.
THANK YOU.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 am
I assume a top 5 pick will do more for this team than firing Igor or trading for a meh PG on a 30M deal.
w

THANK YOU.
I'm not in favor of overpaying for a Meh point guard but our drafting has been pretty Meh lately.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't want to have to rely on the draft. It's a crapshoot. Especially for this rudderless team.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Let's be clear: this team has made stupid draft picks, trades, AND free agency signings. I don't see any reason to give up on the draft but still trust the front office's ability to make trades and signings that will make this team significantly better.

All the Suns need is that lotto pick and cap space. Move Josh Jackson with Ryan Anderson for expiring deals. This free agency class is loaded with veteran role players that could really solidify and balance the roster.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:53 pm
I don't want to have to rely on the draft. It's a crapshoot. Espescially for this rudderless team.
THIS!

I'd make the argument that the biggest reason we are in the mess we are in now is because of relying on the draft far too much.

DeMarcus Cousins, Kyrie Irving, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, soon Jimmy Butler are just few of the star players that have been traded in the last 2 years to teams that were NOT on their list of "favorite teams to sign with".

I wonder how different the Suns outlook would be right now with one or two of those players on the roster.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

UglyTruth wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:52 pm
I'd make the argument that the biggest reason we are in the mess we are in now is because of relying on the draft far too much.
That would be a weak argument. The Suns chased after LaMarcus Aldridge, hung on to Eric Bledsoe WAY TOO long, signed Tyson Chandler to an idiotic deal, brought in Isaiah Thomas, and spent all their money on Trevor Ariza this offseason. Most of the draft picks were results of mismanagement of the veterans on the team and terrible coaching, not strategic reliance on the draft.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

UglyTruth wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins, Kyrie Irving, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, soon Jimmy Butler are just few of the star players that have been traded in the last 2 years to teams that were NOT on their list of "favorite teams to sign with".
Cousins didn't have a wish list. He was toxic and Sacramento finally decided to ties. And then New Orleans let him walk and are doing just fine without him. The Suns didn't miss out there.

Kyrie Irving could have been had, probably. But I don't think Devon Booker would be enough to keep him here. The Suns were a disaster at the head coach, general manager, and ownership level. We don't have Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge, and like it or not, that matters. The Suns didn't have anything in place to persuade Irving to buy in.

Jimmy Butler?! Next.

San Antonio wanted a package for Leonard that help them remain a playoff team. The only thing the Suns had to offer to accomplish that is Devin Booker. Do you think the Suns would be better off swapping Booker for Kawhi Leonard?

Paul George?! Indiana won that trade and OKC is stuck with a fringe star with a bloated contract. I'm not sad about not having Paul George.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
That would be a weak argument. The Suns chased after LaMarcus Aldridge, hung on to Eric Bledsoe WAY TOO long, signed Tyson Chandler to an idiotic deal, brought in Isaiah Thomas, and spent all their money on Trevor Ariza this offseason. Most of the draft picks were results of mismanagement of the veterans on the team and terrible coaching, not strategic reliance on the draft.
Just reliving all those stupid ass moves makes you wonder why he was kept for so long. Should have fired him leading up to the 2018 draft.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:57 pm
This free agency class is loaded with veteran role players that could really solidify and balance the roster.
Ricky Rubio is who we should be targeting. Dante Exum has bee playing pretty well to start this season and I think Utah would like to move him into the starting role by the beginning of next year. I'm sure they'd like to re-sign Rubio, but they'll likely offer him a lower value contract and a bench role, where as the Suns will have the cap space and a starting role for him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:
This free agency class is loaded with veteran role players that could really solidify and balance the roster.
Ricky Rubio is who we should be targeting. Dante Exum has bee playing pretty well to start this season and I think Utah would like to move him into the starting role by the beginning of next year. I'm sure they'd like to re-sign Rubio, but they'll likely offer him a lower value contract and a bench role, where as the Suns will have the cap space and a starting role for him.
Agreed. He hasn't been shooting great so far this year, but he has been my number one target for awhile. We need someone like him to distribute the ball.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ayton, Booker, Warren, Okobo and Bridges don’t seem to be horrible draft picks to me.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Just accept it. This season is lost. We still can't compete (let alone win) because the roster is as mess with no PG or PF. When you look at what we have, all you see is pure trash until you get to some unproven kids and Booker-Ayton-Warren. That's a bottom 5 team in this league, especially when teams are scoring so much and we can't either shoot or defend.

The only way out of this is nailing the next high pick and using wisely FA money. If you enter next offseason with just Booker-Ayton-Warren-Bridges-Okobo-top5 pick, and renounce/dump/stretch everything else, you are looking at around $35M in cap space (plus the room exception).

Say the pick delivers a real player at one of the two positions of need. You have a lot of room to fix the other hole and add some veteran role players, which means you have rotation of 8-9 guys who hopefully make sense on the court.

In the meantime, start Okobo, Booker, Bridges, Warren and Ayton and look for small positive things.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:07 pm
INFORMER wrote:

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 pm
Ayton, Booker, Warren, Okobo and Bridges don’t seem to be horrible draft picks to me.
Yeah but the problem is that Len, Ennis, Bender and Chriss are. Jackson soon to join.

*I'm even doing a favor of not including another 1st rd pick in Goodwin.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:07 am
Nodack wrote:
Yeah but the problem is that Len, Ennis, Bender and Chriss are. Jackson soon to join.

*I'm even doing a favor of not including another 1st rd pick in Goodwin.
I'd contend with Bogdanovic at #27, but we know what he did with his rights. Trademark one step forward, one step backwards.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Or Brogdan. Or the picks we didn't use because we traded them away for guys like Brandon Knight or Chriss or Bridges.