Game Day: Thunder (9-5) @ Suns (3-11), Sat 11/17/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Thunder (9-5) @ Suns (3-11), Sat 11/17/18

Post by ShelC »

The 3rd quarter is when things went off the rails for us. It was good to see us hanging tough but too many lapses on both ends for us to overcome. We still go thru stretches where it looks like we have no interest in playing defense or rebounding. Our offense is starting to look better and guys are looking more comfortable, but too many times we find ourselves with the shotclock running down and the guy with the ball 30 ft out.

Canaan sucks. He's just a body out there. I don't know why we signed Crawford not to play him, unless he's still working his way back.

Jackson seems more tuned in and is finding his spots offensively. The number of shots that have been blocked isn't surprising and something he needs to work on. It's almost like he makes his move knowing he's going to get blocked, which means he needs some counters instead of just driving towards the defense/help. He was also blocked on a layup attempt that I thought he could've gone up stronger on. He has a smooth, nonchalant style of play that gets him into trouble at times. I don't mind the fire from Jackson to TJ because at least he's showing he cares but that needs to translate his game as well.

Booker is struggling, physically and mentally it seems. I just think we're asking him to do too much handling and distributing.

Holmes gave us some good minutes but I think we need another backup big. Bender was Bender. I'd still look to give him minutes going forward to give him a chance to get back, but he doesn't do much to impact the game. He's got great size and should be more useful.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Booker’s 12 assists mean less to me when he scores less than 25 points and Canaan stands around at the 3 point line waiting to be hand fed a shot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder if Booker needs to sit for a game or two to get right.

I actually don't hate the way we have been playing the past 2-3 games. Not winning much, but at least being competitive and being in it. Our defense is still really bad. Even my wife notices it when I am watching the games. "They just let them run by and score!"

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

Not going to make excuses for Booker, he missed shots he has no business missing, but if you watch him run down the court during the game he doesn’t look right. Wish he’d take more time off.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:22 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 am
Unfortunately, Ayton was one rebound short of a double double and thus ended his streak.
Of 1 double-double?
Ha. post of the game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 pm
Xylus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Xylus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:41 pm
I wonder if JJ leads the league in most shots blocked
Not even close this season. BKRef has him with 5. Last year he lead the Suns by a wide margin with 82.
I mean most of his own shots blocked.
Yes. That's what that stat is.
Booker is on pace to obliterate that record this year. He has been blocked more times that anyone on our team, by far. On pace for 130 if he plays 75 games this year.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 pm
Xylus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Xylus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:41 pm
I wonder if JJ leads the league in most shots blocked
Not even close this season. BKRef has him with 5. Last year he lead the Suns by a wide margin with 82.
I mean most of his own shots blocked.
Yes. That's what that stat is.
Booker is on pace to obliterate that record this year. He has been blocked more times that anyone on our team, by far. On pace for 130 if he plays 75 games this year.
He's challenging himself to either pass or take a blockable shot on every touch. No easy shots this year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

After seeing the Thunder kill the Suns on the offensive boards, where Deandre was really concentrating on putting a body on Adams that other Thunder players were able to get the rebound, it seems even more necessary for the Suns to get an active rebounder at the PF position.

Suns needs:
1. A real pg that can distribute at a high level and pass to Ayton, can play defense and also hit open shots, while creating for themselves and others.
2. Need an energy player that brings up the energy of the starters.
3. Need a PF that can spread the floor, play defense, rebound as an alternative or secondary rebounder to Ayton, and a weakside shot blocker and backup shot blocker to Ayton.
4. Quality bench depth at each position, although the Suns have a lot of wings and a decent backup center.

This is another reason why Zion would fill the #2 and #3 needs, and possibly helps #4 and could help recruiting for #1 in the form of a FA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 am
After seeing the Thunder kill the Suns on the offensive boards, where Deandre was really concentrating on putting a body on Adams that other Thunder players were able to get the rebound, it seems even more necessary for the Suns to get an active rebounder at the PF position.

Suns needs:
1. A real pg that can distribute at a high level and pass to Ayton, can play defense and also hit open shots, while creating for themselves and others.
3. Need a PF that can spread the floor, play defense, rebound as an alternative or secondary rebounder to Ayton, and a weakside shot blocker and backup shot blocker to Ayton.
4. Quality bench depth at each position, although the Suns have a lot of wings and a decent backup center.

This is another reason why Zion would fill the #2 and #3 needs, and possibly helps #4 and could help recruiting for #1 in the form of a FA.
Draft aside, we are really hurting on the boards all season long. Warren and Booker aren't any better rebounders than they've ever been, Jackson is worse, and Ariza and Anderson are literally our best rebounders who aren't centers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That man is on our roster. His name is Dragan Bender. It is criminal that we have given up on him.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm
That man is on our roster. His name is Dragan Bender. It is criminal that we have given up on him.
Did you watch him the last 2 games he got some burn, both recently? Ouch.

On a side note, we should be playing Ayton at C and Holmes at PF for stretches. I think it could work.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I think Bender might still turn out to be a serviceable player but, unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be here for a number of reasons (some his fault, some the organization's fault). I think he's going to get a contract somewhere else and probably be a solid, unspectacular, contributor off the bench.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:20 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Did you watch him the last 2 games he got some burn, both recently? Ouch.

On a side note, we should be playing Ayton at C and Holmes at PF for stretches. I think it could work.
I wouldn't mind seeing that, with Warren at the SF, Bridges/Booker at the SG, and Crawford at the point? I think that might be an interesting lineup to see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 pm
In2ition wrote:

Suns needs:

Draft aside, we are really hurting on the boards all season long. Warren and Booker aren't any better rebounders than they've ever been, Jackson is worse, and Ariza and Anderson are literally our best rebounders who aren't centers.
You know who could help with rebounding? A Tyson Chandler or Alan Williams.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:

Suns needs:

That's a good assessment. Any chance Jones and Bukstein are working on fulfilling any of this? Haven't heard a peep. Every time Jones is on the radio, it sounds like he just wants to make the current roster work and it doesn't sound like he's working on any deals. I'm hoping that's just him being secretive but I don't know.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I like James Jones, but it's unfair what Sarver did to him in my opinion. Fired his boss right before the season started and gave him a mess of a roster that he has to fix with zero experience to draw from. It's why I'm not expecting any deals anytime soon.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 pm
I’m fine with JJ showing some fire. Warren should have come towards the pass rather than away from it.
Same. We NEED that fire from guys to fix the losing culture.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Suns needs:

We're getting good rebounding from the centers, so I don't know how much they would help.

We don't have great rebounders anywhere else on the roster, so everybody has to go out and get a couple more. Last year we had Payton, Harrison, House, Bender, Chriss, and Reed all rebounding better in their limited time than Booker/Warren. This season it's just Ariza and Anderson in that range between our scorers and centers. Bender is there too, but his sample size is tiny.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

djy2j wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 pm
I’m fine with JJ showing some fire. Warren should have come towards the pass rather than away from it.
Same. We NEED that fire from guys to fix the losing culture.
Yeah. This is one of the most important things we need to work on. Hold each other to a higher standard.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Suns needs:

We're getting good rebounding from the centers, so I don't know how much they would help.

We don't have great rebounders anywhere else on the roster, so everybody has to go out and get a couple more. Last year we had Payton, Harrison, House, Bender, Chriss, and Reed all rebounding better in their limited time than Booker/Warren. This season it's just Ariza and Anderson in that range between our scorers and centers. Bender is there too, but his sample size is tiny.
I have been one of the most critical of Booker's play this year... but it is hard to ask him to be a top scorer in the league (top 20), main guy in usage for us (top 10 in NBA), main assist guy for us (7th in the NBA), play a ton (3rd in MPG in NBA), and then say he isn't getting enough boards. He gets about the same TRB% as guys like Jrue and Klay. I would like it to be better, but I would take better awareness on off-ball defense than anything around his rebounding. We are asking him to do everything for us, and it looks like it is catching up to him.

TJ on the other hand does need to up his TRB% if he is going to keep playing 4 for us. And with Mikal looking so good, I would assume we need to keep TJ at 4 (unless we just want to start Book at PG and stop pretending we are using Canaan as anything but a spot up shooter).