Game Day: Spurs (7-5) @ Suns (2-11), Wed 11/14/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Game Day: Spurs (7-5) @ Suns (2-11), Wed 11/14/18

Post by JeremyG »

Turning the ball over on purpose does not sound like a winning game plan. :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 pm
At least not in the short term. I guess if you are 15-20 points up, and they become dead ball turnovers, the amount of damage is minimized and if it's to prove a point and fix a problem, it could work out in the long term if they get on the same page.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:27 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 pm
At least not in the short term. I guess if you are 15-20 points up, and they become dead ball turnovers, the amount of damage is minimized and if it's to prove a point and fix a problem, it could work out in the long term if they get on the same page.
Yeah, I would hope he wouldn't do that if we were down 10!
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:09 am
Who had TJ as our next 50/40/90 guy after Steve, and not Booker?
I think Devin's too much of a volume scorer to ever go 50/40/90.

Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:25 pm
Gosh Jackson, accidentally good.
:lol: Post of the day. It's like cable Josh vs DirecTV Josh
#SarverOut

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:18 pm
Indy wrote:
Yep. He would only do it on a team as stacked as the Warriors.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Yep. He would only do it on a team as stacked as the Warriors.
But that is not how we were all talking about him his rookie year and even into his 2nd.

Booker has actually never been in any of those clubs. I was a bit surprised to see that when I looked it up. Never at 50% FG, never at 40% 3P%, never at 90% FT%. Fully expected the FG% to be lower, but really surprised he never cracked 90% from the line. Not even close, really.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:17 am
Did any of you catch that a few of the TOs by Booker, was just him proving a point to the guys on where they are supposed to be on the floor with spacing? He threw some bad passes that went out of bounds and then you would see him yell at the guys. I know most of us were thinking that Booker was being an a-hole, but Jackson said that he was proving a point with those. I know this isn't all of his turnovers, as he lost the ball when trying to create for himself too, but this is kind of interesting. The reporter than asked Booker about it and he admitted that it's true on a few of them.

I'm kind of encouraged about this, if this is actually true. Eventually, the guys will figure it out and be in the right places to score and this won't be a problem. This will also help Booker out and create more room for him to get things done.
Maybe I need to go back and watch all 7 of them again, but I saw mostly him being careless.
Per
Josh Jackson shines in blowout of Spurs; Suns gain a glimpse of what is possible
https://theathletic.com/656557/2018/11/ ... -possible/
The Suns played with an energy that has been missing too often, especially at the start of games. Booker seemed intent on getting other players involved more than carrying the scoring load and finished with a career-best 12 assists. He also had seven turnovers, but Jackson said there was a message being delivered with some of those balls that sailed to places where there was no teammate waiting.

“One of the things he’s really been trying to show a lot of the guys on the team is the right spots to be in,” Jackson said. “Sometimes Devin, he’ll make a pass and it will be a turnover, and he does it to prove a point to a guy sometimes — to show them, ‘Hey, that’s where you’re supposed to be. That’s the open spot.’

“So, I think guys were just clicking. They were in the right spots at the right time. He’s an amazing player, and defenders respect him so much and he’s unselfish. So when he sees open guys, he’s going to get the ball to them.”

Booker didn’t deny that he took a few turnovers to send a message.

“A few times,” he said, with just a hint of a smile. “Just getting on the same page. But you know, it’s just knowing basketball, knowing basketball actions; time, score and possession, personnel. So when I’m bringing the ball up the floor, all of that is going through my head.

“But getting everybody on the same page is what I need to work on, being a leader. I think they saw it (against the Spurs); if you’re in the right spot, I’m going to make sure you get the ball and then we’re all going to be successful and winning games. So just making the right play.”

Booker said Jackson usually does that.

“Josh, being as talented as he is and accepting that role coming off the bench and coming out and performing night in and night out is very important,” Booker said. “I’ve always said since we drafted him, just his instincts for the game are unbelievable. He goes out there and he can defend, he can be that spark scoring if our offense isn’t going.”
I wasn't doubting someone said it--just doubting the validity.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Can somebody get on it and make a "Gosh Jackson" photoshop image? :) Good stuff.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Then his value is limited. Efficiency is more important than volume scoring.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:18 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Did any of you catch that a few of the TOs by Booker, was just him proving a point to the guys on where they are supposed to be on the floor with spacing? He threw some bad passes that went out of bounds and then you would see him yell at the guys. I know most of us were thinking that Booker was being an a-hole, but Jackson said that he was proving a point with those. I know this isn't all of his turnovers, as he lost the ball when trying to create for himself too, but this is kind of interesting. The reporter than asked Booker about it and he admitted that it's true on a few of them.

I'm kind of encouraged about this, if this is actually true. Eventually, the guys will figure it out and be in the right places to score and this won't be a problem. This will also help Booker out and create more room for him to get things done.
Maybe I need to go back and watch all 7 of them again, but I saw mostly him being careless.
Per
Josh Jackson shines in blowout of Spurs; Suns gain a glimpse of what is possible
The Suns played with an energy that has been missing too often, especially at the start of games. Booker seemed intent on getting other players involved more than carrying the scoring load and finished with a career-best 12 assists. He also had seven turnovers, but Jackson said there was a message being delivered with some of those balls that sailed to places where there was no teammate waiting.

“One of the things he’s really been trying to show a lot of the guys on the team is the right spots to be in,” Jackson said. “Sometimes Devin, he’ll make a pass and it will be a turnover, and he does it to prove a point to a guy sometimes — to show them, ‘Hey, that’s where you’re supposed to be. That’s the open spot.’

“So, I think guys were just clicking. They were in the right spots at the right time. He’s an amazing player, and defenders respect him so much and he’s unselfish. So when he sees open guys, he’s going to get the ball to them.”

“A few times,” he said, with just a hint of a smile. “Just getting on the same page. But you know, it’s just knowing basketball, knowing basketball actions; time, score and possession, personnel. So when I’m bringing the ball up the floor, all of that is going through my head.

“But getting everybody on the same page is what I need to work on, being a leader. I think they saw it (against the Spurs); if you’re in the right spot, I’m going to make sure you get the ball and then we’re all going to be successful and winning games. So just making the right play.”

“Josh, being as talented as he is and accepting that role coming off the bench and coming out and performing night in and night out is very important,” Booker said. “I’ve always said since we drafted him, just his instincts for the game are unbelievable. He goes out there and he can defend, he can be that spark scoring if our offense isn’t going.”
Yeah, this seems like such an easy excuse to make--"Im a good passer. The only reason I threw it out of bounds is because I was passing it to where you were supposed to be, instead of where you were."

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Per

Yeah, this seems like such an easy excuse to make--"Im a good passer. The only reason I threw it out of bounds is because I was passing it to where you were supposed to be, instead of where you were."
I feed the guys who are showing the most hustle. If some guy in the front row drinking a beer is showing more hustle than my teammates, then he’s the guy who gets the ball.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 am
jonh wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:

Per

I feed the guys who are showing the most hustle. If some guy in the front row drinking a beer is showing more hustle than my teammates, then he’s the guy who gets the ball.
Right? Some of those lines for Beer are super long. It takes a lot of commitment(time and $) and hustle to get a beer.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:49 am
Cap wrote:
jonh wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Per

Right? Some of those lines for Beer are super long. It takes a lot of commitment(time and $) and hustle to get a beer.
Is that why there are so many empty seats? All the fans are stuck in beer lines instead of in their seats? It’s not that we don’t have loyal fans who are showing up, it’s that we’re driving them to drink.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Cap wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
jonh wrote:
Indy wrote:

Is that why there are so many empty seats? All the fans are stuck in beer lines instead of in their seats? It’s not that we don’t have loyal fans who are showing up, it’s that we’re driving them to drink.
You're telling me that the lack of seating is because Sarver has been critically understaffing his beer-dispensing employees? Im both convinced and not suprised. Cold nachos and now this.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Indy wrote:
Then his value is limited. Efficiency is more important than volume scoring.
Meh, plenty of efficient scorers never won a ring and plenty of volume scorers did. Booker can add more to his game, but the rest of the team needs to grow to the point that Booker is only double teamed, not triple and quadruple teamed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

jonh wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
jonh wrote:

You're telling me that the lack of seating is because Sarver has been critically understaffing his beer-dispensing employees? Im both convinced and not suprised. Cold nachos and now this.
Someone should do a timelapse of just the crowd and seating, and you may see all the seats being sat in at some point during the game, just never all at the same time, which would be more evidence to this theory. I mean, between beer lines and restroom breaks you could conceivably spend most of your time away from your seat, no?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:17 am
jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

Someone should do a timelapse of just the crowd and seating, and you may see all the seats being sat in at some point during the game, just never all at the same time, which would be more evidence to this theory. I mean, between beer lines and restroom breaks you could conceivably spend most of your time away from your seat, no?
That's how it works when I watch the team from home. I stepped away for a beer in 2010, and when I got back we had traded Steve and Amare for Canaan and Anderson.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 am
In2ition wrote:
jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

That's how it works when I watch the team from home. I stepped away for a beer in 2010, and when I got back we had traded Steve and Amare for Canaan and Anderson.
Beer lines confirmed.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

Do not go in there! Between the excessive drinking and the people who try to watch the team sober, it’s all the same result: the restrooms are like vomitoriums.