Game Day: Suns (2-9) @ Pelicans (5-6), Sat 11/10/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Xylus

Re: Game Day: Suns (2-9) @ Pelicans (5-6), Sat 11/10/18

Post by Xylus »

I wonder if Sarver knows how much Suns fans hate him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Xylus wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 pm
I wonder if Sarver knows how much Suns fans hate him.
Yeah I keep wondering the same thing. Somebody needs to tell him. Lol.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Our defense is just horrendous. I wish we would bring in another defense-oriented assistant or something. It's a major problem area for this team. I don't know what Coachoskov is doing to prepare them on that end, but I do wonder if maybe he's more of an offense-first coach stuck with a roster that isn't going to be able to score enough points to make up for its awful defense.

carey

Post by carey »

Woof. Jrue ate Booker's lunch.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Have to get more than 12 points from your max contract player

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Kudos to those who have predicted a win tonight :) They got it right.
We got to the point where players will blame each other for this mess. What is the point to continue this shit, you ain't gonna develop anything positive. Time to change something, the coach or the players Does not matter to me what. But something has to change.
Last edited by Democritus on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

No Ryan Anderson - good.
What’s up with aytons lack of rim protection. Is it an awareness thing or trying to save fouls? It looks like he was making no attempt which the coach simply can’t allow. He has spurts of good defense In other games but if it’s just effort then it’s also on coach to make an example if necessary. Just follow Holmes example.
Ayton has a really good offense stretch in the 3rd but then we didn’t keep looking for him in the 4th? Instead booker players angry and keeps trying to take on holiday and had his pants pulled down. Why not post up booker or run him off some screens. It as painful to watch them try the same crap over and over. we faded back into 4th quarter let booker do everything

I am all for letting Okobo start and letting him learn through his mistakes. I’m starting to like his potential.

Some decent lineups of Multiple wings and Ayton tonight. But you can’t pay all Bench guys and not one of Ayton booker or T.J. as others have said. They just don’t have the offense to mount a comeback.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Ayton played great in the 3rd. I like what EJ was saying he was the voice of reason; that the game will slow down for Ayton at some point.

In terms of Booker getting clamped down by Jrue, it’s the personnel surrounding him, the Suns are just obvious and inconsistent in their scheme. Plus the pieces don’t know how to fit together and probably won’t without a better PG.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Has Ayton had any game this season in which he played well or put up good #s BEFORE the game got out of hand?

I’ll check the advanced metrics in the morning but I’m gonna guess he’s one of the worst 1st quarter and maybe even 1st half players in the league.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

This has gotta change. Canaan/Booker/Bridges/Warren/Ayton lineup has got to get some burn.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

n4th4n wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:12 pm
Ayton comes in and immediately gives up an offensive rebound to Randle off the free throw miss.
Randle just shoved him out of the way. Ayton doesn’t know how to block out.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:03 am
Has Ayton had any game this season in which he played well or put up good #s BEFORE the game got out of hand?

I’ll check the advanced metrics in the morning but I’m gonna guess he’s one of the worst 1st quarter and maybe even 1st half players in the league.
I would say the mavs and Celtics games. In his defense part of it he teammates not getting him touches early

I’m not ready so say he’s putting up Brandon Knight style empty stats yet. But I’m keen to see what research shows.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:12 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:03 am

I would say the mavs and Celtics games. In his defense part of it he teammates not getting him touches early

I’m not ready so say he’s putting up Brandon Knight style empty stats yet. But I’m keen to see what research shows.
Yup, I thought of the same two games when he asked that question.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe we should try establishing our big man in the post at the start of the game, get some easy baskets, maybe get opposing big men in trouble, open up the perimeter for our shooters BEFORE the game gets out of hand? Maybe the game gets out of hand because we play 4-round and have our guys taking long jumpers which lead to long rebounds which lead to layups on the other end.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

[tweet][/tweet]

Plays like this are just completely unacceptable. Especially when you see how someone like Wendel Carter Jr is playing on the defensive end. Being a rookie is no excuse.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

n4th4n wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:57 am
[tweet][/tweet]

Plays like this are just completely unacceptable. Especially when you see how someone like Wendel Carter Jr is playing on the defensive end. Being a rookie is no excuse.
Effort and Ayton are like oil and water.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

All scouting reports without exception said that Ayton lacks effort and awareness in the defensive end. So I'm not suprised at all. He is what he is. It is not on him. Its on McD who should have chosen Doncic instead.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Man, Randle would have been a great target to go after. He's just the kind of PF we need next to Ayton. Maybe his effort and will would have rubbed off on Ayton.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Democritus wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 am
All scouting reports without exception said that Ayton lacks effort and awareness in the defensive end. So I'm not suprised at all. He is what he is. It is not on him. Its on McD who should have chosen Doncic instead.
Because Doncic is a defensive terror.

He must be because other than that, Ayton has better numbers so far.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 pm
Democritus wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 am
Because Doncic is a defensive terror.

He must be because other than that, Ayton has better numbers so far.
Your wing does not have to protect the paint and the rim as your so-called "Generational Center" who only watches the guards who are half of his size passing by for an easy layup or dunk. A modern center must be a defensive juggernaut to have any significant impact on the game today.
Last edited by Democritus on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.