Game Day: Pacers (12-8) @ Suns (4-15), Tues 11/27/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Maldonado

Re: Game Day: Pacers (12-8) @ Suns (4-15), Tues 11/27/18

Post by Maldonado »

Ariza sleep walking out there, Holmes out there putting in work.
#SarverOut

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Until the Suns get a viable PF and PG we're not going to see consistent wins from them.

To many SFs trying to guard bigger players in the paint and getting beat on the boards and zero production at all from their PGs.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:19 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm
Ariza is terrible. I know we were down 5 but that full court pass between 2 or 3 defenders was just stupid. I'd get rid of him tomorrow if I could. Hot garbage and clearly doesn't care. That was one of the most pathetic excuses for a pass I've seen in a long time.
Threw the game away with that pass.
Unfortunately they were out of timeouts and there was no one in the backcourt to take the inbounds pass.

True, Ariza has been terrible, but he doesn't deserve all the blame on that last play. There's plenty to go around.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

NBA's Worst -

New York - 7-15
Chicago - 5-16
Atlanta - 5-16
Cleveland - 4-15
Phoenix 4-16

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

The Bobster wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Second time TJ left a shooter open.
It's what you get when you play a switching defense, but in the Suns' case they always seem to leave the wrong guy open.
Neither of those mistakes were because of switches.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Thought we were going to pull this one off. Would have too if we had a competent coach. It's pretty clear Igor isn't the guy that's going to fix this mess.

Canaan has something on Igor. There's no other explanation for him being on the court.

Ariza is here for the paycheck. Nothing else.

I don't like where Ayton is trending. He's closer to Bender than he is Shaq on toughness. I don't have faith in the coaching to fix it either.

Jackson's first half was terrifying but the 2nd half was much better.

Another good game from Holmes and Crawford.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

n4th4n wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Second time TJ left a shooter open.
It's what you get when you play a switching defense, but in the Suns' case they always seem to leave the wrong guy open.
Neither of those mistakes were because of switches.
To me, that last one looked like he halfway committed himself but got caught in no-man's land.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 pm
Even Josh playing better can't fix having Canaan on the floor.
The only thing I can figure is that Igor thinks he is allow a vet to play out of a slump. Canaan's November has been (in chronological order): 3 good games, 3 bad games, 1 great game, 1 solid game, 5 stinkers.

But yeah, it's time try Melton/Okobo again.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

What frustrates me is that we haven't seen Okobo since his best outing as a Sun. He gives us his best performance and then we decide he needs to go to the G League.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 pm
Spoiler: show/hide
Trolling as usual
Not my fault if you've never heart that expression before. You can use Google to see what it means if that image you quoted wasn't clear enough.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

I just don't get the coaching hate. He has taken a poorly constructed roster and has them playing leaps and bounds better than just 2 weeks ago. Of course we want wins, but that is tough to do with the poor shooting that has been creeping in lately. Not an excuse, just a fact. Yeah, he is playing Caanan. And no one is happy about that. But let him work with two rookies for now. The only starters that he can stagger are Booker and Warren (and maybe some Ayton). Ariza or Bridges is not going to make the second team offense any better.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nobody has mentioned this but Canaan was in the lineup that got the Suns back in the game and he hit a couple of critical shots in that run.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 pm
I just don't get the coaching hate. He has taken a poorly constructed roster and has them playing leaps and bounds better than just 2 weeks ago. Of course we want wins, but that is tough to do with the poor shooting that has been creeping in lately. Not an excuse, just a fact. Yeah, he is playing Caanan. And no one is happy about that. But let him work with two rookies for now. The only starters that he can stagger are Booker and Warren (and maybe some Ayton). Ariza or Bridges is not going to make the second team offense any better.
Agreed. People are just sniping at anything that moves right now. The foster needs adjustment and the players need familiar roles to settle into - and eventually grow from.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

azsportsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 pm
He needs to take Ayton or Warren out earlier in the first quarter and bring them back in with the bench unit. If you have to then take them out for another few minutes halfway through the second quarter, so be it. But it’s basic coaching to know that you can’t keep taking out the only 3 players that create offense all at once. We get hammered at that point every night.

Also, I never want to see Canaan on the court while Booker is on. Those minutes should absolutely go to Crawford. And really Id prefer all his minutes went to Okobo.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Canaan has something on Igor. There's no other explanation for him being on the court.
I don't think it's on Igor, I think it's on Jones, Sarver and the rest of the management. Canaan should not even have made team over Shaq Harrison and yet he did and is still playing minutes despite being one of the worst at his position. Jones and Sarver have sympathy for him because of his horrific injury last season and I think it's likely that they have told Igor that Canaan has to be kept in the rotation.

Sure the argument can be made that it's because Suns have nobody else to play at PG but that's why we spent a very high 2nd rd pick on Okobo and also acquired Melton in the summer. Those guys aren't gonna develop without minutes.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Keep gettin dem checks, Trevor.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saw most of the 2nd half when the bench mob turned it around and loved what I saw. The bench guys - Jackson, Crawford, Holmes - really brought it and got us back in the game. Warren was exceptional scoring the ball and Jackson had some fantastic plays during that stretch in the 3rd. I had a feeling there'd be a letdown when some of the starters came back in and that's what happened. Others have said it: Ariza is sleepwalking and collecting checks from us. Feels like he's not even hiding it and it's getting to be insulting. I don't want to hate him because we're the ones who brought him here on an overpay, but the sooner he's gone the better.

Canaan hit some big shots for us during the 3rd-4th Qtr stretch but yea, he's awful. I get that maybe we need a PG out there to hit shots and Canaan can (theoretically) do that, but he's just not any good. Would rather Jackson or Crawford handle the ball with the 2nd unit or get Melton/Okobo some run.

Igor's made some questionable decisions and subs but I can't/won't be critical. He's got a bad roster and is figuring things out. I've also seen a noticeable difference from the start of the season until now on both sides of the ball so something is starting to click. I still wish we'd make more ofa concerted effort to get Ayton the ball. Felt like Holmes was getting the ball inside every possession with the 2nd unit while we ignore Ayton with the starters. Crawford at least seems to understand and knows how to throw an entry pass.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I can't blame Igor. He has no playable power forwards, and no playable PGs. No other team in the league is so badly hosed at not just one, but two positions.

Literally, no one could win with this team's roster.

The question is: when will Suns management realize this and actually do something about it? Are they just going to spend the whole season with this roster, or are they going to make a move in December? Or wait until the trade deadline and kick the wheels on someone like Elfrid Payton?

Also, given the dismal state of the PF position, why not bring back Alan Williams on a vet min contract? It could not get worse, given we have no playable PFs right now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Let's wait until December 15th. We need a move, and it has to include a replacement for Ariza and Canaan.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 am
I can't blame Igor. He has no playable power forwards, and no playable PGs. No other team in the league is so badly hosed at not just one, but two positions.

Literally, no one could win with this team's roster.

The question is: when will Suns management realize this and actually do something about it? Are they just going to spend the whole season with this roster, or are they going to make a move in December? Or wait until the trade deadline and kick the wheels on someone like Elfrid Payton?

Also, given the dismal state of the PF position, why not bring back Alan Williams on a vet min contract? It could not get worse, given we have no playable PFs right now.
Big Sauce is "owned" by the Nets on a two-way. So are you advocating they trade for him?

On that thought, it would be kind of cool if the NBA looked at player loans, kind of like pro soccer. We could take Williams and pay his salary, plus a kicker to the Nets, and he would play for us but still be owned by the Nets. Considerations and insurance for injury and what not would of course be made. It helps the Nets because their player is playing in the NBA and they can evaluate without needing to play him themselves. It helps the Suns because they get a player they can use and don't have any long-term ties if it doesn't work out. With the expanded use of the G-league it may be a boon to the league and to the G-league players who show the drive to replace bench fodder in the NBA.
Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is how player loans works in soccer, but that is what I am imagining.