Suns News: Week 4 11/5-11/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: Week 4 11/5-11/11

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:54 am
He could literally score everytime with a baby hook 3-5 ft from the basket. There aren't many who can match up with him in the post. He's got the feel and the touch and yet we never post him. We never PnR to get a mismatch in the post, and even when he has the ball at the top of the key not only is he not in a position to score, he's not even thinking about scoring.

Another thing that drives me crazy are the switches on D. I feel like he's always guarding a PG at the 3pt line which gives us no rim protection or advantage on the boards, especially when we have no PF. That's why I'd almost want to experiment with Holmes at the 4 next to Ayton. Just to see if there's a difference with a defensive, rebounding, high energy PF in the lineup and not Anderson, Warren or Ariza in that role.
In the few games I did watch, I feel like Ayton could really use some work on his post up footwork. He tries to bang the guy backwards and if they are as strong as him then he basically slides off and launches a running hook. He's quite accurate with it, but I wish he could be more creative and get himself closer to the rim with both creativity and power. I don't ever see him flying through the lane for a dunk Griffin style, or rising up over guys and powering the ball down Shaq style. I realize that he has a different physical profile than those guys but with his tools and body he should do more than simply catching lobs when there's nobody within 3 feet of him.
Has anyone else noticed this? I don't think the Suns try to throw bounce passes to Ayton when they run a PnR with him rolling. Maybe I've missed it, but they've exclusively been trying to lob it to him. Let him roll, drive in for a jam, slip a screen, etc. Are we seeing a limitation that can be easily guarded against? If he's only going to roll and they are only going to try to lob it into him, you could just keep your body next to him close to the rim and keep him from getting full extension and vertical and therefore limiting his touches and lob opportunities. I'm not sure if this is totally the case, but it's been my observation of it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:19 am
pickle wrote:
ShelC wrote:
He could literally score everytime with a baby hook 3-5 ft from the basket. There aren't many who can match up with him in the post. He's got the feel and the touch and yet we never post him. We never PnR to get a mismatch in the post, and even when he has the ball at the top of the key not only is he not in a position to score, he's not even thinking about scoring.

Another thing that drives me crazy are the switches on D. I feel like he's always guarding a PG at the 3pt line which gives us no rim protection or advantage on the boards, especially when we have no PF. That's why I'd almost want to experiment with Holmes at the 4 next to Ayton. Just to see if there's a difference with a defensive, rebounding, high energy PF in the lineup and not Anderson, Warren or Ariza in that role.
In the few games I did watch, I feel like Ayton could really use some work on his post up footwork. He tries to bang the guy backwards and if they are as strong as him then he basically slides off and launches a running hook. He's quite accurate with it, but I wish he could be more creative and get himself closer to the rim with both creativity and power. I don't ever see him flying through the lane for a dunk Griffin style, or rising up over guys and powering the ball down Shaq style. I realize that he has a different physical profile than those guys but with his tools and body he should do more than simply catching lobs when there's nobody within 3 feet of him.
Has anyone else noticed this? I don't think the Suns try to throw bounce passes to Ayton when they run a PnR with him rolling. Maybe I've missed it, but they've exclusively been trying to lob it to him. Let him roll, drive in for a jam, slip a screen, etc. Are we seeing a limitation that can be easily guarded against? If he's only going to roll and they are only going to try to lob it into him, you could just keep your body next to him close to the rim and keep him from getting full extension and vertical and therefore limiting his touches and lob opportunities. I'm not sure if this is totally the case, but it's been my observation of it.
I've seen them try the bounce pass and it hits him in the knees, or he catches it low and the defender swipes it. I think they are being coached to throw the ball up and let him go get it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:36 am
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:
ShelC wrote:

I've seen them try the bounce pass and it hits him in the knees, or he catches it low and the defender swipes it. I think they are being coached to throw the ball up and let him go get it.
You're right, I've seen them throw horrible passes below his knees many times, and it's frustrating as hell. I'm talking about a decent bounce pass that comes up where he can catch it on the go. I think I've been spoiled by Nash and I'm still feeling the echos of that. I saw some nice bounce passes to other bigs around the league as they are rolling, but can't remember any decent ones to Ayton.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:24 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 pm
Ayton would be a hell of a player if he had Amare's aggressiveness on offense.

Agree.
If the Suns had any brains ( :lol: :lol: ) they'd find Amare' and hire him to tutor Ayton.
Ayton already has a decent jumper, so it would be a matter of schooling him how to finish at the basket.
Inject some of Stoudemire's old "Hellboy" persona ...
Great idea!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:36 am
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:
ShelC wrote:

You're right, I've seen them throw horrible passes below his knees many times, and it's frustrating as hell. I'm talking about a decent bounce pass that comes up where he can catch it on the go. I think I've been spoiled by Nash and I'm still feeling the echos of that. I saw some nice bounce passes to other bigs around the league as they are rolling, but can't remember any decent ones to Ayton.
Zion had a GREAT bounce pass the other night.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I can't imagine the damage Ayton could do with Nash. Amare was phenomenal with him and Ayton has more talent.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's a nice rant from Bickley. He says what a lot of us are feeling. Then, listening to James Jones, he's overly calm about the whole situation. That bothers me.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am
I can't imagine the damage Ayton could do with Nash. Amare was phenomenal with him and Ayton has more talent.
Amar’e was an offensive beast even when he was a rookie and LB was starting at PG.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Most are tired of Josh and his mindset/attitude is one of the main things often questioned but I'm glad to see this quote

“The game determines who is going to play, but that’s not what he controls. The game controls that and then you have to make decisions, but his response (Wednesday) was good. He came ready to practice and play and keep himself ready.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... db003a0e4e

for someone who keeps holding out hope that things turn around I took some positives from this article. as I don't think Josh just coached up on his PR skills and know to say the right things it is good that he is realizing he needs to slow down and pick his spots better. last game he had turnovers again but it wasn't head down dribbling into traffic, it was trying to force feed Ayton from a bad angle (yea another fundamental issue) but one step at a time :oops: :oops: lol.
will see how tonight goes as it is to the point where there is lil to no expectations on the forum for him on a game to game basis
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There was a point last year where Ayton took the training wheels off for UA and went nuts. I'm waiting for that to happen here.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
If we could replace Canaan with Nash in his prime right now, we would be a 60-win team this year.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Amar’e was an offensive beast even when he was a rookie and LB was starting at PG.
He had Marbury his first 1 1/2 seasons. LB started 46 games (as a rookie) in Amare's second season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
If we could replace Canaan with Nash in his prime right now, we would be a 60-win team this year.
Nah, this team doesn't shoot or defend well enough (or at all) to win 60 with Nash added.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 pm
Cap wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
He had Marbury his first 1 1/2 seasons. LB started 46 games (as a rookie) in Amare's second season.
Ah, right. We went to the playoffs his rookie year, and the blow-it-up-midseason thing was his second season. Thanks for catching that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 am
There was a point last year where Ayton took the training wheels off for UA and went nuts. I'm waiting for that to happen here.
Good to know.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO. Really, with the avatar?
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:32 pm
He looks like an incompetent dweeb, it fits.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
I give it two thumbs up...into my own eyes.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
LOL
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 pm
Superbone wrote:
I hope they were your thumbs at least... :?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.