Game Day: Grizzlies (5-2) @ Suns (1-7), Sun 11/4/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Grizzlies (5-2) @ Suns (1-7), Sun 11/4/18

Post by O_Gardino »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 pm
gosuns wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 am
Xylus wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm
Those are some true fans at the arena tonight
Yeah, got to give it up for them. As sparse as it looked, they made a lot of noise. I watched the fourth quarter a second time. This time from the Grizzlies broadcast.
Great Idea. I must try that too. :lol:
I usually get both broadcasts on League Pass. I always record both. Then if something interesting happens or it's just a great game, I can hear it from the other perspective.
I really appreciate Eddie Johnson. He has a players perspective and compliments good play from either team instead of being a homer.
+1 . EJ is one of the best in the business.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 pm
gosuns wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 am

Yeah, got to give it up for them. As sparse as it looked, they made a lot of noise. I watched the fourth quarter a second time. This time from the Grizzlies broadcast.
Great Idea. I must try that too. :lol:
I usually get both broadcasts on League Pass. I always record both. Then if something interesting happens or it's just a great game, I can hear it from the other perspective.
I really appreciate Eddie Johnson. He has a players perspective and compliments good play from either team instead of being a homer.
So true. I watch the Jazz games because I live in the market and I enjoy watching basketball. I really dislike the Jazz though. And the TV/radio guys take the cake for homerism. The Jazz never do anything wrong, the refs missed the call, a Mitchell layup is the greatest shot ever seen by man, etc. Now they are struggling because they were the clutchiest, grabbiest, elbowiest, moving-screeniest team in the league and little of that is allowed this season with the new emphasis on movement. But no fan thinks this because they were told their team never did anything wrong. Every other team/fan knew the Jazz were "dirty".

Anyways, I like that EJ calls out the Suns for doing things wrong. We have a good broadcast even though I can't stand our last couple of play-by-lay guys..
Great post on the Jazz and their fans. I'm sure they took the worst character traits of Celtic fans and thought, "This is how we can be and take it to another level!"
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 am
We have a good broadcast even though I can't stand our last couple of play-by-lay guys..
Al was great. Cotton was great. Gary Bender had his charm. What has happened to this organization that we can’t put a decent pbp on TV anymore? Does Sarver drive away even the TV talent?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kevin Ray is just kind of... there.
"Be Legendary."

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 am
But Lindsay Smith makes up some of the KRay deficit... ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 am
But Lindsay Smith makes up some of the KRay deficit... ;)
Yes... Yes she does.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kevin Ray does Cowboys games, thats all you need to say about him. Epitome of average.

Lindsey and EJ are great.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hard to attract good talent to a shitty team. I am so glad we have Eddie and Lindsey. Tom and Tom? Meh. Same with K-ray, who seems to be a great guy. Just not good at play by play. Maybe he will get better over time. But he doesn't sound like the kind of guy that grew up pretending to be a play-by-play guy while watching his friends play sports like Al. You get the feeling Al had completely honed his craft by the time he was 9.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 pm
Kevin Ray does Cowboys games, thats all you need to say about him. Epitome of average.

Lindsey and EJ are great.
He does sound like a football guy now that you mention it. He doesn't seem to have a lot of passion for the game of basketball.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

K-Ray is great in that Nugenix commercial with Frank Thomas.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't think it's as important to have a great TV play by play guy on as it is on the radio (for obvious reasons), and Ray is a step up from Leander, but he's pretty dull.

And while I though Al McCoy was starting to show his age a bit last year when I caught a preseason game on the radio this year he was back to his usual self.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am
K-Ray is great in that Nugenix commercial with Frank Thomas.
That's where he really excels.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Rewatching this outside the euphoria of the moment, I see that exciting, awesome finish is really not that awesome.

We complain a lot about hero ball around here, but somehow the term never comes up when it’s working. Much of Devin’s fourth-quarter explosion was a product of hero ball. The last two possessions in particular, Devin was “Everybody get out of the way, I’m shooting this,” the Grizz knew he was shooting and defended him very well, and he took and hit tough shots under pressure. We all love Devin because he can hit those shots, but I imagine a Pop team would be getting better shots in those situations instead of relying on Devin’s ability to hit tough ones.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:36 pm
Rewatching this outside the euphoria of the moment, I see that exciting, awesome finish is really not that awesome.

We complain a lot about hero ball around here, but somehow the term never comes up when it’s working. Much of Devin’s fourth-quarter explosion was a product of hero ball. The last two possessions in particular, Devin was “Everybody get out of the way, I’m shooting this,” the Grizz knew he was shooting and defended him very well, and he took and hit tough shots under pressure. We all love Devin because he can hit those shots, but I imagine a Pop team would be getting better shots in those situations instead of relying on Devin’s ability to hit tough ones.
Agreed, with the caveat that Pops would have at least 3 guys on the floor that could hit the shot in the big moment and put into a better position to do so.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:

Devin has been at his best this season when he plays outside of the system. Even in that first game, his late scoring came when he took it on himself to create and make shots.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:32 pm
Cap wrote:

Devin has been at his best this season when he plays outside of the system. Even in that first game, his late scoring came when he took it on himself to create and make shots.
Then the system is broken. Those are the only games we've won.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:45 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:

A broken system is not the issue. Devin can't play that way all game, and probably wouldn't have even bothered in the 4th if we hadn't kept it close the rest of the game. Late game heroics by our best player is not a problem of our team. We need to get to a point where we can let him do that more often so he can close them out for us. Doesn't do any good when we are down by 20.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:

A broken system is not the issue. Devin can't play that way all game, and probably wouldn't have even bothered in the 4th if we hadn't kept it close the rest of the game. Late game heroics by our best player is not a problem of our team. We need to get to a point where we can let him do that more often so he can close them out for us. Doesn't do any good when we are down by 20.
Seems like we don't play well within the system.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:

Seems like we don't play well within the system.
We don't play well, period. We are one of the worst teams in the league. By some measures, we are by far the worst team in the league.

Is there a system you see that would make us competitive with the talent we have used so far? If you want to blame Igor for playing Anderson and Tyson and Ariza so much, that is fair. But we also don't know what factors are playing into that. We had reached a buy out with Tyson a while ago, but were playing him in hopes we could find a trade partner. Who knows what we promised Anderson to get him to give back 7 million dollars next year.