Game Day: Celtics (6-4) @ Suns (2-8), Thurs 11/8/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Celtics (6-4) @ Suns (2-8), Thurs 11/8/18

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm
We're gonna blow this aren't we?
<sigh>
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Suns folded like a tortilla late in the fourth. I have seen it so many times throughout the years. It reminds me of football when one team is up and they go into pass prevent mode and the other team just marches down the field after being defended well for the whole game.

Trying to milk the clock with 4 minutes left is a great way to lose a game.

Other then them foldng like a tortilla in the fourth they played well for 3 1/2 quarters. Warren just won his starting job back. Booker played great too but tried to do too much in the end. Ayton is great but needs work, especially defensively. He was helping double team Irving in the end of the fourth and when Irvin made his move Ayton parted the red seas for him and let him go untouched to the rim. He lets guys go by him without even teying to stop them often.
Last edited by Nodack on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm
This isn't fun.
What do you mean? It was a total blast. Did you forget to turn it off after 3 quarters? Oh, yeah. Me too. Love a surprise ending.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm
To much trying to milk the clock down the stretch, the failure to foul on the last possession of regulation, and Boston just heating up after shooting miserably the rest of the game lost this one for the Suns before they even played the overtime.
Yup.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not fouling on the final possession of regulation was really dumb. I just saw the Igor post where he said they were told to foul. I guess they decided on their own not to or they forgot...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I also watched this on delay. That crunch time was excruciating and so avoidable. Close with Bridges to guard Kyrie! Don't play Ryan Anderson for 9 straight second half minutes! And FFS FOUL!! That's coaching 101.

But you guys covered it all. I do want to point out that that Ayton is an absolutely atrocious defender with a combination of poor defensive awareness and effort that is frankly embarrassing from a player as highly touted as he was (and one who compares himself to KG). Now, he's already showed in spurts that he can solve the effort part, but he'll go entire games without it and the awareness is nowhere close to NBA ready. It needs to be corrected fast.

There was a play in overtime where he and Canaan both ended up on Irving on the 3 point-line, foul-line extended. Ayton was closer to the baseline. He literally walked away from Irving WHILE HE HAD THE BALL and practically screened Canaan in the process. While he did it he pointed to the baseline for someone to cover Irving (as he was waltzing to the rim) but of course no one was there. I'm not sure I've seen anything like it before.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Here's the gem i was talking about:

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Man, I wish I had hope for the future so I could endure those frustrating losses. But neither Igor nor the players we have, deliver the high expectations we had in the offseason. We are all washed up.
So what to do from now on?

1- Tank?
2- Trade your future for a mediocre PG.
3- Fire Igor?
4- ??
Every option is worse than the other. We are doomed indeed.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 pm
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm
And the home crowd gives the away team a great ovation. What a time to be alive.
That's what happens when the home team disappoints spectacularly on a regular basis.
You can thank Boobhead Sarver for reducing the franchise to the level of an NBA joke.
and if we DO fix the PG situation, this team is a contender. Fix this...we're in contention...instantly. Effort is a question too...but I really believe a facilitator would change that up too.

We NEED a PG.
Unless that PG is Steph Curry there is absolutely no way this is true

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We need a pg. It won’t come until next season imo. This season it is what it is.

The loss stung but they came uber close to beating Boston. Nobody before the game thought that would be a remote possibility. Give them a little credit. Things aren’t that bad.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Suns were once again the laughing stock on Inside the NBA tonight. Then Ayton was featured on Shaqtin’ A Fool for getting nutmegged 3 times. Good times.
"Be Legendary."

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

I know everybody is in love with Ayton, but he needs to grow a pair and be an intimidator. For all his flaws, I saw Chriss alter shot by his lone presence because people knew he would jump on them and get the monster block. I don't see enough aggressivity in DeAndre.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Gladiator wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 pm

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1060759016224120832

wow

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 pm
Igor is utilizing Ayton like some finesse Euro big man 25ft out, setting screens and dancing around the top of the key and 3 point line. I don't think he knows how to utilize a dominant physical specimen like Ayton.
This is brutal for us and I'm sure it is for the player too. An engaged Ayton is a monster and you are marginalizing him. Who is going to stop this guy when he is close to the basket?!?! This is a huge problem and I can't wrap my mind around why it's happening.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 am
Suns were once again the laughing stock on Inside the NBA tonight. Then Ayton was featured on Shaqtin’ A Fool for getting nutmegged 3 times. Good times.
This actually crossed my mind y'day that here we go again with Suns playing on a TNT night.
In the 4th quarter I was like "wow we gonna win" and started wondering if they will give us props or just say Celtics were looking ahead to Jazz.
Oh well
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

carey

Post by carey »

I'm so depressed about the Suns. I feel like completely tuning the team out.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

carey wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 am
I'm so depressed about the Suns. I feel like completely tuning the team out.
I'm already there. Watching them from afar is less heartbreaking and frustrating

Indy

Post by Indy »

Xylus wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm
I’m not sure I’m emotionally prepared for the inevitable choke job in the 2nd quarter
If only it was just the 2nd quarter and not the last 5 minutes of the game plus over time. Ughh. FOUL THE GUY! YOU ARE UP BY 3!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

My feeling about this game is that we didn't really play any different. The box score looked different for the first 3.5 quarters, but our effort and awareness were the same. Defense was awful the whole game, Boston just missed a bunch of wide open shots. We played smart-ish within the offense for the most part while things were easy and we had the lead. Even when we were up 18 we were getting out worked. As soon as Boston put any pressure on us we gave up on passing and moving without the ball and just sat back to watch Booker play. If the Celtics had made their shots in the first quarter, we would have quit then and been blown out by 20+ again. There really wasn't anything different in this game.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I would agree that the Suns' lead was mostly because of the Celtics' terrible offense early on and the lack of defense by Boston until crunch time.

Of course T.J. Warren was out of his mind for the entire first quarter or the Suns never would have had that lead.

Disappointingly, the Suns didn't have any answers when the Celtics dialed up their defensive effort. The response was running down the shot clock and then hoping Booker could create something. Which over the long run is a recipe for disaster.

It would also be nice to see something other than the 1940's Harlem Globetrotters weave they run along with their post scorer setting picks 25 feet from the basket.

And to not foul on that last play of regulation is unforgivable.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695