Suns News: Week 4 11/5-11/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Suns News: Week 4 11/5-11/11

Post by The Bobster »

They want to be held accountable?

Booker - try playing some defense sometime.
Ayton - try attacking the basket when you're in the lane, and being less passive when you're on the perimeter.

Improving the "culture" of the team starts with the coaching staff and the star players. Time to put up or shut up.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 am
Good! Glad they're embarrassed.
Being embarrassed over and over again hasn’t done much good so far, but maybe this time it will.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2520 ... oklyn-nets
"I think all good teams have that trust and chemistry, where they're able to get on each other and know that it's for a better purpose," Booker said. "For us, I don't think we have that right now. We're not comfortable with each other, we don't step on each other's toes, we don't push each other, and I think that's what we need to do."

Rookie center Deandre Ayton agreed with Booker and offered a solution to the issue.

"Know who to yell at, know who not to [yell] at," Ayton told AZCentral.com. "Know who to encourage. There's certain guys on the team -- you curse them out, you're basically cursing with them. That's what amps them up. Cuss me out. Like, why you not on me? Some guys, you have say, 'Come on man, let's go, let's go.'"
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The worries I had with Ayton last year and in preseason are still there. I wish he would try to dunk each time and attack the rim. I wish he would take people off the dribble and when left wide open, I wish he would bring it in the lane and make a decision, even make a move and attack the rim like you are angry at it. He is too finesse when he's out on the perimeter, and I would like to see him punish people for thinking they can guard him. Right now, if I could look like I'm 7 ft, I would do what Allen did last night and drop all the way back in the lane clogging the drives off of dho's and just dare him to shoot, because I know he's not going to challenge me and try to dunk it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 am
He is too finesse when he's out on the perimeter, and I would like to see him punish people for thinking they can guard him. Right now, if I could look like I'm 7 ft, I would do what Allen did last night and drop all the way back in the lane clogging the drives off of dho's and just dare him to shoot, because I know he's not going to challenge me and try to dunk it.
I would like to see him punish people for thinking they don’t even have to guard him. He’s got to hit that open J.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am
In2ition wrote:
He is too finesse when he's out on the perimeter, and I would like to see him punish people for thinking they can guard him. Right now, if I could look like I'm 7 ft, I would do what Allen did last night and drop all the way back in the lane clogging the drives off of dho's and just dare him to shoot, because I know he's not going to challenge me and try to dunk it.
I would like to see him punish people for thinking they don’t even have to guard him. He’s got to hit that open J.
I agree, and we know he can hit it, he was just a bit off last night. He didn't even try to rebound his own miss.

When they back off of you like that, you have a bit of a running start to the rim, why can't he start moving towards the rim and make a move, euro step or something to get himself to it? Then if he misses, he can get his own rebound. Right now, if he misses, which he did quite regularly, he doesn't even contest for the board.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am
Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am
In2ition wrote:
I agree, and we know he can hit it, he was just a bit off last night. He didn't even try to rebound his own miss.

When they back off of you like that, you have a bit of a running start to the rim, why can't he start moving towards the rim and make a move, euro step or something to get himself to it? Then if he misses, he can get his own rebound. Right now, if he misses, which he did quite regularly, he doesn't even contest for the board.
It seemed to me he took a lot of those shots out of rhythm and almost reluctantly, like he didn’t want to take the shot but knew he was supposed to. I think he needs to want that shot and take it with confidence when the D gives it to him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah. Ayton is more talented than I expected, but his isn't a game changer for us night in and night out. He takes what the defense gives, which is good, but he has to learn to attack.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think we're allowing him to be a gamechanger. I feel like we're running Utah Jazz sets when we should be running prime Tim Duncan Spurs sets.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Igor is the one that is having Ayton stand at the top of the 3 point line or 4 feet past the FT line, initiating the offense up top as some sort of body between the other players to allow them to shed a defender off of them and him make the hand off. I hate it. It's not Aytons fault. Igor needs to have offense initiate with Ayton in the post. If he's always getting the ball fed to him 20ft out, what do you guys expect him to do? How is he going to dominate in the paint and slam the ball over smaller players if the offense is calling for him to get the ball so far removed from the hoop that he has to pass it or launch a long jumpshot?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He could literally score everytime with a baby hook 3-5 ft from the basket. There aren't many who can match up with him in the post. He's got the feel and the touch and yet we never post him. We never PnR to get a mismatch in the post, and even when he has the ball at the top of the key not only is he not in a position to score, he's not even thinking about scoring.

Another thing that drives me crazy are the switches on D. I feel like he's always guarding a PG at the 3pt line which gives us no rim protection or advantage on the boards, especially when we have no PF. That's why I'd almost want to experiment with Holmes at the 4 next to Ayton. Just to see if there's a difference with a defensive, rebounding, high energy PF in the lineup and not Anderson, Warren or Ariza in that role.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If Gambo was ranting before, what did he do today? Is he still with us?
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:54 am
He could literally score everytime with a baby hook 3-5 ft from the basket. There aren't many who can match up with him in the post. He's got the feel and the touch and yet we never post him. We never PnR to get a mismatch in the post, and even when he has the ball at the top of the key not only is he not in a position to score, he's not even thinking about scoring.

Another thing that drives me crazy are the switches on D. I feel like he's always guarding a PG at the 3pt line which gives us no rim protection or advantage on the boards, especially when we have no PF. That's why I'd almost want to experiment with Holmes at the 4 next to Ayton. Just to see if there's a difference with a defensive, rebounding, high energy PF in the lineup and not Anderson, Warren or Ariza in that role.
In the few games I did watch, I feel like Ayton could really use some work on his post up footwork. He tries to bang the guy backwards and if they are as strong as him then he basically slides off and launches a running hook. He's quite accurate with it, but I wish he could be more creative and get himself closer to the rim with both creativity and power. I don't ever see him flying through the lane for a dunk Griffin style, or rising up over guys and powering the ball down Shaq style. I realize that he has a different physical profile than those guys but with his tools and body he should do more than simply catching lobs when there's nobody within 3 feet of him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Chandler basically admits he wasn't giving us his full effort.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Ayton would be a hell of a player if he had Amare's aggressiveness on offense.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Yeah we will see. He's a shell of himself.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 pm
Ayton would be a hell of a player if he had Amare's aggressiveness on offense.

Agree.
If the Suns had any brains ( :lol: :lol: ) they'd find Amare' and hire him to tutor Ayton.
Ayton already has a decent jumper, so it would be a matter of schooling him how to finish at the basket.
Inject some of Stoudemire's old "Hellboy" persona ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Yeah we will see. He's a shell of himself.
Well caught highlights of him doing his trademark tap out of offensive rebounds
I didn't watch the game but I've seen quite a few ppl on Twitter saying his D and Rebounding were key in the win hmmmm lol. I don't hate Tyson so if he plays motivated now well good for him but I know his pick n roll D been bad for a while and I'm glad my guy Holmes has the backup C position all to himself
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There was no future in keeping Chandler and he wasn't overly productive, plus they weren't going to get anything for him in trade so clearing the minutes for young players was the best way to go.

What he does from this point on doesn't really matter to me.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695