Game Day: Suns (2-10) @ Thunder (7-5), Mon 11/12/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Game Day: Suns (2-10) @ Thunder (7-5), Mon 11/12/18

Post by UglyTruth »

It’s just times that we have to buckle up,” the rookie 7-footer said. “Everybody, including the coaching staff, needs to see what we have and see what’s working for us instead of just throwing stuff out there that’s not really helping. Can’t pamper nobody. Just got to really go out there and play and whatever works for us, leave it out there on the floor. That’s it.”

https://t.co/fbQ6mz43hc
This seems like a shot at Kokoskov by Ayton. Almost like a rebuttal for Kokoskov saying Ayton starts off games too passively (which he does).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A lot of these quotes are unsettling to be honest. I tend to believe where there's smoke there's fire and I don't think there's a lot of synergy right now between the coaches and the players - or maybe some coaches and some players. Things clearly aren't working and when a team is consistently losing by 20+ every night, it's a sign of larger issues.

Still giving things time and hoping for the best. Not calling Ayton a bust or saying Igor needs to be fired but the team needs to get to the bottom of this.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:05 am
A lot of these quotes are unsettling to be honest. I tend to believe where there's smoke there's fire and I don't think there's a lot of synergy right now between the coaches and the players - or maybe some coaches and some players. Things clearly aren't working and when a team is consistently losing by 20+ every night, it's a sign of larger issues.

Still giving things time and hoping for the best. Not calling Ayton a bust or saying Igor needs to be fired but the team needs to get to the bottom of this.
Fire Sarver and roll from there. :cry:

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm
Watching Canaan and Ariza shooting 3's is the best.
Booker has taken 30 more 3s that Canaan, and only made 10 more. Ariza has made the same # as Booker, and taken a few less. Our problems are much deeper than not having an upgrade at PG. Our "best" player seems to be fine not even watching his guy on defense, and is shooting 3s worse than ever (and below league average). 95 guys have already taken at least 50 3s. Booker is 63rd on that list in %.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

So much negativity here. Is TJ's 3 point shooting the only bright side this season? We really hit rock bottom. We have been dissolved into useless pieces which no one can bring together. The only thing worse than our current situation would be moving the Suns to Las Vegas.
Poor Igor. He sure wishes now to be in Salt Lake City.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Democritus wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 am
So much negativity here. Is TJ's 3 point shooting the only bright side this season? We really hit rock bottom. We have been dissolved into useless pieces which no one can bring together. The only thing worse than our current situation would be moving the Suns to Las Vegas.
Poor Igor. He sure wishes now to be in Salt Lake City.
Bridges is fun to watch.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:22 am
Booker has taken 30 more 3s that Canaan, and only made 10 more. Ariza has made the same # as Booker, and taken a few less. Our problems are much deeper than not having an upgrade at PG. Our "best" player seems to be fine not even watching his guy on defense, and is shooting 3s worse than ever (and below league average). 95 guys have already taken at least 50 3s. Booker is 63rd on that list in %.
Thats great, but this has much more to do with my distaste of watching treadmill trash on my favorite basketball team.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:54 am
It’s just times that we have to buckle up,” the rookie 7-footer said. “Everybody, including the coaching staff, needs to see what we have and see what’s working for us instead of just throwing stuff out there that’s not really helping. Can’t pamper nobody. Just got to really go out there and play and whatever works for us, leave it out there on the floor. That’s it.”

https://t.co/fbQ6mz43hc
This seems like a shot at Kokoskov by Ayton. Almost like a rebuttal for Kokoskov saying Ayton starts off games too passively (which he does).
Yeah, I saw that quote and thought that Ayton is throwing Igor under the bus because Igor threw Ayton under the bus. This is not a good way to start things off, lol. But Igor has been blaming the players all season, which is not something that is typically seen as appropriate in the NBA (maybe they do that in Europe?). Coaches are expected to take responsibility for the poor performance of their teams in public, and leave the other stuff for private conversations.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am
Indy wrote:
Thats great, but this has much more to do with my distaste of watching treadmill trash on my favorite basketball team.
How is Ariza exempt from your sig?

Especially if what Gambo said today about him not caring anymore because he knows he’s getting traded is true. Gambo cited a Suns coach as his source but it’s Gambo so idk.

Cap

Post by Cap »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 pm
Indy wrote:

Especially if what Gambo said today about him not caring anymore because he knows he’s getting traded is true. Gambo cited a Suns coach as his source but it’s Gambo so idk.
Veteran leadership!

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 pm
Indy wrote:

Honestly just didnt wanna make a wall of text.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How would Ariza already know he's getting traded? And why would any team want this iteration of Ariza for $15m? I guess he'd be part of some larger trade, maybe?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:36 pm
How would Ariza already know he's getting traded? And why would any team want this iteration of Ariza for $15m? I guess he'd be part of some larger trade, maybe?
I think most teams assume he's doing what Chandler did here which is just not care till getting traded. He will probably be an elite role player once he leaves Phoenix just like he was last season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It's a 1 year deal. The amount of money means nothing except for getting contracts equal

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:25 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 pm
How can the FO just let the Roster stay like this? Get a PG, what’s the point of signing Booker to a max deal when he’ll demand a trade and leave. Players aren’t going to suffer long like this. Things have changed now.
Nobody here was interested in Schroder but he would have been way better at point for us than anything we’ve got.
True, but with Schroeder you are also taking on three things that hurt the big picture:

1. Major off-the-court red flag
2. Undesirable contract
3. struggles from long range

Schroeder is an improvement over what we have, but that is more of a short-term fix and isn't the kind of acquisition that helps to build a contender.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:51 am
Superbone wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
How can the FO just let the Roster stay like this? Get a PG, what’s the point of signing Booker to a max deal when he’ll demand a trade and leave. Players aren’t going to suffer long like this. Things have changed now.
Nobody here was interested in Schroder but he would have been way better at point for us than anything we’ve got.
If Wall gets traded and does better for him and his new team elsewhere then we will soon be able to say this about him as well.
Nah. Wall has durability issues, the worst contract in the league, and he is part of the problem in Washington. I don't care what stats he puts up, he isn't getting a team anywhere noteworthy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
True, but with Schroeder you are also taking on three things that hurt the big picture:

1. Major off-the-court red flag
2. Undesirable contract
3. struggles from long range

Schroeder is an improvement over what we have, but that is more of a short-term fix and isn't the kind of acquisition that helps to build a contender.
Ok, INF. What would you do with this team? Pretend you’re interviewing for the GM position.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In-season? Come December, open the trade flood gates. Look to reboot the roster using Ariza, Jackson, Holmes, the Milwaukee pick, Troy Daniels, and the 2019 second rounder.

I think we'll have to wait until December and January for the trade market to open up.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 pm
In-season? Come December, open the trade flood gates. Look to reboot the roster using Ariza, Jackson, Holmes, the Milwaukee pick, Troy Daniels, and the 2019 second rounder.

I think we'll have to wait until December and January for the trade market to open up.

Unless its salary dumps, I'm not sure any of this will carry much value. Do the Suns try to take other teams trash and make it their reclamation project after flopping with Jackson? I have no faith in this team for that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was all over Schroder in June (others were dismissive) and would still take him in a heartbeat. He'd make for a dynamic backcourt with Booker, good size, length and speed. Is his shooting any worse than what we have? I don't think he's a bad shooter so much as he takes bad shots, which can be fixed. He's a floor general, still young but also a vet. And his contract is 15 per over the next two seasons which is fine. Everyone talks about contracts and money owed but in the end, you gotta pay someone. I'd rather pay Schroder 15mil than Ariza or Anderson that money, or Wall or Conley 35mil. We gotta get over this "they make too much" mentality with certain guys.

As for his legal issues, it's bad but wouldn't call it a major red flag. Not ideal, but not a dealbreaker IMO.