Game Day: Pacers (12-8) @ Suns (4-15), Tues 11/27/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Pacers (12-8) @ Suns (4-15), Tues 11/27/18

Post by Mori Chu »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 am
I can't blame Igor. He has no playable power forwards, and no playable PGs. No other team in the league is so badly hosed at not just one, but two positions.
Josh Jackson at PG, Dragan Bender at PF. Put them out there. :-)

I watched most of this game while playing with / taking care of baby. It really felt like we were going to win it; Booker was doing crazy Booker things and hitting big shots, TJ Warren was having a great game. Then Turner hit a dagger 3 and it was over.

I wasn't really mad about this loss. We felt like a real NBA team. Ayton is awesome. They were trying harder, they were generally doing okay out there, they felt competitive. If we play this well every night, we will not end the season as the worst team in the NBA. I just want effort and some solid performances and I got that tonight. I can live with a 5-point loss that basically came down to 1 shot against an Eastern playoff team.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

azsportsfan wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 am
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 am
I can't blame Igor. He has no playable power forwards, and no playable PGs. No other team in the league is so badly hosed at not just one, but two positions.

Literally, no one could win with this team's roster.

The question is: when will Suns management realize this and actually do something about it? Are they just going to spend the whole season with this roster, or are they going to make a move in December? Or wait until the trade deadline and kick the wheels on someone like Elfrid Payton?

Also, given the dismal state of the PF position, why not bring back Alan Williams on a vet min contract? It could not get worse, given we have no playable PFs right now.
Big Sauce is "owned" by the Nets on a two-way. So are you advocating they trade for him?

On that thought, it would be kind of cool if the NBA looked at player loans, kind of like pro soccer. We could take Williams and pay his salary, plus a kicker to the Nets, and he would play for us but still be owned by the Nets. Considerations and insurance for injury and what not would of course be made. It helps the Nets because their player is playing in the NBA and they can evaluate without needing to play him themselves. It helps the Suns because they get a player they can use and don't have any long-term ties if it doesn't work out. With the expanded use of the G-league it may be a boon to the league and to the G-league players who show the drive to replace bench fodder in the NBA.
Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is how player loans works in soccer, but that is what I am imagining.
Oops. I thought the Nets had cut him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Wiliams is the the answer. He's really a backup 5 like Holmes. And we still need more athleticism on the floor. Our 2nd unit last night was flying around because it was Crawford (still a great athlete), Jackson, and Holmes. Our core starters - Booker, Ayton, Warren - aren't above the rim players. Bridges has young legs, but I don't think he's an overly athletic guy in general.

And I don't think it's lost on management that we need a PG, it's whether there's a deal for what we're offering that's in question.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:48 pm
What frustrates me is that we haven't seen Okobo since his best outing as a Sun. He gives us his best performance and then we decide he needs to go to the G League.
Very frustrating. He was starting to understand where his opportunities would come.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Well at least this way he will get a lot more playing time for awhile. He will be back.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't mind Okobo getting some time to kick some ass down in the D/G League while he grows and improves. It's a long season. I hope Melton plays down there a lot, too. But I do worry that D/G League play won't help my main concern with Melton, which is his chucking. D-League games seem to be chuck fests and I don't think he'll want to pass to those guys much.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 pm
Well at least this way he will get a lot more playing time for awhile. He will be back.
He has been back. They sent him down for like 2 games. Didn't make any sense. And I am a proponent of using the G League.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He was back and in a big way tonight.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm
I don't mind Okobo getting some time to kick some ass down in the D/G League while he grows and improves. It's a long season. I hope Melton plays down there a lot, too. But I do worry that D/G League play won't help my main concern with Melton, which is his chucking. D-League games seem to be chuck fests and I don't think he'll want to pass to those guys much.
Okobo played in 2 games, averaged 18/5/9/2.5TO and shot poorly.
https://gleague.nba.com/player/elie-okobo/

Melton has played in 5 games averaging 17/7/6.6/4.5 TO and shot poorly.
https://gleague.nba.com/player/deanthony-melton/

I think it's tough to get in a rhythm with your team when it's one game here and another game there. If I send someone to the NAZSuns, I'd leave them there for long enough to make some adjustments to that team and actually learn something.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan