Suns News: Week 4 11/5-11/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Suns News: Week 4 11/5-11/11

Post by AmareIsGod »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 pm
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:32 pm
TOO. Really, with the avatar?
He looks like an incompetent dweeb, it fits.
I give it two thumbs up...into my own eyes.
I hope they were your thumbs at least... :?
Hoping you aren't brown eyed.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If Sarver really wants to help this team out and make a positive change, he should invest and build a first class state of the art practice facility that the players would rave about and love going to and being at.

Right now, I think the Suns have the smallest locker room and practice court in the entire league. It's in the arena, so it's close to the offices, but it's not nearly even in the top half of the league and is kind of pathetic.

He's probably going to push for a new "Suns only" arena and hold the city of PHX hostage to get it downtown.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1060987181966245888

If this is true, Sarver should fire Jones. We're not in the business of helping other players and rival teams. And it's totally out of line for LeBron to contact Jones at all, and even more inappropriate (possibly illegal from a league standpoint) for Jones to speak with LeBron or one of his reps about our players that doesn't help us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm

If this is true, Sarver should fire Jones. We're not in the business of helping other players and rival teams. And it's totally out of line for LeBron to contact Jones at all, and even more inappropriate (possibly illegal from a league standpoint) for Jones to speak with LeBron or one of his reps about our players that doesn't help us.
Idk, I don't think it's that bad. He did us a favor imo. Was Tyson helping by being in the lineup or was he limiting the team and Holmes?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:21 pm
If Sarver really wants to help this team out and make a positive change, he should invest and build a first class state of the art practice facility that the players would rave about and love going to and being at.

Right now, I think the Suns have the smallest locker room and practice court in the entire league. It's in the arena, so it's close to the offices, but it's not nearly even in the top half of the league and is kind of pathetic.

He's probably going to push for a new "Suns only" arena and hold the city of PHX hostage to get it downtown.
I wish him the best with that. Nobody wants to assist in funding this sorry ass organization with anything.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

https://twitter.com/KellanOlson/status/1060986636702371840

I'm slightly concerned with Igor's tendency to throw players under the bus publicly (following on from the you can't coach effort etc). I'm all for him calling them to account behind closed doors but would rather he was supportive in public statements. Also the fact the players didn't foul doesn't reflect well on his ability to get a message across. Early days and not a big deal yet, but something to keep an eye on imo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 pm
ShelC wrote:

Idk, I don't think it's that bad. He did us a favor imo. Was Tyson helping by being in the lineup or was he limiting the team and Holmes?
So you're cool with our GM helping his friends/former teammates out, possibly at the expense of the org? Why not wait until the deadline and see if there's a market for Tyson? Maybe a team has an injury and needs a veteran for a playoff push. Maybe a team needs depth at center and we could've gotten something out of it. If this story is in fact true, it's totally unacceptable and makes our organization look even more like a clown show than it already is. What would be the penalty if Jones called up LeBron and said "Hey, see if your FO will trade us Rondo because we really need a PG".
Last edited by ShelC on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gladiator wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm slightly concerned with Igor's tendency to throw players under the bus publicly (following on from the you can't coach effort etc). I'm all for him calling them to account behind closed doors but would rather he was supportive in public statements. Also the fact the players didn't foul doesn't reflect well on his ability to get a message across. Early days and not a big deal yet, but something to keep an eye on imo.
Agreed all around.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gladiator wrote:

Agreed

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gladiator wrote:

It's a great way to "lose the players" and get yourself fired.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Igor isn't an NBA head coach. He's an assistant. This isn't the kind of stuff that should be new to him after 18 years in the NBA. He might do OK on a team of good veterans who are ready to play and win, but he isn't going to build this program.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I think he’s fine. I’ll reserve judgment of Igor when he’s playing with a full deck The team has no competent ball handlers to play the most important position in today’s game. The glaring hole at the one spot is an abyss the whole team has fallen into. I’m shocked that in lieu of a long term option the front office couldn’t have made a small move and trade for like Jeremy Lin or a Beverley or Teodosic. The suns defense would improve alone by virtue of having a better offense that leads to better shots and less turnovers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm
Igor isn't an NBA head coach. He's an assistant. This isn't the kind of stuff that should be new to him after 18 years in the NBA. He might do OK on a team of good veterans who are ready to play and win, but he isn't going to build this program.
I'm going to wait more than 10 games before I make that assessment. He's a first time head coach. He's still learning in that regard too. Let's give him a little time and see if he can get it together before we kick him to the curb. I know it's very disappointing so far as we all had high hopes. All are valid issues but let's not be so hasty.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This game was definitely a learning experience for all involved. Let's hope we never have a communication breakdown of such a large scale ever again. Inexcusable for coach and players to be so far disconnected coming out of a timeout for the last 7 seconds of a game.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:

Agreed, he has to be fired immediately if this is what happened.

Even if Tyson was doing nothing for us, something like that cannot be allowed to happen. And even if Tyson was just sitting on the bench, he still could have helped mentor Ayton until February.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Not sure why all the hand-wringing about Tyson Chandler leaving the Suns and going to the Lakers.

He was contributing little here; his legs were gone and could barely defend.
He was never an offensive threat.
As far as mentoring Ayton, Chandler was more of a hindrance than help to Len.

Suns are lucky to be rid of him now, rather than trying to wait until later in the year.e
And the move to LA helps him more than the Lakers (he's closer to family, now).

Get a grip.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not the point at all.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:04 am
Not sure why all the hand-wringing about Tyson Chandler leaving the Suns and going to the Lakers.

He was contributing little here; his legs were gone and could barely defend.
He was never an offensive threat.
As far as mentoring Ayton, Chandler was more of a hindrance than help to Len.

Suns are lucky to be rid of him now, rather than trying to wait until later in the year.e
And the move to LA helps him more than the Lakers (he's closer to family, now).

Get a grip.
It's less about him leaving and more about players being able to directly call up our supposed GM and influence him into a transaction. I am not hugely upset about it, but it does worry me that Jones probably isn't qualified to be an NBA GM if he actually takes calls from players and lets them alter his behavior in his job.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I'm not a proponent of doing favors for the Lakers, but Chandler had to go -- the sooner, the better.

Jones hasn't done much of anything else, so I'm inclined to wait and see what sorts of steps or missteps he makes.

The real problem remains Sarver.
Unless he sells, or willingly gives control with a long leash to a savvy basketball person, the Suns are screwed.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:21 am
I'm not a proponent of doing favors for the Lakers, but Chandler had to go -- the sooner, the better.

Jones hasn't done much of anything else, so I'm inclined to wait and see what sorts of steps or missteps he makes.

The real problem remains Sarver.
Unless he sells, or willingly gives control with a long leash to a savvy basketball person, the Suns are screwed.
Yep. Until Sarver sells this team is going to suck, period. No matter who we bring in or draft, this team will be horrible. History speaks for itself.