Suns News: Week 8 12/3-12/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 8 12/3-12/9

Post by Split T »

I had Bridges and SGA essentially tied on my board. I love that we got Bridges and won’t complain, but if we really could have had SGA for the Milwaukee pick instead of Bridges for the Miami pick, I would have leaned towards SGA. I’m not gonna worry about it though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:09 pm
I don’t really see how it was a Bridges or SGA situation. At least not in the way it’s been explained. The clippers had already traded for SGA when we made the Bridges trade.

It’s possible we had a discussion about trading up for either Bridges or SGA and decided on Bridges, but just failed to pull off a trade. You’d think we would’ve just done the SGA trade once we failed to get Bridges though. Unless philly gave us some kind of indication that they’d be willing to still move Bridges.
It's kind of simple.
1. They talked about all three trades prior to the 11th pick happening.
2. Sarver vetoed the trade for the 11th pick for 16 and the Mil pick.
3. They also turned down the 16th for a future unprotected #1 from mystery team. (Was that all it was?)
4. When the 16th pick came back up the Suns were prepared to take Donte but Zaire Smith was available, so the Sixers called the Suns and asked for the 16th and the Miami pick. Sarver gave the OK.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:50 pm
4. When the 16th pick came back up the Suns were prepared to take Donte but Zaire Smith was available, so the Sixers called the Suns and asked for the 16th and the Miami pick. Sarver gave the OK.
This is the type of shit that pisses me off. Sarver is the defacto GM. Fuck that guy.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am
What's going on with TJ? Does anyone remember when he hurt his ankle? Maybe it happened in practice, but has anyone seen him at the game on the sidelines? Maybe it's me, and I've noticed Booker, but haven't noticed Warren at all in the past couple games. Sounds like he's out for this game tonight too.
I was just about to ask this. They said "ankle soreness"--but did he ever sprain it? And how is it keeping him out this long? It seems our media doesn't even try to find answers.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:30 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am
What's going on with TJ? Does anyone remember when he hurt his ankle? Maybe it happened in practice, but has anyone seen him at the game on the sidelines? Maybe it's me, and I've noticed Booker, but haven't noticed Warren at all in the past couple games. Sounds like he's out for this game tonight too.
I was just about to ask this. They said "ankle soreness"--but did he ever sprain it? And how is it keeping him out this long? It seems our media doesn't even try to find answers.
Right. Never remember him being injured.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:50 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:09 pm
I don’t really see how it was a Bridges or SGA situation. At least not in the way it’s been explained. The clippers had already traded for SGA when we made the Bridges trade.

It’s possible we had a discussion about trading up for either Bridges or SGA and decided on Bridges, but just failed to pull off a trade. You’d think we would’ve just done the SGA trade once we failed to get Bridges though. Unless philly gave us some kind of indication that they’d be willing to still move Bridges.
It's kind of simple.
1. They talked about all three trades prior to the 11th pick happening.
3. They also turned down the 16th for a future unprotected #1 from mystery team. (Was that all it was?)
Sure, but that doesn’t fit with the story given by Bob Young, is all I’m saying. His source is obviously McD who said he had a trade lined up for SGA but Sarver vetoed it because he wanted Bridges instead. We didn’t know Bridges was available at the time. The story just made them seem more connected than the actually were.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 pm
I also prefer just Ariza for Collison.
Indiana won't make that trade. You could probably get Tyreke Evans for Ariza.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I’m actually glad to hear that players and coaches are angry about the Suns being non~competitive. It’s better than them just not caring.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 234658002/

Frustrations boil over after Suns blow it in first quarter again, this time to Trail Blazers
From rookie Mikal Bridges and Kokoskov having friction during the game to Deandre Ayton and Devin Booker exchanging words afterward, there’s clearly tension and a disconnect with this team right now.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I think people may be making something out of nothing with the Bridges/Kokoskov thing. I think he may have just been putting his hands up to show the coach what he was doing on defense, and that he didn't think he fouled him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

By the way, Bender got 25 minutes tonight. I thought he was great. Numbers don't pop out in the box score, but he actually plays defense, unlike most of our guys. His shooting is pretty bad from distance, but I'd be tight too if I didn't get any minutes all year. Just let the kid play a bunch at PF and he'll make up for most of Ayton's flaws. We're really screwing up our development of Bender.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 pm
I also prefer just Ariza for Collison.
Indiana won't make that trade. You could probably get Tyreke Evans for Ariza.
Perhaps, although Tyreke is not exactly what we need (at least once Booker is back). It is said Dipo could miss the rest of the season with his knee injury, so if I were IND I'd want to keep Reke instead of Collison since I also have Holiday and Joseph.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Suns are the first team since the addition of the shot clock (1954-55) to have back-to-back games with less than 10 1st quarter points.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

ha! I was just about to post that.

I wonder how many more dubious records the Suns will record this year.

The team is on pace for 13 wins this season.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

The Ringer published a little thing on Josh Jackson & Mikal trending in opposite directions: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/12/7 ... s-shooting
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:10 am
ha! I was just about to post that.

I wonder how many more dubious records the Suns will record this year.

The team is on pace for 13 wins this season.

The sites I've seen that simulate the season's results (like Basketball-Reference.com and FiveThirtyEight.com) put them around 20 wins.

Even that would be an embarrassment.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

It is like "The Producers." Sarver has to be intentionally having the team lose by screwing everything up.

SDC

Post by SDC »

time to shut down ariza.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if the suns pick in the top 3 next season, josh jackson might not survive the purge.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:38 am
I’m actually glad to hear that players and coaches are angry about the Suns being non~competitive. It’s better than them just not caring.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 234658002/

Frustrations boil over after Suns blow it in first quarter again, this time to Trail Blazers
From rookie Mikal Bridges and Kokoskov having friction during the game to Deandre Ayton and Devin Booker exchanging words afterward, there’s clearly tension and a disconnect with this team right now.
I am glad people are getting upset, but it pissed me off to see rookie Bridges trying to blow off his coach when he was coming out of the game. If your coach is trying to talk to you, you listen. That was petty of him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

When it comes to this site, I am a completist. It really bothers me to see unread posts. But I just can't bring myself to open the Kings or Portland thread yet. Ugh.