Suns News: Week 8 12/3-12/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: Week 8 12/3-12/9

Post by In2ition »

I wish the government would intervene. It's clear at this point that the Suns are affecting global climate change to the negative and it's undeniable.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 pm
I wish the government would intervene. It's clear at this point that the Suns are affecting global climate change to the negative and it's undeniable.
I wish we could appoint a special counsel to investigate Sarver and get him thrown out!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

the fact that such stuff especially from local media is getting put out there is sad. it's a lil over the top (typical Gambo) but it really isn't a good look that Ayton's energy been poor so often that these sorta comments getting made. a while back I said that it is one thing to play against a high energy guy say a Harrell and then watch film and have coaches point out times he beat you on the glass or whatever. my question is Richaun obviously plays one way all the time which I would figure includes practice so wouldn't Richaun be showing up Ayton the same way and if so shouldn't Igor be ripping him and why is he not learning/adjusting

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1070174846561079296

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

^You really think that comment is over the top? I was thinking the same damn thing. At least Holmes looks like he wants to be out there.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 pm
^You really think that comment is over the top? I was thinking the same damn thing. At least Holmes looks like he wants to be out there.
we all getting annoyed with this energy/motor situation. I'm not against sending a message but if we go that route I think quick hooks or 4th quarter benchings would be how I would do it. there been games when Igor brought him back in the 4th and some of us were like why take Richaun out so the whole "closing with Ayton" thing would be what I would make fluid situation rather than starting
like I said though, for me the bigger issue is that this is even a debate to be having already
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

The darkest hour is just before the dawn.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The fans should stop going to games until Sarver puts a competitive team on the court. Maybe we can freeze him out and force him to sell. It’s already half empty. Make it completely empty. That would send a message. I’m not buying any more Suns merchandise until Sarver sells or puts a competitive team on the court. We’ve easily got the worst front office in the league. At least we had The Timeline before. Sarver even took that away from us. We are currently rudderless with no signs of things getting better.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don't think we are that far away. We are just missing a few pieces and some experience. It’s not Sarvers fault Booker and Warren are hurt unless we blame him for making Booker a PG for the year and overtaxing him and assuming that’s why he got injured. Picking The Ayton pick was sort of a no brainer. It was either him or Doncic. Most of the planet assumed we would pick him. He doesn’t suck. He needs improvement in areas.

I am not a big fan of Sarver but, I think he is trying and isn’t just going through the motions like some owners. If anything he is too hands on. He is also inexperienced and as a rookie owner has made some rookie mistakes. Whether we like him or not nobody else bought the team, he did. We have aquired some nice pieces in the draft. Booker, Ayton, Warren, Bridges are definite keepers. Some others not so much but, that’s what happens in the NBA.

I still think we are a PG and a bruiser PF away from success in our starting 5. Holmes, Bridges are competant BU’s and maybe Daniels. Everybody else? They haven’t proven themselves and may or may not.

I see a lot of people giving up. I still see the glass half full.

SDC

Post by SDC »

at least when philly dumped hinkie, they transitioned to byran colangelo, a two time executive of the year winner.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 am
I don't think we are that far away. We are just missing a few pieces and some experience. It’s not Sarvers fault Booker and Warren are hurt unless we blame him for making Booker a PG for the year and overtaxing him and assuming that’s why he got injured. Picking The Ayton pick was sort of a no brainer. It was either him or Doncic. Most of the planet assumed we would pick him. He doesn’t suck. He needs improvement in areas.

I am not a big fan of Sarver but, I think he is trying and isn’t just going through the motions like some owners. If anything he is too hands on. He is also inexperienced and as a rookie owner has made some rookie mistakes. Whether we like him or not nobody else bought the team, he did. We have aquired some nice pieces in the draft. Booker, Ayton, Warren, Bridges are definite keepers. Some others not so much but, that’s what happens in the NBA.

I still think we are a PG and a bruiser PF away from success in our starting 5. Holmes, Bridges are competant BU’s and maybe Daniels. Everybody else? They haven’t proven themselves and may or may not.

I see a lot of people giving up. I still see the glass half full.
The team is playing worse every year. And I thought it was known that Sarver is much too hands on?
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... vin-booker

And this is the only explanation I can come up with for the dumpster fire this team is. In the last couple of seasons we've had several coaches, front offices, completely different rosters. There's not way all of our coaches were this terrible, and a lot of players we've had play very well on other teams. But here everything failed, and Sarver is the only constant.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if sarver thinks keeping james jones to get on lebron's good side is going to pay off in the future, he is sadly mistaken.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The one thing that concerned me prior to the draft and is becoming more of a concern for me watching these games is that we may have taken the physical specimen/athlete over the basketball player. If Ayton doesn't really love the game and isn't a "basketball player" in his heart, there's only so much we can ask of him. I'm not saying we should've drafted Luka, but this thing needs to be addressed.

I brought up the observation about his energy/motor early in the season and people thought I was overreacting and picking on Ayton. They said "of course the coaches are pointing this stuff out"....well, are they? Ayton is still asleep during games, still flatfooted watching other guys get rebounds, we're still getting beat the same way in transition and on backdoor cuts (not his fault, more about the team). So at this point, I gotta start looking at the coaches as well. It's their job to get the players ready and correct any mistakes and that's either not happening or the players aren't responding.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

SDC wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 am
at least when philly dumped hinkie, they transitioned to byran colangelo, a two time executive of the year winner.
How did that work out for them?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

SDC wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 am
And they all wanted Ayton so they can zip it.

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:37 am
SDC wrote:

they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his first full season with the sixers

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If you put Luka Doncic on this team instead and is it going to be any better?

No. So enough of this ridiculous "regret not picking Donic" shit.

It's drafting Len, Chriss, Bender and Jackson that have caused this shitshow.
Last edited by The Bobster on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

SDC wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:53 am
The Bobster wrote:
SDC wrote:

they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his first full season with the sixers
And ultimately what happened with the Colangelos there?

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 am
SDC wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:53 am
The Bobster wrote:
SDC wrote:

And ultimately what happened with the Colangelos there?
bill simmons blogsite sabotaged the sixers. its nice they waited after phillys playoff run to reveal this

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

From Bob Young at The Athletic...small snippet but man does it irritate me.

And the Suns have other young players, their own first-round pick (which now looks awfully attractive) and a Milwaukee first-round pick from the Eric Bledsoe trade that the Bucks would convey only if they are picking from No. 4 to 16 in 2019 or Nos. 1-7 in 2020. It is unprotected in 2021.

It’s worth noting that the Suns wouldn’t be in this fix if Robert Sarver, the club’s managing partner, had not reportedly overruled his then-general manager, Ryan McDonough, on draft night.

McDonough reportedly planned to package the club’s pick from Milwaukee and a player taken with the 16th pick to move up and draft Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, a point guard from Kentucky.

When Philadelphia offered the rights to Mikal Bridges for the rights to Zhaire Smith and Miami’s unprotected 2021 first-round pick, Sarver pushed for that deal. So the Suns moved up six spots to add their fourth young wing player.

Even the choice to move up for SGA was not the preferred strategy.

Another NBA team had an offer on the table for the Suns’ 16th pick in exchange for a future unprotected first-round pick. That would have given the Suns two future unprotected picks and Milwaukee’s future pick to use in a deal for an established point guard.

Instead, Sarver preferred to move up. So imagine for a moment Gilgeous-Alexander in a future lineup with Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton, T.J. Warren and Josh Jackson.