Game Day: Celtics (6-4) @ Suns (2-8), Thurs 11/8/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Game Day: Celtics (6-4) @ Suns (2-8), Thurs 11/8/18

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am
Disappointingly, the Suns didn't have any answers when the Celtics dialed up their defensive effort. The response was running down the shot clock and then hoping Booker could create something. Which over the long run is a recipe for disaster.
It’s what I said about the Memphis win. In crunch time we had nothing to go to but hero ball, but Devin heroically made the hero ball work so we called it a great win and something to build on. It wasn’t.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm
Nice to see us run 1 play for Ayton the ENTIRE 2nd half. Are YOU KIDDING ME!!??!!

Meanwhile Canaan shoots 14 times with 7 points. Hey Igor, you have a dominant 7ft+ player. USE HIM. And you should have had Bridges on Kyrie in the 4th and OT. WTF are you thinking?
This is what was killing me, especially in the 4th quarter. How does Canaan take more shots than Ayton with the game on the line? There were more than a few times I thought Ayton had great position, and Canaan just simply did not get him the ball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

rhylek wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:21 am
I know everybody is in love with Ayton, but he needs to grow a pair and be an intimidator. For all his flaws, I saw Chriss alter shot by his lone presence because people knew he would jump on them and get the monster block. I don't see enough aggressivity in DeAndre.
I like it. A new word. Aggressivity: aggressive activity.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

One of the worst things about this whole thing was that the coach says the strategy was to foul but the players weren't on the same page.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That still falls on the coach.

Really trying to stay positive and keep an open mind. I know we're only 10-11 games in but Igor isn't impressing me too much.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 am
That still falls on the coach.

Really trying to stay positive and keep an open mind. I know we're only 10-11 games in but Igor isn't impressing me too much.
If he says you need to foul if you can to prevent a 3, but don't foul them while shooting, how is that on him that they didn't? I mean, Morris stood there with his back to the basket for 2 seconds and nobody touched him.

My only concern with Igor so far is his substitutions, which I think are getting a lot better. I am sure he was asked to play Tyson. And probably the same for Anderson to see if we can find a taker.

The fact that we can't throw Ayton a pass unless he is standing near the 3 point line is not on Igor. It is on both the passer and Ayton. He needs to seal better, and we need to get guys that can get their big man the ball. Not wait until he is in the lane for 2.5 seconds and then throw him the ball in a spot he has to fight for. That just wastes his time, and he has to hurry.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Suns with another embarrassing loss but did it in a way no one would predict. Glad i didnt watch this until the next morning.

I'll never understand why Igor has so much faith in a D League PG coming off a major injury. Indefensible.

Igor played not to lose in the final for 4 mins rather than play to win. My patience is wearing thin with him.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am
My only concern with Igor so far is his substitutions, which I think are getting a lot better. I am sure he was asked to play Tyson. And probably the same for Anderson to see if we can find a taker.
PHX was the taker (of course, we sent out equal garbage). He had no business ever getting more than 15mpg (let alone starting, not to mention playing a whole quarter) to see if he can make a couple of shots.
The fact that we can't throw Ayton a pass unless he is standing near the 3 point line is not on Igor. It is on both the passer and Ayton. He needs to seal better, and we need to get guys that can get their big man the ball. Not wait until he is in the lane for 2.5 seconds and then throw him the ball in a spot he has to fight for. That just wastes his time, and he has to hurry.
True about the passing, but if we are going to turn the ball over (and we totally are), just do it trying to get your beast involved where he can do the most damage. Slow things down, feed the man, get him his and I'm sure we'll see better involvement on defense. Really, Ayton's mental engagement has been (rightfully) questioned and if things remain the same it is a matter of time before he picks up bad habits.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’ve seen Ayton get great position on a mismatch multiple times early in the possession and the guards aren’t even looking. That’s all coaching. You demand them to get him the ball. If they look him off, you sit them. Too many me-first players on this team. Respect the big man, respect the talent.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My thoughts:

During the game, I was opening questioning why Igor wasn't playing Bridges more, and it bit him in the backside at the end too. Maybe they ran out of gas, but that's part of Igor's problem not subbing guys out like he was supposed to do. Also, they needed to get those rebounds and seemed like the Celtics wanted it more. They crapped the bed, and didn't want to lose, instead of wanting to win. They shouldn't devolve into just Booker doing everything, that's a recipe for disaster, not that Booker can't do that, but no one can do it every time.

On that last play of Boston's, he should have had Bridges and Jackson in for Ayton and Canaan. There was no need to for Ayton's non-existent rim protecting, and they just needed to use all those wings for what they can do.
Next, they needed to foul on the catch. Morris caught it with his back to the basket, this was a perfect time to foul him and put him to the line.
Next, they were supposed to switch. If that happens, of course Kyrie takes the shot, and doesn't pass it, but instead Canaan has another brain fart and sticks to Kyrie(or Booker didn't tell him that the handoff was coming and to switch).
Lastly, Ayton was supposed to rotate over to Morris as soon as it looked like Canaan wasn't switching, but instead of doing that, he was floating toward the lane. WTF are you trying to protect the rim when you are up by 3 pts? Let them make a f'n layup, just don't let them make a 3 or foul on the 3 pt try.

We all knew that they were going to lose in OT, they had to win in regulation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:09 pm
My thoughts:

During the game, I was opening questioning why Igor wasn't playing Bridges more, and it bit him in the backside at the end too. Maybe they ran out of gas, but that's part of Igor's problem not subbing guys out like he was supposed to do. Also, they needed to get those rebounds and seemed like the Celtics wanted it more. They crapped the bed, and didn't want to lose, instead of wanting to win. They shouldn't devolve into just Booker doing everything, that's a recipe for disaster, not that Booker can't do that, but no one can do it every time.

On that last play of Boston's, he should have had Bridges and Jackson in for Ayton and Canaan. There was no need to for Ayton's non-existent rim protecting, and they just needed to use all those wings for what they can do.
Next, they needed to foul on the catch. Morris caught it with his back to the basket, this was a perfect time to foul him and put him to the line.
Next, they were supposed to switch. If that happens, of course Kyrie takes the shot, and doesn't pass it, but instead Canaan has another brain fart and sticks to Kyrie(or Booker didn't tell him that the handoff was coming and to switch).
Lastly, Ayton was supposed to rotate over to Morris as soon as it looked like Canaan wasn't switching, but instead of doing that, he was floating toward the lane. WTF are you trying to protect the rim when you are up by 3 pts? Let them make a f'n layup, just don't let them make a 3 or foul on the 3 pt try.

We all knew that they were going to lose in OT, they had to win in regulation.
Yes to all of it. Shocking that someone who's been called a "basketball genius" (that phrase again...) was not looking every player in the eye and telling them to foul at the first opportunity. Morris gave us 2 solid seconds of opportunity. And like you said, we have all of these "switch everything" wings and 2 of them were sitting on the bench during a critical defensive possession.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I can't believe we didn't take advantage when Morris was playing center for a decent stretch and Ayton was in. Not once!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
During the game, I was opening questioning why Igor wasn't playing Bridges more, and it bit him in the backside at the end too.
You're so right. We win that game if Bridges played the last 6 minutes of regulation instead of Canaan. We couldn't get a stop to save our lives.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
During the game, I was opening questioning why Igor wasn't playing Bridges more, and it bit him in the backside at the end too.
You're so right. We win that game if Bridges played the last 6 minutes of regulation instead of Canaan. We couldn't get a stop to save our lives.
Absolutely. What happened to Booker playing point guard in crunch time? Why have Canaan in there?

Igor actually said that even in overtime, he wanted to stick with the guys who brought him there!!! The ones who lost a big lead in order to get them to overtime???
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Absolutely. What happened to Booker playing point guard in crunch time? Why have Canaan in there?

Igor actually said that even in overtime, he wanted to stick with the guys who brought him there!!! The ones who lost a big lead in order to get them to overtime???
I agree, the whole offense was running through Devin, it doesn't make sense to have Canaan when it's been established quite clearly in earlier games how well Bridges plays off of Booker in crunch time. It probably wouldn't have come down to the last possession if Bridges was subbed in for Canaan.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am
rhylek wrote:
I know everybody is in love with Ayton, but he needs to grow a pair and be an intimidator. For all his flaws, I saw Chriss alter shot by his lone presence because people knew he would jump on them and get the monster block. I don't see enough aggressivity in DeAndre.
Excuse my english :lol:
It doesn't seem like a new word but maybe aggressiveness is more used/appropriate?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

rhylek wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am
rhylek wrote:
Excuse my english :lol:
It doesn't seem like a new word but maybe aggressiveness is more used/appropriate?
No, I'm serious. It may be an accident but it's a great mashup and perfect for describing what we want out of Ayton. I'm going to start using it if you don't mind. Don't worry. I will attribute it to you when it gets added to Webster's dictionary. :D

ETA: Apparently it's already a word used in psychoanalysis:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/aggressivity

(Psychoanalysis) the state or quality of being aggressive
"Be Legendary."